“Great location”

Quest Southbank Melbourne
Ranked #51 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 1, 2014

We had a two bedroom apartment. Double bed in one room with ensuite, huge. Two single beds in another and had a foldaway bed. Kitchen was good, fridge, oven, microwave, dishwasher. Only thing I hate about the kitchens is the pans. They are old fashioned and everything sticks to them!!!! Big laundry, dining table and couches near the windows for the view. Security is good. Car park is tight, good if you have a little car........short walk to Southbank precinct, 5-10mins. Easy access through Arts centre carpark to St Kilda Road. Was perfect for our two night stay

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Soni M
Jeremy L, General Manager at Quest Southbank Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2014

Dear Soni M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review!

Great to read that you thought our apartments were well laid out and spacious. Also nice to hear that you liked our location. It is quite easy to get from here to the different parts of the city!

Hopefully we can welcome you and your friends back in the future!

Reviewed August 31, 2014

We stayed at the Quest with our daughter, her husband and baby. The apartment was relatively small, but had two bathrooms (one on-suite in the main bedroom). The room and its amenities are starting to show signs of ware and tear. There is on-site parking for $20 per night. The location is very convenient if you are attending events at the MCG, Rod Laver Arena, Etihad Stadium or want to do some shopping at the DFO outlets on Southbank. It is also just a 20 minutes walk into the CBD.

Dear Howard N,

Thank you for posting your review. Glad to hear you liked our convenient location.

Depending on which direction you walk, it should normally only take about 7 minutes to get into the CBD (go through Southgate and over the pedestrian bridge to Flinders St).

I hope we see you and your family again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 30, 2014

I think there are issues with Quest apartments that transcends different locations. The stay was average and was made worse by being charged for internet use, I paid $90 for a very slow speed internet that only allowed two gadgets at a time. In the past month I have had bad experiences with Quest apartments and I'm going to avoid them until they understand that we also want value for our money. The equipment and furnisher is old and this is compounded by poor housekeeping........

1  Thank Siphov
Jeremy L, General Manager at Quest Southbank Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2014

Dear Siphov,

Thank you for posting your review and I am sorry that Quest Serviced Apartments as a whole does not seem to be matching your expectations.

With regards to your specific feedback regarding the age of the fittings and furniture in our apartment, we are in the process of replacing a number of items in the apartments to counter this.

It seems that the only place people are happy to actually pay for their internet access is at their home, so businesses that have to charge for it will always be unpopular with certain clients.

I do hope these issues did not ruin your family's holiday to Melbourne.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Was very disappointed with our 1 night stay which began badly at check in. I arrived after driving 4 hrs with 2 young kids to be told I needed a $300 credit card bond. On the wotif confirmation, that I had been provided with from my husbands company that booked the room, it only stated a valid credit card was needed. Apparently when booking it states about the $300 bond needed which was not passed on to me by the company. I consider that it is also Quests responsibility to make this clear on the booking confirmation.

Anyway they would not check us in because I didn't have that amount on my visa debit card so I had to wait 3 hrs until my husband arrived for him to put it on his card. When we checked out the next morning they informed me it would take at least 5 business days for the money to appear in his account again. I requested that something be done to make this process quicker which they said they would. 2 days later the money was still not available so I had to ring them again and they apologised saying they would fax the bank. We then received access to our money a day later. I understand they need a guarantee in case of damage but the not listing it on the confirmation sheet is what annoyed me the most.

The 1 bedroom apartment was nice enough and bed comfy but the AC unit was extremely noisy, the shower screen did nothing to stop the water from flowing everywhere on the floor and the freezer was disgusting in need of a good clean and defrost. So overall quite disappointed with our stay especially after giving it such good reviews after our stay 8 yrs ago.

Dear katie07,

Thank you for posting your feedback and please accept my apology that you and your family were delayed on checking in.

Unfortunately we have no control over the booking confirmation that Wotif.com sends out - this is entirely generated by them. We state as clearly as possible on their website that we take a $300 security bond on arrival and this is again displayed during the booking process. As I said previously we cannot alter what Wotif.com send out.

