“Much better than some of the reviews suggest”

Mantra Southbank Melbourne
Ranked #55 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here to use up some Mantra hotel credits we had. We were a bit apprehensive given some of the reviews. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, especially Sarah and Ellie. I had a special dietary requirement which the hotel restaurant was extremely accommodating with.

We also made special requests as to what sort of room we wanted, all of which were met without any questions asked - make sure you ask for a quiet room, as City Road is very busy.

I do agree the housekeeping could have been better, especially as they take things away and don't replace them.

However, we had a great time, the location is good - very easy walking to the cbd, Southgate or the tennis. The apartment was spacious and had good neutral tones, and the bed and shower were excellent.

So, all in all we would be very happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from City Road - City Road is one of the busiest roads in Melbourne
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 736Adelaide
AaronBond31, General Manager at Mantra Southbank Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback following your recent stay at the hotel.

The team and I are glad that you had an enjoyable stay. I have passed your kind words onto both Ellie and Sarah in the Front Office team and given them due recognition for the service that you were provided. Pleasing to read that the kitchen staff were accomodating to your dietary requirements.

We continue to work hard at improvement to our housekpeeing services and am sure that on your next visit to the hotel you will notice a higher level of detail in this area.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Southbank at some stage in the near future.

Aaron Bond

Write a ReviewReviews (1,958)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

What a great time we had staying at the Mantra Apartments in Southbank. We were a group of friends in 2 apartments. Staff were extra helpful, with extra towels and bedding, the pool was a good surprise and breakfast was delicious. Very convenient to walk to the Tennis and into town and enjoy the sights of Southbank.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Victoria_Fish

Thank you for providing feedback following your recent stay with us at Mantra Southbank.

The team and I appreciate your comments and glad to hear that your stay with us lived up to expectations.

As you have mentioned the location of the hotel is truly ideal if visiting Melbourne for the Tennis or any other Sporting or Entertainment event.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future when you next need accommodation in Melbourne.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The experience began with the booking service. We made a paid a deposit of $200 for a 4 night stay four months before our arrival. About six weeks before we were due to arrive the emails and phone calls started asking us to pay the balance. I was a bit suspicious as I have never been asked to pay accommodation in full especially if I have already paid a deposit. Rang mantra and was told by a huffy operator that the salesperson would have told me when I made the original booking -DIDN'T- and anyway it was in the fine print of the terms and conditions. As it turned out it did say something about special periods and it was apparently tennis season or something (I had no idea I do not follow it). Then he looked at the dates said oh, I didn't have to pay until a certain time before which I duly put in my diary. Weeks intervened and then another automatically generated email arrives demanding full payment or I will lose my booking. So I ring up again and the payment is overdue apparently cos the dates did fall into a certain period not as the previous huffy mantra person had said...

On arrival....Room adequate, in need of a spring clean - lots of dust behind curtains. Bath/shower mouldy and in need of re-grouting as no amount of cleaning can get the mould out at that point. Beds were not put together as requested in booking but it was easy fixed. The front counter staff were nice enough.

Had a neighbour with a noisy thumping stereo which fortunately only lasted one day. Worst issue was the poor cleaning services - not emptying the bin, not vacuuming up food under the table and not replenishing the coffee and sugar. We don't live like this in our own home and we certainly don't like it when we are taking rare time out on holiday. If the cleaning staff are pressed because the hotel is full they should put more staff on and give them more time to clean each room.

I was concerned at the very low waist level railing at the roof top swimming pool which even an adult could easily slip and fall over. 18 floors up? Surely can't be legal? We had small children and I held on to the smallest the moment we were out of the pool especially as there are chairs right next to the railing to climb on.

The location is within walking distance of the city centre but we will not book this property again or recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road if noise bothers you
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank fragola66
AaronBond31, General Manager at Mantra Southbank Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thnk you for providing feedback following your recent stay at the hotel and I would like to apologise about the inconveniences that you have experienced during making your booking and also during your stay.

During Special Event Periods in Melbourne most often deposits are required to be paid for pre booked accommodation which was the reason for the request although I am disappointed to know that you felt our approach was gruff as this would certainly not have been the intention of our team.

We have undergone a full review of our housekeeping team in the past few months and are pleased to advise that additional resources have now been allocated to ensure that our team have enough time to clean the apartments to a higher level than you obviously experienced during your stay.

I can advise that the railing and balcony wall on the 18th floor swimming pool terrace is certainly to legal height as are all the balconies on every room within the hotel accommodation.

Again apologies that we were unable to meet with your expectations, however hope that you may be inclined to give Mantra Southbank another visit when you are next in Melbourne and experience the improved housekeeping standards that have been implemented.

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights during Australian Open this year... Location is the best thing about this Mantra, it's located just behind the Arts Centre, and a short walk (5mins) to Flinders St Station & Federation Square. Took us 20mins to walk to Rod Laver Arena.

Service was always friendly and efficient and we were able to check in early. The room was clean & spacious, however it could've done with a refresh... There was a 50c size hole in one wall that needed patching up, and the toilet seat was unsteady and needed replacing...The gym was also in need of refreshing, with some equipment falling apart.

Not bad, not the best though... And I wouldn't say it was particularly cheap so these few criticisms are disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the hotel during the Australian Open.

The team and I appreciate your comments and are delighted to advise that we are in the process of undergoing a full painting project at the hotel along with upgrade to many items of furniture in the rooms. Our ongoing carpet replacement will continue throughout 2013 and 2014 and will certainly have a postive impact on the overall presentation of the hotel.

We have also undertaken a review of the gym equipment and are pleased to advise that we are currently looking to make some significant change to this area of the hotel.

We hope to see you back at the hotel at some stage in the near future to make use again of the great location and get to experience for yourself the improvements that are underway.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Positives: Mantra Southbank is the official accommodation provider for families with students at the Australian Ballet School. It is very convenient, just across the road from the school. We received a nice welcome back with a magazine for mum, fruit, snacks and colouring stuff. We also got a discount voucher to use for the breakfast buffet. Reception and restaurant staff were courteous and professional. The restaurant was quite good, and the kids meals were fine. (don't expect a good wine list though). The pool was good for the kids.

Negatives: Our 1 bedroom apartment was very disappointing. As another reviewer mentioned, we also had crumbs on the kitchen bench from the past occupants, there were lots of marks on the walls, and the tiles in the bathroom needed a really good clean. The top of the TV was extremely dusty.

After our first night, I happened to be in the room when housekeeping came. She just asked if there was anything I needed, so I mentioned we needed a couple of towels - she brought them in and just left, did not do the room at all! The next day, they didn't replace the shampoo or conditioner, and took the bath mat and face washers and didn't replace them with new ones. Our sheets were not changed in the 5 nights we were there and on the days they were made, the beds looked roughly done. The mini bar item we purchased, was not replaced, and some days the complimentary tea and coffee wasn't replaced either.

There were only 4 of everything - 4 glasses, plates, spoons etc which wasn't really enough.

The in-room movie service didn't work, and I found the dishwasher, washing machine and dryer were all quite difficult to use, and had to refer to the instructions for everything. There was no compendium in the room.

We had no view to speak of, and the room was quite dark, and small. The bathroom was just plain white tiles, no luxury to be found here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tassiemum94

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel while in Melbourne to attend the Australian Ballet School.

The team and I appreciate your comments and are dissappointed to read that we were not able to live up to your expectations with regards to the room and the housekeeping.

I am happy to advise that we are currently in the process of painting every room at the hotel and in conjunction with this are also replacing many items of furniture and replenishing rooms with new pots/pans/crockery to ensure that they are equipped to guests satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when you are next in Melbourne to visit the Australian ballet School and am sure that you will notice the ongoing changes and improvements to the hotel.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Upon arrival at the Mantra Southbank Hotel we were told that the guest carpark was full and needed to find alternative parking! Thanks a lot.....Our room was the two bedroom apartment, It was filthy, smelly, furniture was shabby, carpet was stained. patio door broken... Kitchenette drawers and cupboards had crumbs from previous guests... Old dirty appliances, no hand soap in bathroom!

Room Tip: Our only trip would be to choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Lina D
AaronBond31, General Manager at Mantra Southbank Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for your feedabck following your recent stay with us at Mantra Southbank.

I have sent you a personal message with my contact detailas and would be delighted if you contacted me so that we could discuss.

I apologies that your expereince with us was not as expected and can assure you that we take your comments and feedback seriously and currently have projects in place to address most of the concerns.

We are currently undergoing an extensive painting program and replacement of many items of furntiture in our suites.

I look forward to hearing from you at some stage and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel to enjoy a very different experience,

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed at The Mantra while attending an exhibition. Room was overlooking busy road. Air-conditioning was noisy. No late room service. Decor was old and shabby. Extended my stay in Melbourne at a different hotel. Couldn't wait to get out of here to get a good night's sleep!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Jandawal
AaronBond31, General Manager at Mantra Southbank Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback following your recent stay. Your comments are important to us and I have shared them with the team so that we can ensure we address all concerns raised.

We are in the process of painting the entire building and also undertaking a program to replace much of the in room furniture.

I have sent a private message with my contact details and would welcome your email or phone call at any time.