“Excellent hotel”

The Westin Melbourne
Ranked #15 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 16, 2006

This is a very good hotel. The price was OK (when compared to rates in the US or in some European cities). My room was bright, modern and very comfortable. The bathroom was huge. I liked having fresh apples in the room everyday. The pool and sauna were really great. Swimming in this pool was really relaxing (it was not crowded, and the lights are really relaxing). All in all, a strongly recommended hotel.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank BelgianTraveler73
Write a ReviewReviews (2,030)

Reviewed September 5, 2006

Stayed 4 nights in two connecting Starwood Preferred Guest rooms on the 7th floor (using points), and we couldn't have been happier. The staff was fabulous, attentive, and very friendly. The rooms were huge (at least 500 sq. ft each), and rather than a cheap connecting door, the rooms were connected by a private entry foyer with fresh flowers and candies. The rooms were immaculate, and meticulously maintained, with very high-end furnishings, in a more contemporary/asian style. The bathrooms were huge, with a large walk-in rain shower as well as a large tub and plenty of vanity space. Location is fabulous, and the concierege staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. Wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else if I return to Melbourne.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Vnyrdr
Reviewed July 26, 2006

My husband and I were in Melbourne for only 2 nights. The Westin Melbourne could not have been more perfect for our short stay. The staff was great. We had a room on the 7th floor with an amazing view. The room was spacious and the bathroom even better. I was a bit disappointed there was not a heavenly bed though. The hotel is in a great location. We could easily walk the city. The concierge gave us a great recommendation for dinner nothing touristy. We really loved this property and would stay there again if we ever return to Melbourne.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jrld
Reviewed June 9, 2006

We visited Melbourne to attend a wedding of an old neighbour's daughter. Our expectation for the hotel was not very high, after having read the reviews posted in Tripadvisor. Nonetheless, we decided to give a try since we have always trust the Starwood's brandname for hotels.

It was a very good stay. We had to wait circa 4 hours (check-in) before we are able to get into our room, but the cosy and comfortable room ambience ease our anger and dissappointment. The bathroom was huge with separate shower and bath, plus a wonderful rain shower. Bed were not exactly heavenly bed, but it was not too bad. There is no view for our room, but it does not really bother us. The room was really spacious, and that is probably the main plus factor.

If you are willing to pay for comfort, I think Westin is seriously recommendable. The location of the hotel is splendid, since it is on Collins Street, and you can go shopping, dining, movies, theatres, Chinatown, Flinders Street Station, Hard Rock Cafe or anywhere within minutes of walking.

High possibility that I will stay in Westin Melbourne again if I am back in Melbourne city.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank EanNee L
Reviewed June 7, 2006

Don't go here if you want a real Heavenly Bed.
Spent a night at Westin Chicago Airport recently, absolutely loved the Heavenly Bed. Did research about the bed and wanted to buy one. Spoke to the wife continously about the bed I stayed in whilst in Chicago. Decided to book the local Westin in Melbourne so the wife could try this piece of Heaven. Organised 2 nights stay, arranged some really nice restrauants. Got my sister to look after the kids. Booked in, went to room, sat on the bed.
What-the???
The bed was not right. Checked under the sheets, it was a Sealy, and an old one at that. Not pillow top, springs on the side of the mattress. Totally sub standard.
Aren't the Heavenly Beds supposed to be 13" pillow top mattress with 8 3/4" box spring , five pillows; two feather and down pillows, two hypo-allergenic pillows and one boudoir pillow and cover , duvet cover with an overstuffed polyester insert, down blanket, bed skirt, top sheet, middle sheet, bottom sheet and pillow cases. (as per their own website) made by Simmons.
Talk about huge dissappointment. went down to reception, they advised me that they use Sealy in Australia. tried to talk about the 13", the pillowtop. all to deaf ears.
At least the restrauants we went to were great.
I felt conned by the suedo "Heavenly Bed". Bathroom was good. Breakfast was good.
4 star hotel with 1 star bed.

• Stayed: June 2006
18  Thank wine243
Reviewed May 12, 2006

The Westin – Melbourne.

Ideally situated in Collins Street in the upper “Paris end” this hotel is ultimately posited for serious shoppers or threatre goers. It has all the pros of a five star hotel, lovely foyer, trendy building ,restaurants and cocktail bars. I have stayed in Melbourne numerous times due to business, and have tried most but not all…so what I have experienced is and know what becomes important, to other travelers is this.

1)Excellent position, you are in the heart of Melbourne.

2)This hotel has a very European feel or maybe it’s just the city.

3)The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, they even remember your name as you enter at different times of the day and night.

4)Our room 439, is not what we booked, it’s a deluxe room which overlooks the street with the falling Autumn trees with a small Juliet balcony.

5)I would only book a deluxe room or studio apartment, as our room is the size as an average hotel but extremely comfortable.(supposed to be an upgrade) It has everything you should expect in a five star hotel...without mentioning them. Nice little bars/ cafes and restaurants...in a classy and very trendy atmosphere.

6)Bathrooms are very elegant, stylish and roomy with all the modern cons.

7)The pool is indoor a lap pool with a gym, sauna and steam room. In summer this could be extremely annoying if you want to capture some sunshine. (the Langham Hotel is a better bet in summer, as they have a wonderful outdoor area.)

8)Without the staff, this hotel would feel cold, pretentious yet refined, trendy and cultured.

9)It can be noisy, if you have a balcony and choose to open them but then again I liked the sound of the trams. ..and city noises. somehow it reminded me of Paris (maybe it was the avenue or the trees).

10)I really liked this hotel regardless of other posts. My suggestions are to make sure you have a deluxe room or better still 8th floor up. Do not go below the 4th floor otherwise you will have wall views. It has prime position if you can afford it, just a few minutes walk to the shops, Federation Square, Flinders Station…it is really awesome for the position…but since I have stayed at numerous hotels in Melbourne I do actually really miss Southbank…..it’s on the river with restaurants on your doorsteps.

11)Do I recommend this hotel….yes…for the position….and as the saying goes position is everything.

12)Would I prefer another. well I like being in Southbank..the Langham is the same as the Westin but different in style…both are five stars..and deserve to be.

13)Overall vote : difficult….probably say The Langham…until I try another.

14)Note: The Langham Hotel used to be called The Sheraton. The Westin and Sheraton are part of the Starwood group….but unfortunately, the Langham is no longer apart of Starwood….bummer!

15)P.S. Don’t try the Margarita cocktail in the Martini Bar…terrible. I have given this hotel excellent rating for two major reasons...position and the lovely staff.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank Ellemay
Reviewed April 22, 2006

As a "local" I was extremely disappointed with the service, room size and the attitude of some staff members. Although our room looked out onto some sort of inaccessible courtyard, with the curtains opened you could see directly into the room set at a right angle to ours. They had their curtains opened so we had to keep ours closed for privacy. The room lighting was extremely confusing. Our luggage was 2 hours getting to our room and several searching phone calls were met with abrupt responses. The man who finally delivered it said nothing, not even a response to our thanks. Chocolates and some champagne were later sent by way of apology but by that time we had formed our opinion on this pricey hotel which did just not cut it overall at AUD$400.00 minimum a night. Good aspects included of course, location and martinis in the bar were hard to fault. Give me the Como in South Yarra anyday for service, room size and although pricey is less than the Westin, is a ten minute cab ride into the CBD and has all the amenities of Chapel Street and Toorak Road.

• Stayed: April 2006