“Excellent Hotel”

The Westin Melbourne
Ranked #16 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 16, 2009

The service at this hotel was very good. Very pleasant and friendly. I received an upgrade from Westin room to s city view room. The room was quite large and 'Heavenly Bed' was very comfortable. Loved the size of the bathroom and especially the rain shower. Great location on Collins Street and short walk to Bourke Street mall and convenient walk to everything else. Would absolutely stay at this property again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank rc33
WestinMel, General Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2009

Dear rc33,
Greetings from The Westin Melbourne.
Thank you for posting comments in regards to your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear your stay was a pleasant one and I hope you left us feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. We receive many comments in regards to our Heavenly Beds, so much so that many of our guests purchase these for home! I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Be well.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,081)

Reviewed October 5, 2009

I stayed at the Westin for one night recently with my partner, it is an amazing hotel. Loved the pool, spa and sauna and the staff were so polite and helpful. We had buffet breakfast the next morning which had so much to choose from and was very yummy. Bathrooms are huge with a big shower and double sinks, I would definetly recommend this hotel if you want to stay somewhere luxurious, I didnt want to leave! It is also located in a very central location which is close to everything, I will definetly be coming back for my next trip to Melbourne and also would be interested in seeing what the other Westin's are like :)

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BEC1234
WestinMel, General Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2009

Dear BEC1234,
It is comments such as yours that continue to inspire our team to provide the renewing service you experienced during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts and I hope you do get to visit some of our sister hotels soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2009

This is a vastly superior property to the Westin in Sydney. Though the rooms may be a bit older than those at the Westin Sydney, this hotel outshines its flashier neighbor in all respects. The service at this property is fantastic, especially the concierge, who couldn't have been nicer or more helpful in telling us how to get around and making restaurant bookings at our request. Every staff member had a smile on their face and was very willing to help.

The rooms are fairly traditional, but nicely done. The bathrooms are elegant, with a separate tub and large standup shower and a huge double vanity. As others have said, the only negative in the room was the lack of a flat panel television, but that is a small price to pay for such a professionally run hotel in such a central location. Because of the tram system, and the fact that the hotel is centrally located, it is easy to get just about anywhere in Melbourne (except the airport, which does not have any public transportation links).

I would highly recommend this hotel, and if you are a SPG member and able to do cash and points, I think the value factor here is incredible.

1  Thank qaz123
WestinMel, General Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2009

Dear qaz123,
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay. I am pleased to read that you found our service professional and friendly and our central location convenient (which I hope you took advantage of as there is so much to see and do in this great city of ours.) Please note, we will be replacing our televisions with flat panel versions for our guests to enjoy in the near future. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2009

The Westin is in the PEFECT location to experience Melbourne. Imporatant sights are nearby and public transportation is readily accessible.

We spent 6 nights there on Starwood points, so, of course, it was an incredible value for us. We did NOT eat at the restaurant (breakfast buffet was $38, so we opted for a muffin and coffee at the Starbucks on the ground floor). There are myriad restaurant choices nearby and we opted for the Italian restaurants on Bourke St., an easy walk from the hotel.

Service was polite and efficient from the front desk and the doormen. I needed to take a business call in the middle of the night and the business center was opened for me. Internet service is expensive ($30/day or $100 for a week).

GREAT lobby area and a small balcony that overlooks the street. Workout facilities were never crowded.

An enjoyable stay and we would highly recommend this as a base for a Melbourne vsit.

Dear old3,
I am pleased to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one and that you would recommend the hotel to others wishing to experience a restoring stay in Melbourne. Our central location is an attribute which keeps many of our guests returning and it sounds like you made the most of it by paying a visit to some of the great dining options nearby.

Reviewed September 26, 2009

We spent a weekend in our home town and stayed at the Westin using some points that we had to use or lose.

Positives:
- Location location location - it's in a great spot
- Bedroom was very large; actually quite huge and I've stayed in some big rooms in old hotels in Asia - this was was surprisingly big for a mid-city hotel.
- Bathroom was very nice - rain shower, big bath etc..
- Brunetti's in square outside hotel has best coffee in Melbourne, great cakes etc., which you will do well to visit if you want to pay reasonable price
- Pool and steam room are nice. Didn't use gym but it looked well equipped.

