“Classy hotel in Melbourne at the eart of the city”

The Westin Melbourne
Ranked #18 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Classy hotel in Melbourne at the eart of the city”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the first time during my first visit to Melbourne. Awesome location right in the middle of the city area. really impressed with the food quality, hospitality and the ambience. Definitely would love to come back and stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear reviewer. Melbourne has recently been voted as the most livable city in the world and there is so much to offer visitors travelling for either business and/or leisure. We are pleased you made the most of it by staying at our hotel in its unsurpassed location. We will ensure your positive comments are passed on to our chefs and our staff regarding your dining experiences and instinctive service. During your next stay, book on our SPG App and view our special offers and also as a reminder SPG members are entitled to 15% off food in all our venues (T& C’s apply). We do look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again in the future. Be well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Korean first
Shanghai Region, China
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights early this May during my second visit to Melbourne. Being a Starwood SPG having stayed in a galaxy of Starwood properties worldwide, I had reasonable expectations for this Westin, which however turned out to be a total failure, every atom.

The Low-down:

1. Dirty room:
See my photos “Rooms 1~9”. An eyeful of dust on multiple surfaces of the door safety lock. Dubious stain on the sofa fabric. Unstable lampshade. Blatant scratches on one of the wall surfaces. Hard-to-ignore smears on the entire surface of the electrical kettle (though being matte in its original color already!!). Zigzag smudges on the carpet (which is originally in grey color, Good Gracious). Blaring dust on the back of the Sony iDock. To top it off, a red-colored ball pan scratch happened to be found when I was about to check out and fumbling for my eye mask! I was dumbfounded, full length and width.

2. Faulty toilet:
What is the fundamental function of a toilet? To flush, right? Well in my room (643), the toilet’s water pressure was set so strong as to SPLASH water onto one’s private parts EVERYTIME one presses either button (big or small). To make sure I was not mistaken, I tried a few more times by replacing the toilet cover before pressing each of the two buttons in succession, only to find water spots splashed ONTO the inner side of the cover every time. Ladies, avoid this hotel.

(Ask Miss Leah Qin who witnessed my showing her these problems. I videotaped the whole process in her presence. She said sorry for that).

3. Suspicious remains on the toilet’s inner cover:
See my photo. I do not want to fathom what they (yellowish stains on the two grey seeming knots deployed symmetrically on the round-shaped cover) were.

4. Irresponsive buttons on the air-con panel:
It was early May and felt a bit cold in the room. I pressed the buttons on the air-con controller embedded in the wall but found the figures did not change.

5. Problematic shower head:
Water pressure unstable. Water streams uneven. When you turned it off, water kept dropping onto the ground for at least 10 minutes (yes, I counted). So, you had to climb up from your bed and go to shut the bathroom door tight in order to screen off the noises.

6. Unclean fittings in the bathroom
See my photos (iPhone 4S does not make good photos but I guess these are just enough to show you what I saw). Dust in many corners of the metallic fittings in the bathroom. Also stains around the shower handle. Sloppy room cleaning!!!

7. Horrendous service at the Spa:

The world’s MOST LUDICROUS Spa experience was found here. Now see how:

As a Spa addict who has enjoyed this divine service in many decent hotels across the world, I emailed the concierge well in advance to make a booking. They said that they had a DECENT Spa “CENTER”, which turned out to be a hurtfully TINY room located immediately next to a Public RESTROOM. There was no place to change or store clothes. No slippers.

The therapist is an Out-Sourced one who didn’t show up as scheduled until after I was kept waiting there, attended to nobody at all in the basement, like an idiot in front of the public restroom for 15 minutes. The so-called Spa room which he led me into is no bigger than 6 square meters. The massage bed is in a size not sufficient for any person who stands taller than 5’11. Lying onto it, my feet had to dangle helplessly beyond the frame. Even worse, the bed crackled from time to time throughout the entire massage which was absolutely mediocre.

Both the therapist and I spent another 10 minutes looking for a proper place for me to change clothes. In the meantime we found another issue: there was NO disposable underwear at all. I was totally shocked since this is a Westin, instead of an Ibis. To put it short, the therapist managed to go upstairs to get me a pair of slippers and underwear to wear on, so that we could get started. Before the massage was commenced, I didn't see him wash his hands after touching more than one door handle of the public restroom. I regretted so much not saying NO to such a shabby Spa facility merely because of my good impressions gained in Westin property located everywhere else which I previously stayed in.

