WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Quest Southbank

Quest Southbank
Ranked #47 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Ashfield, New South Wales, Australia
“Not top of the tree but had everything we needed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed 3 nights over Easter as 2 couples. The location was good for the ladies as close to the city as the purpose of the trip was an exhibition at Bundoora so we were out most of the day.

The 2 bedroom apartment was spacious and having 2 bathrooms was good. The kitchen was a bit light on with utensils but everything was clean and worked well (except the dishwasher which just seemed to run and run for hours). Having a small balcony was nice as often the places with windows that don't open get stuffy but not the case here.

Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeremy L, General Manager at Quest Southbank, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Peter G,

Great to read your review of our 2 Bedroom apartment. Glad to hear you considered it was spacious and clean. I can happily say that all of our 2 Bedroom apartments have 2 bathrooms and a balcony. Also nice to read that you thought our location was good!

We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the future.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at the Quest Southbank at the end of May. We had a 4 night stay which included a Friday night (extremely expensive for same room, purely because it was a Friday which was disappointing). There were 2 apartments between 2 families, as we were there for the gymnastics championships our daughters were competing in. The location was perfect. Very close to the arenas (once we found our way around!) We arrived just after 1pm and were delighted to find our rooms were ready. My apartment was lovely. Very clean, fresh linen and a nice little kitchen. The staff on our arrival were simply lovely, helped us in finding places to get food from etc.
I was not impressed with the $300 insurance money, it was immediately taken from my account, that was money I could have used in Melbourne. It was returned to my account at the end of my stay but I've never had to pay this kind of insurance for a stay anywhere before. This would make me think twice about staying here again, even though it was a nice apartment (not every traveller trashes rooms!!)
I only encountered one staff member who was very abrasive and not at all helpful, but I persisted with my request and she did help in the end. Reading recent entries here, it appears others have had a similar experience with the same person.
Overall, I would recommend the Quest Southbank, however it is tinged with the disappointment of being $300 short throughout my stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear M N,

Great to read your review of our apartments as spacious, clean and in a convenient location. We think they are ideal for families travelling to Melbourne.

Most hotels will hold some sort of credit card bond on arrival. The amount we hold is clearly laid out in all of our confirmation emails, regardless of if the booking is made direct with the hotel or through one of the many hotel room websites. I agree that not every traveller trashes their room, but knowing which ones will is impossible to tell in advance. Therefore everyone is asked to provide a bond.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed for two nights, booked via QANTAS FF as i had in the past to house hunt in the Southbank area. Was pleased that this time, the room did not smell of mildew however i was disappointed that at 2.45pm, the room was still being "serviced" by a young man who just would not leave. He decided to strike up a conversation in the doorway of my bathroom and offered to buy me a drink if i was "around". The hint of "my partner is on his way" did not seem to be understood. The door was not locked when i arrived and i felt slightly unsafe, especially as i bumped into this man later on that evening. Tried to use the washing machine and dryer later on and my clothes came out stinking of dirty old socks. I had not left the washing in it to smell that way. This was overall disappointing. I have been there several times, hoping it will get better due to budget constraints. I feel that after 3 goes over 12mths, this service guy finshed it off for me. Did not bother to complain, i just got out as quickly as i could. I would rather pay more than risk mould, dirty carpets, clingy service staff and filthy washing machines.

Room Tip: Just don't. I suppose if you have to, ask for a upper level room, NOT on the Mezzanine level.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Daylan78,

Thank you for posting your feedback. In a way I actually would have preferred that you lodged a complaint at the time, because if one of our staff have made you feel uncomfortable, or dare I say unsafe, then I would prefer to be dealing with it immediately. I am extremely sorry that you have been made to feel this way and I will try to contact you offline so that I can get further details to address this situation.