Negatives:
- as someone else mentioned, take every opportunity to gouge customers for more money.
- $40 parking for in house guests is insulting in the extrreme
- $9 for bottle of water, etc etc
- furnishings are somewhat minimalist for my taste
- unlike previous commentary, I didn't think the service was so great. For example, I was waiting to get into a lift and the porter with a trolley full of stuff just barged in ahead of me, with no 'mind your leave'. Young guy on a Sunday morning, looked hung over, didn't even notice I existed. Also waited half an hour for toothbrushes, which in five star hotel should be provided.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
WestinMel, General Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2009

Dear Ozziepore,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit. The hotel prides itself on providing guests with a renewing & memorable experience and it is unfortunate to read that you did not experience such service during your weekend break. Please rest assured that this is not representative of our service culture and we will make every effort to address this issue accordingly. I do hope your stay with us was an enjoyable one despite this and I am pleased to hear that you found our location, facilities and guest rooms to your liking. Melbournians are passionate about their coffee & Brunetti’s is a favourite amongst locals and tourists alike.

Reviewed September 19, 2009

We stayed in a deluxe room with a view overlooking Swanston Street and St Paul's Cathedral. When we arrived the Church Bells were ringing. Check-in was swift and we were up to our rooms in no time. The rooms were large and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was massive and I thoroughly enjoyed my bath and rain shower. Both room and bathroom were spotless. Very clean.
My only complaint was the bed was a little too soft for my liking - in saying that my husband loved it.
For dinner we headed to Chinatown ( few blocks walk) and had a nice meal at the Supper Inn. Desert was at a Lindt Shop in Collins St (the waffle desert is to die for).
We had brunch the following day at Degraves St. (So cannot comment on hotel restaurants/room service etc)
We used the valet parking, which was $40, thats what most carparks charge.
The location was superb. An easy walk to several sights, shopping and food. On arrival we were given a late check out at no extra cost. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
WestinMel, General Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2009

Dear Miffstoy,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel. It is feedback such as yours that continues to inspire our associates to provide the personal and instinctive service that you have enjoyed. It sounds like you made the most of our central location! Supper Inn is a Melbourne institution and very popular with many of our guests.
I hope we can welcome you back soon for a renewing break.

Reviewed September 16, 2009

If you scroll down you will see that I have stayed at this Hotel many times and I think reviewed it on at least two occassions here. Last Sunday and Monday I stayed again for work after many months absence. The amazing thing about this hotel is the staff. From the doorman to house keeping I was greeted by name. But beyond this it is the attitude they genuinely care about service which in Australia is a rare thing. Ian at the door welcomed me home. I have not stayed a while at the Westin as I have restricted travel as I am having repeated surgery for a terrible malady. The concierge could see my distress when I got to the check in area as i needed desperately to get to my room and attend to health issues and there was a large group checking in. He took me straight to my room and advised that the front desk could check me in later. Later that night at dinner in the restaurant again I was greeted by name and they already appreciated that I just wanted a quick dinner so I could get back to the room and rest. Housekeeping left a note wishing me a speedy recovery from my operations (they had been preawarned as I needed certain amenities in the bathroom.) The hotel is now 10 years old and the rooms remain reasonably fresh and show signs of being refreshed which is great.
I am only a starwood gold guest but also an Ambassador Guest (new starwood program) and unlike the platinum guest below can say that I have always received great recognistion from the manager and staff at this Hotel. The team here are just excellent there is no faulting them. I think that a measure of a hotel managers job is not his greeting or acknolwedgement of you personally but that his entire staff do so.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Dear JJW63,
It is so inspiring to read reviews such as the one you have taken the time to write. The hotel prides itself on offering personal service to all of our guests and I am pleased to hear you experienced this during your recent stay. I hope we can welcome you back 'home' soon and I wish you a speedy road to recovery.