“Great location” 3 of 5 stars

Quest Southbank
Ranked #51 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Great rooms, nice and quiet. Awesome location in southbank, only thing that let it down was the man on the desk at check out, didn't offer to help me with my 2 bags or to rung a taxi. This was at 6.30am in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing City Rd for an amazing night view!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Jeremy L, General Manager at Quest Southbank, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Heine1,

Thank you for posting your review, as we always welcome guest's feedback.

It is nice to hear that you think our apartments are great and the location is "awesome"!

I do apologise though, that our staff were not more helpful and we shall endeavour to improve our customer service at all hours of the day and night!

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Melbourne on business - or leisure!

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Having stayed at Quaywest before this apartment was bigger and half the price! May not have marble bathrooms but was well maintained, decorated and comfortable. Staff were very helpful. Would stay there again next time I am in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Exceutive apartment has higher floor with less noise and better views
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LouRob11,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. And I am extremely glad to read that you found our apartments to be spacious and well maintained!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm regards,
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

we stayed on the Friday night (27th) as a night to get out of the house and enjoy some city time.
We were greeted with a smile by the girl working the evening shift and a no fuss check in. Very happy all round. Will be back!

Room Tip: as for a high floor with a view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Jeremy L, General Manager at Quest Southbank, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear KMelbs,

Thanks for the great review!

Glad to hear our property was to your liking and that you were happy with everything!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I've stayed here many times over 5 years as it's convenient for my work but increasingly I am disappointed. The first couple of times I was given upgrades but the more I have stayed I find the apartment gets worse - which is the converse of most hotels who reward frequent visitors. This visit was the last straw. I booked an executive 1 bedroom as I find it difficult sleeping without natural light and found it was just like the ordinary 1 bedroom apartments - with an internal bedroom. The only difference was a bench that separates the kitchen from living area. That's not what I need. I've now discovered there are only 3 x1 bedroom executives with natural light to the bedroom. A couple of other points - if you make special requests they are rarely considered. The staff just apologise and say they can't help, especially if you've booked online. Bathrooms are quite aged. Microwave wasn't connected to power - took some effort to remove to reconnect. I think they trade on their location but at a 'discounted' rate of $193 this night was not value for money given my bad sleep.

Room Tip: One bedroom apartments are on levels 1 - 7. You need to book a 2 bedroom to be higher and get a view...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank SydneySuz
Dear SydneySuz,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is disappointing to read that you feel that we have gotten worse over the past five years that you have been staying here. Especially when we have an active continual improvement program.

This program has recently involved replacing more than half of our beds and changing to new doonas as well. We have also refurbished the bathrooms in 20 apartments (mostly 2 Bedroom apartments) over the past 2 years.

And yes you are correct, most of our 1 Bedroom and Executive 1 Bedrooms have internal bedrooms. We generally find that most people prefer these as they dramatically reduce any outside noise levels that are a consequence of being located in the middle of Southbank. You are also correct that the most significant difference between a "standard" 1 Bedroom apartment and an Executive 1 Bedroom is the kitchen, which is larger and better appointed. They are also marginally larger in living space. As there are only a few key differences, this is why the price increase is also marginal - generally only $15~$20 per night.

However we will take your feedback seriously, and will add these areas into our continuous improvement program to be looked at in the future.

Ashfield, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed 3 nights over Easter as 2 couples. The location was good for the ladies as close to the city as the purpose of the trip was an exhibition at Bundoora so we were out most of the day.

The 2 bedroom apartment was spacious and having 2 bathrooms was good. The kitchen was a bit light on with utensils but everything was clean and worked well (except the dishwasher which just seemed to run and run for hours). Having a small balcony was nice as often the places with windows that don't open get stuffy but not the case here.

Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Jeremy L, General Manager at Quest Southbank, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Peter G,

Great to read your review of our 2 Bedroom apartment. Glad to hear you considered it was spacious and clean. I can happily say that all of our 2 Bedroom apartments have 2 bathrooms and a balcony. Also nice to read that you thought our location was good!

We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the future.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at the Quest Southbank at the end of May. We had a 4 night stay which included a Friday night (extremely expensive for same room, purely because it was a Friday which was disappointing). There were 2 apartments between 2 families, as we were there for the gymnastics championships our daughters were competing in. The location was perfect. Very close to the arenas (once we found our way around!) We arrived just after 1pm and were delighted to find our rooms were ready. My apartment was lovely. Very clean, fresh linen and a nice little kitchen. The staff on our arrival were simply lovely, helped us in finding places to get food from etc.
I was not impressed with the $300 insurance money, it was immediately taken from my account, that was money I could have used in Melbourne. It was returned to my account at the end of my stay but I've never had to pay this kind of insurance for a stay anywhere before. This would make me think twice about staying here again, even though it was a nice apartment (not every traveller trashes rooms!!)
I only encountered one staff member who was very abrasive and not at all helpful, but I persisted with my request and she did help in the end. Reading recent entries here, it appears others have had a similar experience with the same person.
Overall, I would recommend the Quest Southbank, however it is tinged with the disappointment of being $300 short throughout my stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear M N,

Great to read your review of our apartments as spacious, clean and in a convenient location. We think they are ideal for families travelling to Melbourne.

Most hotels will hold some sort of credit card bond on arrival. The amount we hold is clearly laid out in all of our confirmation emails, regardless of if the booking is made direct with the hotel or through one of the many hotel room websites. I agree that not every traveller trashes their room, but knowing which ones will is impossible to tell in advance. Therefore everyone is asked to provide a bond.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed for two nights, booked via QANTAS FF as i had in the past to house hunt in the Southbank area. Was pleased that this time, the room did not smell of mildew however i was disappointed that at 2.45pm, the room was still being "serviced" by a young man who just would not leave. He decided to strike up a conversation in the doorway of my bathroom and offered to buy me a drink if i was "around". The hint of "my partner is on his way" did not seem to be understood. The door was not locked when i arrived and i felt slightly unsafe, especially as i bumped into this man later on that evening. Tried to use the washing machine and dryer later on and my clothes came out stinking of dirty old socks. I had not left the washing in it to smell that way. This was overall disappointing. I have been there several times, hoping it will get better due to budget constraints. I feel that after 3 goes over 12mths, this service guy finshed it off for me. Did not bother to complain, i just got out as quickly as i could. I would rather pay more than risk mould, dirty carpets, clingy service staff and filthy washing machines.

Room Tip: Just don't. I suppose if you have to, ask for a upper level room, NOT on the Mezzanine level.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Daylan78,

Thank you for posting your feedback. In a way I actually would have preferred that you lodged a complaint at the time, because if one of our staff have made you feel uncomfortable, or dare I say unsafe, then I would prefer to be dealing with it immediately. I am extremely sorry that you have been made to feel this way and I will try to contact you offline so that I can get further details to address this situation.