“Fabulous location and gorgeous room”

The Westin Melbourne
Ranked #16 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here with my Melbourne University student daughter for 3 nights. She checked in for us after class, the room was absolutely perfect with 2 very comfortable queen beds, a huge bathroom and plenty of space for suitcases, shopping and phone/ ipad chargers. King Kong was right next door, and tram-stops or city shopping only seconds away. Next time I go to visit her, we will stay here again, and will book in a spa day for us both!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear reviewer. Thank you for your uplifting review. We are pleased to learn your stay us was so memorable. It certainly sounds like you made the most of our enviable location, amongst all the best that Melbourne city has to offer. We are well known for our large and well appointed rooms and our signature Heavenly Bed provides a comfortable and revitalizing night’s sleep. The bed linen can actually be purchased through the hotel and there is currently 25% off until the end of December. Prior to your next stay, please contact our concierge so we may organise the in room massage for you and your daughter. If you are not already a Starwood Preferred Guest member, please request to join the program so we may keep you informed of our special offers and 15% off food in all our venues (T& C’s apply). We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to The Westin Melbourne once again. Be well.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,081)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We don't normally spend as much on accommodation as we did for this hotel but it was worth it. I had notified the Westin that we were in town for my husband's 50th and they upgraded our room and when we got to the room there was a plate with chocolates on it and happy birthday piped on it in chocolate. Nice touch. Started the weekend off on a fantastic note. Can't say enough about the location and service. The beds and shower definitely lived up to the hype. I doubt we will ever stay anywhere else in Melbourne again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear reviewer. We are thrilled that you and your husband chose to stay with us for such a special occasion. Thank you for taking the time to share your refreshing comments. We are delighted you appreciated our personable and instinctive service and that you enjoyed the signature in room features that we are so well known for. We sincerely look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again in the not too distant future for another special celebration. Be well.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Exceptionally well-appointed rooms with grand bathrooms, but the icing on the cake was the central location. Easy to meet guests in the lobby and go from here; lots happening in the area and easy walking distance to attractions, events and dining. Service was fantastic!

Room Tip: The rooms on the first guest floor have balconies overlooking the square - highly recommended!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MarllaKelly

Dear reviewer. Thank you for your comments. We are delighted the family enjoyed the unbeatable central location, the stunning city views, the signature room features and our impeccable service. The deluxe rooms with a Juliet balcony are always very popular and are located on 3 sides of the Hotel. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again in the future. Be well.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

First time at this hotel for a conference last week. Great location with lots of food and shopping places a short stroll away.
The hotel is modern, spotlessly clean and the staff are very friendly.
The hotel room and especially the bathroom are very large and with good facilities.
The buffet breakfast is plentiful and they do fantastic eggs.
The tea and coffee service at breakfast is a joke. We were either finished or nearly finished our meals when our tea or coffee arrived and that was with the restaurant only one third full. This happened 3 days in a row so was not just a one off. The one day I just ordered hot water which still took 15 minutes to arrive.

The 20m lap pool and steam room are great for a workout the gym is very well equipped.

I found the bed too soft but others didn't mind.

Would happily stay here again but I'm thinking of calling down from the room to order my coffee so it is ready while I'm still having breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bonenomad

