“Excellent location, very good suite for the price”

Quay West Suites Melbourne
Ranked #13 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed February 13, 2009

We've stayed here a number of times when we've felt like a romantic weekend away from home. We like the location - it's on Southbank so you get the convenience of good restaurants at your door, and lovely views of the city at night. It's also right above the Sunday market if you happen to stay on that day.

We choose the 1 bedroom suite, which is spacious, clean and modern. Bed good, linen crisp and room always smells nice. Kitchen is generous, and things work (not always our experience elsewhere.)

A higher floor and a city view cost more, but they are worth it if you want to maximise the experience of the waterfront.

Not much real noise to complain about, and the breakfast downstairs is on the good side of what you expect for a $20 buffet. General service is fine, not exceptional but no complaints from either of us. If you find something wrong, the staff are always apologetic and keen to fix it.

The only downside is, like all hotels/condos these days, you get charged an arm and a leg for parking underground.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Quay West Suites Melbourne

Reviewed May 12, 2008

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment and were extremely dissapointed. Our biggest complaint is that the furniture/carpet/doors etc are looking really daggy. Our room had a really musty smell and there were lots of stains on the furniture. Certainly not 5 star or luxurious. There are much better places to stay in Melbourne.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank ILuv2Travel
Reviewed May 6, 2008

OK, good points.
1) The location. It's dead set centre. Really, it's that good. The only downside to it is if you're driving in. So if anyone from the hotel it reading, better signage required.
2) The people. Very professional, very friendly.
3) The amenities. Room is a good size, good views, kitchenette, washing machine, wide screen TV and DVD players (plus the usual). There's a gym and a pool. Breakfast at the Jarrah is nice. Not spectecular but the menu is well thought out. Good for meat eaters and vegies alike.
4) Good vibe all round

Bad points.
1) The entrance if you're driving in. Here's a tip: make it on to City road heading east. Drive past Eureka tower, and just before the bridge you're see a small road on your left. Turn in.
2) BYO toiletries. It's an Australian hotel. Sorry.

Basically, what we've got is a top class hotel. I actually want to give this a 4.5 but can't. Also for the price you're getting, I was expecting them to supply the basics as well, which was about AUD300 and that was a special price.

That said, bear in mind the hotel's greatest asset: location. It's walking distance to everything. Full stop. It's secluded if you're after a romantic getaway in the city or if you've got kids, well remember there's a kitchenette.

You'll like the stay.

Ka.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank KaKwok
Reviewed May 5, 2008

I've stay for the first time in melbourne at (Quay west suites melbourne) I was located at 11th floor with spectacular incredible view of the river/city views.

Ive a self traveler so i got 1 large bedroom/balcony/full kichen with utillities/dine area/lounge room/full bathroom-shower toilet large mirror wall.

It was 110% confortable been in this apartment hotel. I was real happy but it does cost fair alot of money $$$

There was a plasma screen in the lounge room follow by another tv in the bedroom.

The bedroom was very spacious and big enough to put cloths in the large wardrope-mirror slide doors.. From the bedroom there was a slide door to step in and out of the balcony.

The balcony was fair enouf big for 2 or 3 people with 2 seats and a round table.

The views where so spectacular that i really didn't want my holiday to ever end.

The bathroom-toilet area it had plenty of clean towls to be used and enouf toiletry paper. There was a scale and the shower area had an open door to get in follow by a massive large bath area on the otherside.

The kichen had utillities but i was not impressed with the forks and knifes and plates been alittle dirty or half clean. That got me quite worried as im high-gineric.

There was a washing machine and also does dry cleaner and it was inside there in the kichen. The fridge was a medium sizes... Big enouf for a weekend stay or a week stay.

There was a dish washer but i didnt used it much as i wasn't sure what i was doing and was alittle disapointed due to the fact there was not enouf dedorgen liquid and powder to clean the dishes so i went shopping and brought the best BAM cleaner to clean the plates manualy. So the Dish washer was there but didn't used it.

Other then that the kichen and the rest was in 110% working order no complaints at all apart from the dirty and not enough utillities in the kichen but there was enouf there to frie meat and bowl milk and the water cattle and a toaster. Plus there was a microwave there handy so that was good.

There was an inter-con phone beside the kichen and there was a telephone beside the lounge room and also in the bedroom side bed. There was another inter-com phone in the bathroom area.

The air-con and heater was in 110% working order it made the bedroom warm and the loungeroom too during my stay here for MAY since its starting to be quite cold. (Autumn)

Ive was hopeing to be on the highest floor posible but they ut me on the 11th floor. For what ive paid for was a (executive) type room apartment from the 10th to the 15th floor. They couldn't fit me any higher floor because it was all taken* But after while i could not complaint the views at all the 11th floor was good enouf.

Be warn dont go for the 10th floor otherwise you might just see the roofs of the southgate malls.**

There was a dvd-video recorder machine handy, The plasma screen had channels as follow:

SKYNEWS AUSTRALIA / DISCOVERY CHANNEL / ABC1 - CH7 - CH9 - CHANNEL TEN AUSTRALIA/ SPORT CHANNEL 1/CHANNEL 31 COMMUNITY MELBOURNE CHANNEL.

There was more options for the following channels but that was to be paid for so i only got to see the free stuff ive meantion.

The couches and the furniture was an OK but could have been alittle better but other then that not much to really complaint about the furniture at all. There was plenty cabinet around to put things though.

There was the latest tv guide magazine to follow up. And get a new one for free if you let the cleaners do your room.

I allways left the (privacy please) sign on the door but when i left for a few hours and took that sign off the bed and the towls around and kichen was clean by the cleaners by the time i got back to my room apartment.