8. Wrong type of room:
One night before my arrival, I called the reception in person (after seeing a film in Melbourne Central) to inform that I had requested a room on a HIGHER floor (and I even emailed their concierge to double confirm that someone would take notice of this). The day I arrived, someone offhandedly assigned me a poorly-lit corner room on the 2nd room. To my surprise, that room had an ugly balcony just beside which there stands a mammoth Plant Bed (no flowers, just some sadly looking trees). So my request was totally ignored. I then called to enquire why. Someone told me “that is the exact room type you requested, the Workout Room”. I explained that a “totally blocked view” is rather bad in my culture and, besides, I had long before requested a higher floor. If they could not meet my concurrent requests, then I would be absolutely fine to waive my request for workout facilities (which turned out to be a mere fixed-type bicycle and a Swiss Ball, both looking very tired in that room on the second floor). Then she told me to “wait”. During my wait in the room, some technician knocked at the door and claimed that he was coming to fix the fridge which had been reported the night before to be not working!!! Oh my God, so you knowingly assigned me a room with a broken fridge in – what was going on in your reception team, heh?

I walked out of the room to avoid touching anything in that 2nd-floor room, only to be left waiting in the corridor for 16 minutes, while still carrying all my heavy luggage in hand). Seeing no sign that any human being was coming to aid me, I asked one of the cleaners walking in the corridor. An Indian lady responded and spoke over her walkie-talkie to the reception. After an extra 10 minutes, a bell boy approached me with the key to the new room (643) in which I noticed all the above-listed problems, however.

9. Unbelievably shabby gym:
Shown in my photos. I spotted more than 8 gaping slits on the artificial leather on the sport facilities. And one plastic covering has turned into a nasty blackish yellow and smelt of lingering sweat. More disgusting was the Swiss Ball, which had been stained to a heavy extent (see the photo). Some paper scraps left on the ground. Carpet totally dirty. I noticed that both the gym and the Spa were not attended to by any staff member, but still wondered: many other hotels do not staff similar areas with human beings, but managed to keep them decently clean. Why this Westin has failed in doing so to such an unbearable extent?

10. Morning call:
They would call you up to 7 minutes earlier than requested. For a sophisticated business traveler, this can hardly be deemed as professional, right? Do they NOT do this by machine? A bit hard to understand why.

11. Insufficient communications between staff members:
I called the reception and concierge respectively one day earlier to inform that I might need an earlier check-in. Upon arrival, a lady receptionist told me that no message was left to any one on duty there and then to that effect. Thus I had to take my carry-on baggage to the said extremely tiny Spa room where no place was ever available to keep my belongings.

Why did they NOT communicate with each other as to a usual request as simple as an early check-in? I would be fine if you told me that this request could not be accommodated due to high occupancy. But I just could hardly accept it that you FAILED to communicate with each other for that matter. Indeed, I told them on the phone one day earlier that I would head for the spa massage upon arrival. To that effect, someone should be alerted of the basic need for storing my personal belongings before my taking the massage. Unfortunately, they just neglected.

12. No response at ServiceExpress:
There is a button “ServiceExpress” on the telephone set in the room. But every time I pressed it, no one answered EVER. During my total stay of 2 days, I tried around 7 times, only the very last time it was answered. You call this Express?

13. Terrorizing reaction with intent to shut me up:

Fellow travelers, here is the very essence of my totally ruined stay in this Westin.

After talking to the reception over all these issues on my first day, I decided to ignore them all and keep on with my next day’s scheduled activities. Thus on the second day I left the hotel first thing for a winery tour near Melbourne. And that winery tour was a real delight and I tried many different genres of wine in up to 4 truly pretty wineries. However, in the afternoon I received a call from my friend Lewes, who asked me whether I could “proceed no further with my complaints as he was advised by someone from this Westin”. Shocked and confused were how I was feeling at that time. Later it turned out the Marketing & Sales Director, by the name of Kerrie Mulholland, had called Lewes in person to ask about my background and also why Lewes had issued the StarFriends Rate Authorization Form (designed by Starwood Group to encourage its employees to invite their friends and family members to stay in the Group’s properties worldwide) for such a “trouble-maker” like me. Understandably, my day trip was ruined from the very moment when I received Lewes’ call from across the ocean.

So I returned to this hopeless hotel in a very upset mood. Calming myself down a bit, I called the reception to ask for a face-to-face talk with someone competent. After another 20 minutes’ wait, this Kerrie appeared in the company of an Indian looking gentleman (who is a lot nicer in attitude). Entering my room and without asking me of a single question, Kerrie burst out that “I don’t understand why you have lodged such a huge load of complaints within 24 hours after your check-in. Our hotel is definitely a very good one no matter what you reported of to us”.

Now let me grasp some breath. It is an utter pain to re-live these moments. I am proud to report that as an experienced business and leisurely traveler to many different countries, I succeeded in controlling my emotions and trying all means to speak in a controlled tone to her over all my found issues, one after another. After that, she was speechless. But she left with no apologies. And she refused to witness the issues I reported of their toilet. She declined to be shown by me to see the stains, smears and smudges in different parts of her managed hotel.

Until today, I still could not understand this – Kerrie, let me ask you: I was then staying in your hotel and you had all my contact details; why did you NOT call me directly for a talk over these things? Why you elected to phone someone in my country of origin in such a disgraceful effort to ask my friend make me SHUT UP about all these serious problems evidenced by my photos and videotape? Did you ever bother to ask around and learn duly of all my reported issues before you rushed to call Lewes? Answer me straight in here, Kerrie.