Dear reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is valuable to us. We are pleased you enjoyed our first class in room facilities and unbeatable location that we are so well known for. We are also delighted to hear you experienced the personable and friendly service we strive to offer all our guests. We will be sure to pass on the positive comments regarding your breakfast to the chef, whom has worked for our Hotel since its opening. As for the tea and coffee service you experienced, we sincerely apologise for this and assure you that it is not the usual standard of service. May we just mention that there are two types of mattresses and if you prefer a firmer mattress you can advise us of this at time of booking so we can ensure your room is prepared for your comfort. During your next stay, if you are not already a Starwood Preferred Guest member, please request to join the program so we may keep you informed of our special offers and 15% off food in all our venues (T& C’s apply). We sincerely look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again in the future. Be well.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the first time during my first visit to Melbourne. Awesome location right in the middle of the city area. really impressed with the food quality, hospitality and the ambience. Definitely would love to come back and stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear reviewer. Melbourne has recently been voted as the most livable city in the world and there is so much to offer visitors travelling for either business and/or leisure. We are pleased you made the most of it by staying at our hotel in its unsurpassed location. We will ensure your positive comments are passed on to our chefs and our staff regarding your dining experiences and instinctive service. During your next stay, book on our SPG App and view our special offers and also as a reminder SPG members are entitled to 15% off food in all our venues (T& C’s apply). We do look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again in the future. Be well.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights early this May during my second visit to Melbourne. Being a Starwood SPG having stayed in a galaxy of Starwood properties worldwide, I had reasonable expectations for this Westin, which however turned out to be a total failure, every atom.

The Low-down:

1. Dirty room:
See my photos “Rooms 1~9”. An eyeful of dust on multiple surfaces of the door safety lock. Dubious stain on the sofa fabric. Unstable lampshade. Blatant scratches on one of the wall surfaces. Hard-to-ignore smears on the entire surface of the electrical kettle (though being matte in its original color already!!). Zigzag smudges on the carpet (which is originally in grey color, Good Gracious). Blaring dust on the back of the Sony iDock. To top it off, a red-colored ball pan scratch happened to be found when I was about to check out and fumbling for my eye mask! I was dumbfounded, full length and width.

2. Faulty toilet:
What is the fundamental function of a toilet? To flush, right? Well in my room (643), the toilet’s water pressure was set so strong as to SPLASH water onto one’s private parts EVERYTIME one presses either button (big or small). To make sure I was not mistaken, I tried a few more times by replacing the toilet cover before pressing each of the two buttons in succession, only to find water spots splashed ONTO the inner side of the cover every time. Ladies, avoid this hotel.

(Ask Miss Leah Qin who witnessed my showing her these problems. I videotaped the whole process in her presence. She said sorry for that).

3. Suspicious remains on the toilet’s inner cover:
See my photo. I do not want to fathom what they (yellowish stains on the two grey seeming knots deployed symmetrically on the round-shaped cover) were.

4. Irresponsive buttons on the air-con panel:
It was early May and felt a bit cold in the room. I pressed the buttons on the air-con controller embedded in the wall but found the figures did not change.

5. Problematic shower head:
Water pressure unstable. Water streams uneven. When you turned it off, water kept dropping onto the ground for at least 10 minutes (yes, I counted). So, you had to climb up from your bed and go to shut the bathroom door tight in order to screen off the noises.

6. Unclean fittings in the bathroom
See my photos (iPhone 4S does not make good photos but I guess these are just enough to show you what I saw). Dust in many corners of the metallic fittings in the bathroom. Also stains around the shower handle. Sloppy room cleaning!!!

7. Horrendous service at the Spa:

The world’s MOST LUDICROUS Spa experience was found here. Now see how:

As a Spa addict who has enjoyed this divine service in many decent hotels across the world, I emailed the concierge well in advance to make a booking. They said that they had a DECENT Spa “CENTER”, which turned out to be a hurtfully TINY room located immediately next to a Public RESTROOM. There was no place to change or store clothes. No slippers.

The therapist is an Out-Sourced one who didn’t show up as scheduled until after I was kept waiting there, attended to nobody at all in the basement, like an idiot in front of the public restroom for 15 minutes. The so-called Spa room which he led me into is no bigger than 6 square meters. The massage bed is in a size not sufficient for any person who stands taller than 5’11. Lying onto it, my feet had to dangle helplessly beyond the frame. Even worse, the bed crackled from time to time throughout the entire massage which was absolutely mediocre.