This apartment was big enouf but big enuf for 2 people its still large but not as in super large its confortable sizes and the images are shown to give you a look aspect to what to expect from this apartment hotel.

The staff downstairs where 110% real friendly i was very welcome each moment i came downstairs and upstairs allways a smile and allways new my surname to tell me have a goodnight or have a plesant day.. They where very friendly and i could never complaint about that.

Stepiing out the room you come out to the hallways outside. It was big enouf and there was 2 lifts available and also emergency exit plans.

I slept 110% peacefull and i could not complaint a thing there was no noise at all unless you had the balcony open from the lounge room or the bedroom side. Otherthen that it was peacefull and the views where incredible and it made me abit well... a moment when i just had to say good bye melbourne so long... until another time in the future i should be back for more good times in melbourne.. That moment made me abit almost with a cry in my eye because i was alone to this trip with everything i had expected was incredible and i should defently return back again for more. But be warn this apartment does cost alot. i paid around 340.00AUD dollars per night. Ive stay just for the weekend.

I would defently recommend this place. Best to contact the hotel reception for more details and price.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank citronfm
Reviewed April 30, 2008

It was fantastic i could never forget the day i came with all this time i plan my trip for a very long time. I was stress anough to wonder what to had expected. I came and the staff where very friendly very welcome and i was very happy to had meet the people there very helpful. I gave a tip to the conciech

The hotel room was good large enough but the utencils where very old which i give 2 stars negative.. big views ic an never forgoten. It was cold and i kept myself quite alot inside the hotel.

The aircon smell horrible when i turn it on but in 5 minutes it didnt smell then i gues they hanvnt used the aircon for quite sometime for the heater.

It was good the place if perfect but exopensive so expect to pay quite alot of money if you have it.

I recommended this hotel i slept very peacefully and thank you to sandy for the big help in providing me all the questions ive ask for and yiou did help me feel good to come and stay in this hotel quay west suites.

thank you. I own you credit.

I recommend this hotels now ask for special deals.

i hope you enjhoy my ophotos of the hotel stay and good luck with you staying to this recommended hotel. There was oretty much nothing to complaint about apart from just the price was shocking but you get to enjoy everything. They should include a spa in the bathroom because it disnt had spa and i pay quite alot apart from going downstairs to the spa auna place instead. But the rest was peaceful but very windy i hear the windows but no problems.

• Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank jonau1
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Hmmm - I was not too sure about this property before we went and I'm still not sure now that we've been!!!

The concept is good - the flexibity of self catering with all the facilities of a hotel.

The location is excellent - right on the South Bank of the Yarra river and near a huge amount of eateries and bars. Its a 5 minute walk over the river to the centre of Melbourne.

The staff were very friendly and organised a sightseeing trip that we wanted to do whilst in town.

The downside was the apartment itself. It felt quite dated. It had everything you would need and the decor was ok but the appliances were quite old. The shower in the bathroom would not stay upright so to have a shower you had to physically hold the shower head above you - which makes washing a little tricky! I complained to the staff at the front desk and the receptionist came up straight away to see if there was anything she could do. There wasnt - so she promised that a maintenance man would be sent up the next day to fix it. He never appeared!

We had breakfast in the hotel on our first full day there and that was nice but overpriced. Not sure if the prices were hiked up as it was Grand Prix weekend. Thankfully they didnt charge us for our three year old! We ate at local restaurants and cafes after that, which were much better value.

Having said all that, I would probably stay here again due to the excellent location.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Junglejuice30
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I took ages selecting an apartment hotel to stay at in Melbourne (my home town) guided by Trip Advisor reviews and we were not disappointed by Quay West.

We rang on our way in from the airport to check the location and, as a result, were greeted by the reception staff at the door by name and told our room was ready and waiting for us. Our luggage was sent straight up to our room and our car garaged. It set the tone for a lovely weekend. The staff were very helpful with restaurant bookings and directions.

The room was great - a one bedroom on the 11th Floor - we had paid extra to be up higher and it was worth it for the view - although 12th floor and up is probably better if you want an unobstructed view. The hotel was quiet, the room immaculate and well appointed. The kitchen was fully equipped although we ended up only having breakfast there and making coffee (good size plunger included).

The sofa bed in the loungeroom and the main (seemed like a king size?) bed in the bedroom were firm and comfortable and the pillows are the best I have had in a hotel for ages. Plenty of nice fluffy white towels and a nicely appointed, clean bathroom.

We didn't try the breakfast buffet or the pool or gym so can't comment on these. The only quibble I have was the price of the room service dinner my kids had that night but I guess I was trading price for convenience although my son had to order extra bread because the serves were very modest. My daughter did better with the kids menu.

By the way, as a Melbournian I can honestly say this is a great location to see the city from. There is a very good arts and crafts market at Southgate (just out the front door) on Sunday mornings from 10.00 a.m. and plenty of kid friendly, reasonably priced restaurants there as well. You can also take boat trips from there up the Yarra to Williamstown (we did it a few years back and the kids really enjoyed it). We went to the theatre on Saturday night in the city and walked back to the hotel stopping for a coffee at Brunetti's in Swanston Street on the way.

Federation Square is 3 minutes in one direction and the Art Gallery of Victoria, Concert Hall and the Botannical Gardens 3 minutes in the other direction. You can walk for fashion shopping to Little Collins Street or hop on a tram and do the same in Toorak Road (South Yarra and Toorak), Chapel Street (South Yarra down to Prahran), Lygon Street in Carlton and Brunswick Street in Brunswick.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family