If you book with us directly - either by phone or email or our website - it clearly states about the security bond on the confirmation paperwork we send out.

As for the duration of the hold on the funds, this should have been explained to you on check-in, I will take steps to make sure this is happening.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Having stayed here several times in past years (most recently c.2010), this return visit after a long break was a business and pleasure trip to Melbourne. The building is in a quiet part of the South Bank, a short walk to the Art Gallery, Recital Centre, theatres and concert halls. Also easy to get to Flinders St Station and the city.

The apartment seemed a little worn out compared to last stay, with a few strange problems - very strong cold air flow through gaps to service shafts in the bathroom and kitchen range hood. The freezer was blocked with ice and needed defrosting. Shower head gave an unsatisfying flow of water. Sink plugs supplied did not function correctly (the staff worked quickly to fix this last, fixable problem and in all other ways were very helpful). And there was painting work on our floor during the stay, in public areas - so on the plus side there is maintenance happening.

In previous stays I had not been in the layout of suite which I had this time. The bedroom was an interior room with no window and even in winter felt airless and stuffy, and this was compounded by very hot bed linen. Overall, while the stay was still enjoyable, it felt like a slip from previous visits in past years.

Room Tip: Try to secure a suite with bedroom that has window.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Infrawolf,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and nice to hear you have been staying with us for many years. I am sorry to you experienced a few issues with your room, but good to read that our staff worked quickly and were helpful when needed.

Our internal bedrooms in our 1 Bedroom and Executive 1 Bedroom apartments are a little decisive... some corporate clients like them for the added quiet and darkness, while other travellers prefer to have the natural light. Nearly all of our 88 apartments have a balcony, so that should help with air flow.

I hope that you stay again in the future - so that you can experience some of the new features and soft refurbishments we are conducting this year.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed here for work and was OK nothing fantastic. Room was a decent size although a little dated and a few stains around the place. Staff were reasonably friendly and helpful.

I did note a couple having to pay a $300 bond when checking in which I thought was a little expensive especially if you are not expecting to outlay the money. Sure you get it back but not for 7 days or something.

Location is OK and you can walk to the casino in around 7 mins and city center in about 15.

This place is OK and there is nothing majorly wrong with it just don't expect it to be amazing.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Jeremy L, General Manager at Quest Southbank Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Gareth H,

Thank you for posting your thoughts.

We take all of our guests feedback very seriously and to this point we have made quite a few "soft" refurbishment changes so far in 2014 and have a few more planned before the end of the year. We have recently replaced a large number of our beds, with all new beds also getting new doonas. We have also put numerous new lounge chairs, dining chairs and sofas into our 1 and 2 Bedroom apartments. Our continual improvement program also sees us trialling new carpet and lighting in a number of apartments. Our belief is that these "soft" refurbishment items will dramatically improve the overall feel of our apartments.

Hopefully next time you travel to Melbourne - for business or pleasure - you can stay and experience some of these new additions to our apartments.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Stayed here for a week. Lovely clean suite, brilliant service from friendly, helpful staff. Wifi in the rooms is charged and levels of use restricted even then, which is disgraceful in a business hotel. It's central, there's a great little cafe a couple of doors down, when something in the room didn't work it was dealt with fast. The only other problem - no heating in the bedrooms, only the living room, and it was a really cold snap. Their solution was that we leave the bedroom doors open, which was a little too intimate for business acquaintances. I ended up sleeping in my socks and hat as well as pyjamas.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear LuckyMermaid,

Thank you for providing your feedback and I am very glad to read that you think our apartments were clean and that our staff were friendly provided brilliant and helpful service!

With regards to the heating, as you correctly mentioned the apartments were designed with only a reverse cycle air-con unit in the lounge room. Under normal conditions this is sufficient to provide heating or cooling throughout the entire apartment . As you pointed out Melbourne suffered a particularly cold few days in late July and we experienced a few problems - please accept my apologies.