Both the therapist and I spent another 10 minutes looking for a proper place for me to change clothes. In the meantime we found another issue: there was NO disposable underwear at all. I was totally shocked since this is a Westin, instead of an Ibis. To put it short, the therapist managed to go upstairs to get me a pair of slippers and underwear to wear on, so that we could get started. Before the massage was commenced, I didn't see him wash his hands after touching more than one door handle of the public restroom. I regretted so much not saying NO to such a shabby Spa facility merely because of my good impressions gained in Westin property located everywhere else which I previously stayed in.

8. Wrong type of room:
One night before my arrival, I called the reception in person (after seeing a film in Melbourne Central) to inform that I had requested a room on a HIGHER floor (and I even emailed their concierge to double confirm that someone would take notice of this). The day I arrived, someone offhandedly assigned me a poorly-lit corner room on the 2nd room. To my surprise, that room had an ugly balcony just beside which there stands a mammoth Plant Bed (no flowers, just some sadly looking trees). So my request was totally ignored. I then called to enquire why. Someone told me “that is the exact room type you requested, the Workout Room”. I explained that a “totally blocked view” is rather bad in my culture and, besides, I had long before requested a higher floor. If they could not meet my concurrent requests, then I would be absolutely fine to waive my request for workout facilities (which turned out to be a mere fixed-type bicycle and a Swiss Ball, both looking very tired in that room on the second floor). Then she told me to “wait”. During my wait in the room, some technician knocked at the door and claimed that he was coming to fix the fridge which had been reported the night before to be not working!!! Oh my God, so you knowingly assigned me a room with a broken fridge in – what was going on in your reception team, heh?

I walked out of the room to avoid touching anything in that 2nd-floor room, only to be left waiting in the corridor for 16 minutes, while still carrying all my heavy luggage in hand). Seeing no sign that any human being was coming to aid me, I asked one of the cleaners walking in the corridor. An Indian lady responded and spoke over her walkie-talkie to the reception. After an extra 10 minutes, a bell boy approached me with the key to the new room (643) in which I noticed all the above-listed problems, however.

9. Unbelievably shabby gym:
Shown in my photos. I spotted more than 8 gaping slits on the artificial leather on the sport facilities. And one plastic covering has turned into a nasty blackish yellow and smelt of lingering sweat. More disgusting was the Swiss Ball, which had been stained to a heavy extent (see the photo). Some paper scraps left on the ground. Carpet totally dirty. I noticed that both the gym and the Spa were not attended to by any staff member, but still wondered: many other hotels do not staff similar areas with human beings, but managed to keep them decently clean. Why this Westin has failed in doing so to such an unbearable extent?

10. Morning call:
They would call you up to 7 minutes earlier than requested. For a sophisticated business traveler, this can hardly be deemed as professional, right? Do they NOT do this by machine? A bit hard to understand why.

11. Insufficient communications between staff members:
I called the reception and concierge respectively one day earlier to inform that I might need an earlier check-in. Upon arrival, a lady receptionist told me that no message was left to any one on duty there and then to that effect. Thus I had to take my carry-on baggage to the said extremely tiny Spa room where no place was ever available to keep my belongings.

Why did they NOT communicate with each other as to a usual request as simple as an early check-in? I would be fine if you told me that this request could not be accommodated due to high occupancy. But I just could hardly accept it that you FAILED to communicate with each other for that matter. Indeed, I told them on the phone one day earlier that I would head for the spa massage upon arrival. To that effect, someone should be alerted of the basic need for storing my personal belongings before my taking the massage. Unfortunately, they just neglected.

12. No response at ServiceExpress:
There is a button “ServiceExpress” on the telephone set in the room. But every time I pressed it, no one answered EVER. During my total stay of 2 days, I tried around 7 times, only the very last time it was answered. You call this Express?

13. Terrorizing reaction with intent to shut me up:

Fellow travelers, here is the very essence of my totally ruined stay in this Westin.

