The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #21 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Great place to stay for either personal or business. The rooms are huge, including the bathrooms. Pool is great, on Chapel street so close to everything, there is parking if you hrie a car. What more could you ask for in a hotel. Because I go for business I like to use the gym which is a little small, minor thing in the scheme of things.

Room Tip: Studio rooms are extra large
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel

Reviewed June 7, 2011

the como is a fantastic location,very clean room with a friendly team.
always happy to go back!

Room Tip: all rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
ComoMel, General Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2011

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards

Rhys Blight
Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 6, 2011

We were in melbourne for a one night charity performance. There were a bunch of people with various needs and under lots of pressure. The staff bent over backwards to make everything smooth and hassle free. They were patient and friendly and lots of fun. The rooms are stylish and well laid out. I loved relaxing in the spa, sauna and pool before the big night. We were even allowed to kick up our heels till late after the show in a corner of the hotel where we could have fun without disturbing other guests, What more could you want?

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

I will pass your comments on to our team as I am sure this will serve as encouragement for them.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards

Rhys Blight
Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 18, 2011

My partner surprised me by taking me to this little gem for my birthday. We arrived here and were greeted by one of the loveliest concierge I have ever encountered. I think she may have been French by her lovely accent.

Nothing was too hard for her to manage. My partner made me wait in the car to discuss 'the finer details' as to what was in store for the evening and was greeted by personalized service, friendliness and some witty humour.

The valet swiftly took the car and we were whisked to our rooms. Their hotel lobby was just the right amount of style and not over the top. Some key pieces and well decorated.

The room my partner got us was a beautiful penthouse. It was a pity about our views (carpark across the road) but when you go to cosmopolitan South Yarra, you can't always expect breathtaking views. Having said that, I'm sure in the other side of the building there would've been some city views. This is all in hindsight mind you - at the time, you really don't think about this at all.

I walked in and had champagne, chocolate-covered strawberries waiting. The couch comfy and the lighting supplied was perfect for romance.

The room has a small kitchenette with a dining table and chairs. Everything was spotless.

The lounge and bedroom were the one room and they cleverly placed a swiveling tv set in the middle of the room to act as a separator of both rooms whilst allowing you to turn the tv to be able to watch from the lounge or the comfort of your king size bed (a real king size, too - not an imitation or two king singles next to each other).

Bathroom was clean and spacious. Bathtub was deep and ling but hard for more than one person at a time to enjoy. We tried both of us but gave up after 5 mins.

The Como also had an 'emergency' kit for around $35 which had all your 'essentials' such as deodorant, toothbrushes, romance 'things' and plenty more comforts you way wish to have. This allows you to whisk someone away without the need for packing toiletries!

Sleep quality was great and late check out (I think it was 1pm) an extra plus. We also organised in-house masseuse which came very promptly. The price is standard for this type of service and the massage quality was good (7.5/10).

We had breakfast there and I remember the coffee being pretty good (that's right, I got coffee off the menu from the barrista at an additional charge) and the quality of the food I remember to be quite good.

Overall, my scores are as follows:
Concierge: 9.5/10
Overall package price: unsure as surprise but one of the best nights I've ever had so priceless
Room quality: 8.5/10
Rubber ducky (complimentary): 9/10
Como robes: 8.5/10
Sleep quality: 9/10
Strawberries & Chocolates: 9/10 (real milk chocolate! Try to get extra!!)
Champagne: Moét & Chandon 9/10
Spa bath: 8/10
Masseuse: 7.5/10
Breakfast: 8.5/10
Late check out: 9.5/10
Views: 5/10
Sun block curtains: 9/10 (truly, they blocked all sun so we could sleep in!)

Romance package: 9/10
Location: 9/10
Amenities: 9/10

Would recommend: couples for romance.
Also recommend: get there earlier during the day to enjoy the richness of South Yarra and its surrounds. We arrived at 11pm from dinner elsewhere but this area has a lot to boast. Take advantage if you can.

Any questions (other than price as I don't know) please let me know!

Cheers,
CozyPrincess

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CozyPrincess
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Went for a weekend in April. Loved every second of it. Staff where friendly and made us fell very welcome.
Rooms where amazing! Much more then we needed.
Very spacious and clean however one bad thing we found was a used bar of soap in the bath. Over all were very happy with the room.
We will be staying at this hotel again! :)

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 7, 2011

stayed for one night in the 90s when I lived in Melbourne. From what I remember it was pretty nice with decent location.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2011

The location for tourists is can't be faulted, on top of the busy Toorak Road and Chapel Street shopping precincts and a 10 minute walk from the Richmond restaurant strip. Business travellers should stay elsewhere unless your business is nearby, as peak hour traffic in Melbourne can be difficult.

The service and property are under standard and so are poor value for money.

Service was condescending, reeked of attitude and everything no matter how small was slow. The gap between other at other five-star Melbourne properties and Como is wide. Perhaps management should secret shop themselves and their competitors so they can better understand what 5 star service in Melbourne is nowadays.

The rooms were clearly top of the line when they were first built. But now they are tired and need work. The beds are of lower quality that what one finds in other 5 star Melbourne hotels.

I suppose you could live with all of the above with low rates. But the rates are high.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo