“Awful service on my wedding day!!”

The Westin Melbourne
Ranked #17 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed August 21, 2007

I booked the Regent Suite at the Westin for my wedding night and I let the hotel know that my bridal party and I will be there at 2 pm to get dressed into wedding attire. We were running a little late and turned up at 2:30pm. We went to reception to check-in but they told us the room wasn't ready and that it will become available at 3:30pm. The ceremony was at 4pm!!! The staff was not very apologetic but hastily organised for the room to be cleaned. We eventually got into the room which had been half-cleaned. The room was definitely not worth the $1200 price-tag, and we never got a formal apology from the Westin for their oversight. This is the most expensive mediocre hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank girltalk

Reviewed August 20, 2007

Exceptionally curteous and friendly staff. We had a deluxe room on level 7 which had nice views. The room was quite big and the bathroom huge. The indoor pool, sauna and steam room are worth the visit.
Breakfast was served at Allegro restaurant which was very relaxing and with a good selection of food, but not as extensive as other Westins I have stayed in.

Surprisingly I had to request slippers - apparently they don't provide these in each room.

Check-in was a bit of a surprise - even though we paid for a package on a Sunday evening, the hotel would not upgrade us despite occupancy being quite low without us paying a fee.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank supragirl
Reviewed August 18, 2007

Wow. What a night we had at Westin on NYE in 2004! I only just discovered this website while booking another night in the city, and just had to leave a review for anyone thinking of where they could stay for NYE this year.

When we stayed at Westin in 2004 the room was around $300 but is more expensive now - but definitely worth every cent.

We stayed in a room at the front of the hotel, overlooking the city square, from memory about 8 floors up. Our room had french windows opening up onto the tiniest balcony, but it made for a fantastic evening because immediately down below a band played classics from about 7pm to 12.30am to a crowd of dancing people!

We wandered out to the city to get some dinner then came back to the room about 9.30pm, and sat ourselves at the balcony with a couple of bottles of wine, to watch the throngs of people head down the road towards flinders street station for the fireworks.

We hadnt thought we would be able to see the fireworks from our room because we thought they would be set off a pontoon down towards Spencer st, so we were content just to watch the crowd of 200,000 fill the streets... but imagine our delight when the fireworks went off behind Flinders St, in direct and amazingly close view!! We have photos that rival professional shots!

And the staff - well they were so amazing too - nothing was ever a problem. We even called for another bottle of Moet at 12.10am (Jan 1st!), and there it was being delivered less than 5 minutes later, by a room service attendant that didnt seem to mind he was missing NYE, just happy to serve us. Wow.

And to add to all this - the room was absolutely lovely. Luxurious decor, rainfall shower (not sure what they are called - but gorgeous!) huge bath with fabulous fixtures, bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

This is a gushing review, but we really can't say enough about the Westin in Melbourne. We'll be booking there again - no doubt about that.

• Stayed: December 2004, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marbelMelbourne
Reviewed July 16, 2007

Spent a two-night stay at the Westin, Melbourne over a weekend. I booked the stay using the Westin's website, which proved marginally cheaper than alternatives. I booked a standard room with a city view.

Check-in was quick and painless, and the room had a view from the 6th floor across the plaza on Swanston St to other central Melbourne buildings, including the lovely Art Deco Manchester Unity Building. The room was well appointed, with lots of storage space, a reading chair and desk. The bathroom was surprisingly large and spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable.

TV was a medium-sized CRT type. There were only about 12 or so channels to choose from, none of which were foreign-language channels (fairly typical in Australia). Wifi was not provided, and broadband internet was excessively priced at $9.95 per hour, $24.95 per 24 hours or $99 per week. I think this is ridiculously expensive by international standards, though all too common in local hotels. (I've quoted my prices in Australian dollars: to American readers, you do the math...)

The gym is small but above average for this type of hotel: about 6 cardio machines, dumbells up to 30 kg, and several machines. Reasonable enough for a light workout, not sufficient for someone who likes to train at commercial gyms. There is a steam room, sauna and pool/spa, all of which were extremely nice. The fitness facilities stay open till 9 pm, which is convenient.

The hotel has two bars, one of which has a pleasant fireplace and plenty of newspapers and books to browse. The Allegro restaurant is also very pleasant, and located on the first floor, a pleasant change from restaurants located on the ground or lower floors. I thought the food for the buffet breakfast ($35) was of the standard expected for a five star hotel. On the Sunday morning I was there, it was full by 9:30, though it appeared that newcomers had to wait only a couple of minutes to be seated.

I found the staff consistently friendly and attentive. For example, whilst waiting to be collected by friends from the entrance, I was asked a couple of times if I required a taxi or directions.

The hotel location is excellent. The main central business district attractions are only a few minutes' walk, and the southbank complex with the casino is about 10 to 15 minutes' walk. The two main galleries, the National Gallery of Victoria Australia and International, are also close by. Shops, bars and restaurants are also a short walk away.

Despite my gripes about the high cost of internet, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and look forward to my next weekend stay there.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank HardieBoys
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Last Saturday night i was having a boys weekend with some friends and a couple of us decided to stay overnight in the city. From check in to checkout i was treated like a celebrity (And this was just the standard room!) and out of all the 5 star hotels i've stayed at worldwide this was the best thus far.....

Room was on the 5th floor and faced a wall out the back, It was so quiet with no traffic noise whatsoever, i did hear people out in the hallway at times however.

The room was immaculately clean and huge! Nice big bed, Chair and Tables, and a MASSIVE bathroom! It contained a seperate bath, shower, and the vanity had beautiful tolietries with everything from your standard shampoo's to laundry powder!

Big Screen Tv but as someone said channelwise there's only about 10 - 12 channels.

The Pool was very luxurious but i did find the spa a little small. (At least for a hotel of that size)

Staff were genuinely warm and hospitable and i was dissapointed i could only stay one night!

Located in a great location near Flinders Street Station, Federation Square, Southbank etc.

Some eateries i'd recommend are: Idea Restaurant (Chinese/Malaysian) in Chinatown, Hofbrauhaus (German Food) on Market Lane and Stalactites Greek Restaurant on Russell Street is also very good!

As a local i'm pleased to know this hotel is creating such a good impression for Melbourne!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Harvsman
Reviewed May 28, 2007

Perfect central location, gorgeous large rooms with modern, comfortable decor and have never come across friendlier staff anywhere! Cannot recommend highly enough!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lissalouevha
Reviewed May 27, 2007

I spent a fantastic 3 nights in the Westin (in a deluxe queen room) - and was very sad to leave and continue my travels!

The room was large and airy, immaculately clean and had the most divine bed linen that I have ever encountered in a hotel - it really lived up to the claims of "heavenly bed".

The bathroom was spacious, marble, with separate bath and shower - and again; was very clean; with housekeeping sneaking in undetected at every opportunity to make the place just perfect for your return!

The staff were very polite and friendly; and although some nasty person had ran up a bar tab on my room; the staff sorted it out quickly with minimal hassle to me during check-out!

I would definitely stay here again - it's the perfect spot for discovering Melbourne! You'll love it!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank WA6000