After talking to the reception over all these issues on my first day, I decided to ignore them all and keep on with my next day’s scheduled activities. Thus on the second day I left the hotel first thing for a winery tour near Melbourne. And that winery tour was a real delight and I tried many different genres of wine in up to 4 truly pretty wineries. However, in the afternoon I received a call from my friend Lewes, who asked me whether I could “proceed no further with my complaints as he was advised by someone from this Westin”. Shocked and confused were how I was feeling at that time. Later it turned out the Marketing & Sales Director, by the name of Kerrie Mulholland, had called Lewes in person to ask about my background and also why Lewes had issued the StarFriends Rate Authorization Form (designed by Starwood Group to encourage its employees to invite their friends and family members to stay in the Group’s properties worldwide) for such a “trouble-maker” like me. Understandably, my day trip was ruined from the very moment when I received Lewes’ call from across the ocean.

So I returned to this hopeless hotel in a very upset mood. Calming myself down a bit, I called the reception to ask for a face-to-face talk with someone competent. After another 20 minutes’ wait, this Kerrie appeared in the company of an Indian looking gentleman (who is a lot nicer in attitude). Entering my room and without asking me of a single question, Kerrie burst out that “I don’t understand why you have lodged such a huge load of complaints within 24 hours after your check-in. Our hotel is definitely a very good one no matter what you reported of to us”.

Now let me grasp some breath. It is an utter pain to re-live these moments. I am proud to report that as an experienced business and leisurely traveler to many different countries, I succeeded in controlling my emotions and trying all means to speak in a controlled tone to her over all my found issues, one after another. After that, she was speechless. But she left with no apologies. And she refused to witness the issues I reported of their toilet. She declined to be shown by me to see the stains, smears and smudges in different parts of her managed hotel.

Until today, I still could not understand this – Kerrie, let me ask you: I was then staying in your hotel and you had all my contact details; why did you NOT call me directly for a talk over these things? Why you elected to phone someone in my country of origin in such a disgraceful effort to ask my friend make me SHUT UP about all these serious problems evidenced by my photos and videotape? Did you ever bother to ask around and learn duly of all my reported issues before you rushed to call Lewes? Answer me straight in here, Kerrie.

Oh Kerrie, you have behaved in a manner which defined you as one of the most hostile and unprofessional hotel managers on this planet, may I say so based on my intensive travel experiences so far.

I do sigh for your arrogance, negligence as well as incompetence.

And I do sorrow over myself and my friend Lewes who did nothing wrong at all. He tried to help me have a pleasant experience in my beloved city of Melbourne, thus he had issued me that StarFriends Authorization Rate Form. But later, I learned that there was an almost negligible difference between my paid room rate and the best available rate found online (such as hotelscombined.com) for the same dates of stay. To put things from bad to worse and then to worst, the lady Kerrie put on this act of terrorizing. Unfortunately, I have every reason to report here in public of what you have done to me, a heart-broken Starwood SPG.

I write this because I want Starwood to listen: you are not supposed to treat me like that only because I was booked under the StarFriends Rate. It is your Group that had designed, launched and promoted your own staff members to invite people in.

Bye Westin, for good.

Room Tip: Avoid this property altogether.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
27  Thank Duncan J
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here multiple times when I've visited Melbourne before and it's always an awesome stay. Pricey of course but same as all hotels of this quality and I can never fault the place. Friendly service, clean huge rooms that feel luxurious with enormous king size beds, a view over the city and great bathrooms - the shower heads are amazing.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank AdM85

Dear reviewer and valued guest. Thank you for taking the time to share such positive comments. We do appreciate your loyalty and are delighted to learn your stay is always memorable. Melbourne is such an exciting city with so much to do and see, even on a short stay. Our SPG App is a fast way to book now and to view special offers and SPG members are entitled to 15% off food in all our venues (T& C’s apply). We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Melbourne on your next visit. Be well.