Ballarat, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have stayed ar Quest Southbank a coupla times....Whilst its no Ritz Carlton, it does offer some amenities that some other hotels dont... Like windows that open and a balcony in some rooms.... And the rooms are a good size.... And the location is pretty good if you visiting the Crown area...Lots do do nearby.
But they need to do something about the rude desk staff..!! I encountered a girl named Kristy. (on saturday june 7) Her attitude toward a paying guest was simply woeful. She was very surly towards me from the second i walked in the door and barked (yes, barked) instructions at me during check-in. (sign here, give me your rego, put your postcode there... etc..etc...) It was without a doubt the worst service at a hotel i have EVER encountered (and ive bin to a few)
I very nearly walked back out the door so poor was her attitude..!!
I dont expect dancing girls and a greeting like a rock star....But jeez... this particular girl was a shocker.... I guess the hotel will message me back saying she was having a bad day or something simillar.... But that wont cut it...
I WILL NEVER BE BACK.!
p.s i wonder when hotels will realise they are wasting their time spending millions on advertising a venue with a view to attract customers thrU their doors.... when all they need to do is to be focussed on offering a reasonable level of service to the customers they already have!! - It beats me!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kingrox
Dear kingrox,

I am sincerely sorry that you have had such a horrible experience on arrival. I am definitely not going to palm it off by saying the employee in question had a bad day. This is irrelevant to the guest and therefore irrelevant to me. You are 100% correct in saying that all the advertising in the world does nothing if our customer service lets us down. Especially when this is something we do pride ourselves on.

We will obviously have to go back to square one and go through the core values of customer service with our staff to ensure that all guests are treated to a great customer experience.

Sincere regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed over night.
Had booked a one bedroom apartment and a two bedroom apartment.

Service on arrival was adequate (someone was having a bad day but was okay)

Apartments were clean, little dated in need of a coat of paint.

Had all basic items available, roomy.

The location is the main reason we would stay again its obviously why you pay the amount you do.

Parking on site was okay very tight parking, extra cost but worth it for convenience.

Get charged an extra $300 per apartment for insurance but was back in my account two business days later.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear BellaalleB,

We appreciate you taking the time to write your review. I am glad to read that you feel our location is great and that our apartments were clean and roomy! We do take pride in the size and cleanliness of our apartments.

I am sorry that your experience of our customer service was not to our normal standards. We shall endeavour to improve this.

Hopefully you will stay with us again when you stay in Melbourne.

Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Beds with dodgy covers and old blankets and toilet bins that aren't emptied. Complained to no avail. Single apartments have bedrooms with no direct outside window access - so no natural light. Don't stay unless you're under budget constraints.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mia L
Dear Mia L,

I am truly sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay! In regards to our beds, blankets and bedspreads you may be interested to hear that we have just finished replacing every bed in all of our Executive 1, 2 & 3 Bedroom apartments (which make up nearly half of all of our apartments), as well as updating them with donnas rather than blankets.

As for your comments regarding the lack of natural light into our internal bedrooms, many of our Corporate clients actually find this beneficial as it cuts down on the road noise from outside. This layout also means that our large living area and kitchen has plenty of natural light from the full floor to ceiling and wall to wall window.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

I stayed overnight with my partner. We were surprised to find our room unlocked on arrival - not particularly safe! The rooms although spacious were bare and dated. Everything look very tired and used. The toilet seat was covered with mould. Thankfully we only stayed for the one night - I wasn't going to dare using any of the cooking appliances considering what we'd seen in the bathroom.
We arrived at 11pm and when we called reception to ask if it's possible to check out a little later we were told 'we've had people arrive at 7am and they don't even get a later check out time so unless you would like to pay $30 per extra hour then no'.
Also still no sign on my bond being returned 2 business days after my stay. Should be no reason why it can't be returned first thing Monday morning.
All in all, wouldn't stay again or recommend unless you are looking for something cheap in the southbank area.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank ao05
Dear ao05,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is always disappointing to hear when a guest has experienced a less than enjoyable stay. I am genuinely sorry that you have had a few things wrong with the apartment and stay in general. We are in the process of doing substantial soft refurbishments at the moment, including a large percentage of the older toilet seats (it is not actually mould, but the top surface has decayed with time hence the replacements).

Hopefully if you are in Southbank in the future you may feel inclined to drop in and view the changes we are making to improve the guest experience.

Warm regards,