Oh Kerrie, you have behaved in a manner which defined you as one of the most hostile and unprofessional hotel managers on this planet, may I say so based on my intensive travel experiences so far.

I do sigh for your arrogance, negligence as well as incompetence.

And I do sorrow over myself and my friend Lewes who did nothing wrong at all. He tried to help me have a pleasant experience in my beloved city of Melbourne, thus he had issued me that StarFriends Authorization Rate Form. But later, I learned that there was an almost negligible difference between my paid room rate and the best available rate found online (such as hotelscombined.com) for the same dates of stay. To put things from bad to worse and then to worst, the lady Kerrie put on this act of terrorizing. Unfortunately, I have every reason to report here in public of what you have done to me, a heart-broken Starwood SPG.

I write this because I want Starwood to listen: you are not supposed to treat me like that only because I was booked under the StarFriends Rate. It is your Group that had designed, launched and promoted your own staff members to invite people in.

Bye Westin, for good.

Room Tip: Avoid this property altogether.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
26 Thank Duncan J
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here multiple times when I've visited Melbourne before and it's always an awesome stay. Pricey of course but same as all hotels of this quality and I can never fault the place. Friendly service, clean huge rooms that feel luxurious with enormous king size beds, a view over the city and great bathrooms - the shower heads are amazing.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank AdM85
Dear reviewer and valued guest. Thank you for taking the time to share such positive comments. We do appreciate your loyalty and are delighted to learn your stay is always memorable. Melbourne is such an exciting city with so much to do and see, even on a short stay. Our SPG App is a fast way to book now and to view special offers and SPG members are entitled to 15% off food in all our venues (T& C’s apply). We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Melbourne on your next visit. Be well.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I am always happy to open my door at the Westin and be greeted by the over-sized bathroom and very generous bedrooms. Modern, simple, under stated luxury in room appointments, always spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Lobby bar is similarly under stated and occasionally suffers from the usual under staffing common in Australian hotels. Looking forward to the Sheraton opening in Melbourne so us loyal Starwood members have a choice. Until then the Westin is a very god choice!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank StuckinBangers
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear reviewer and valued Starwood member. Thank you for your uplifting feedback. We are pleased you valued our spacious and well appointed guest rooms. They are certainly amongst the largest in Melbourne and we often receive feedback about the generous sized bathrooms and bathtubs. Your comments regarding the staff at the lobby bar are also welcomed and we are excited that we will soon have a ‘Sister Hotel” in Melbourne in 2014. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you to The Westin Melbourne in the future. Be well.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Situated in Collins Street in the upper “Paris end” this hotel is ultimately posited for serious shoppers or theatre goers. It is located next to a tram stop and a 5 minutes walk to Federation Square and 10 minutes to Crown Casino

The hotel has all the pros of a five star hotel : lovely foyer, trendy building with a european feel, high end restaurants and cocktail bars.

The hotel staff extremely friendly and helpful, they even remember your name as you enter at different times of the day and night.

Rooms are well appointed, large and well maintained. We stayed in a corner spa bath suite and the bathroom was almost the size of the room. The "Heavenly" bed was so comfortable that made it difficult to get up in the morning!!

I have stayed at a number of 5 star hotels in Melbourne including the Sofitel and Hilton, and none of these even come close to the Westin.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide such special feedback . We are pleased to provide a refreshing sanctuary in an unbeatable location. We are delighted you recognise our instinctive and personable service, as well as the luxurious in room features such as the Heavenly Spa and Heavenly Bed. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you for another revitalising stay in the future. During your next stay, perhaps download our SPG App for easy booking and with our latest special offers. Be well.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was our 2nd stay here, and this hotel has one of the most comfortable hotel beds ever. Breakfast was a little disappointing for the price - not a very good selection and with no real information from staff as to what was included or not. The only real issue here is that the bathroom has very poor lighting making shaving etc very difficult. So well located though that you could forgive most issues.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emdeme
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our signature in room features such as our Heavenly Bed and our unbeatable location. Your comments regarding the breakfast offering and in room lighting are also appreciated and have been well noted. We will investigate a magnifying mirror that is free standing and well lit for you to request on your next stay through service express. If you are not already a Starwood Preferred Guest member, please request to join the program so we may keep you informed of our special offers and 15% off food in all our venues (T& C’s apply). We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again in the future. Be well.
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Could not fault the Westin. We frequent Melbourne often & have struggled to find a hotel we love since our previous favourite closed down. The westin is clean, comfortable, modern, great location & friendly staff. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Reviewer. We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive feedback – it’s always so pleasing to hear when guests find a “new home” away from home. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you again upon your next visit to The Westin Melbourne. During your next stay, if you are not already a Starwood Preferred Guest member, please request to join the program so we may keep you informed of our special offers and 15% off food in all our venues (T& C’s apply). Be Well.