“Home away from home.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Home away from home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

From the warm welcome in the foyer to the smiles at breakfast it was a joy to be staying at the Westin. Central location with everything Melbourne has to offer on the door step. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, from room service to umbrellas and changes of itinerary all handled with a smile.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for choosing The Westin Melbourne for your recent holiday. We are delighted to read our associates provided personalized service and you enjoyed our unsurpassed location. Your special comments will be shared with all departments as inspiration to continue providing personal and instinctive service. We offer a fulfilling range of accommodation packages and welcome you to take advantage of our special offers for future visits to Melbourne. Be well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,704 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

A very professional and well located hotel. Always get a warm welcome on arrival and nothing is too much trouble for this friendly team. I had arrived hours early but they found me a room so I didn't have to wait around. The rooms are spacious, clean and well presented but the main benefit has to be its location.
I had several meetings and functions on and each one of them was within 5 minutes walking.
The breakfast is first class and the swimming pool is excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for recognizing our personal service, comfortable guest rooms and distinctive dining venue. We were pleased we were able to assist with an early morning check in to start your business stay. We look forward to providing you with instinctive service on your next visit to Melbourne. Be well.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have been a regular at the Westin Melbourne since it opened years ago and I'm pleased to say that it's still my favourite after all these years. The decor remains fresh. The rooms are generously sized, contemporary and spotlessly clean. It is always a relaxing retreat at the end of a long day. The location is very convenient, so close to business and retail (including some quality boutiques at the street entrance to the building). Perhaps my only caution is the in-room dining - over the years the quality of food has varied and the price has risen.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Collins Street have nice aspect and sound of quaint street trams. Rooms overlooki...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dear Reviewer. We appreciated your loyalty to The Westin Melbourne and delighted you experienced a fulfilling stay with our central location and refreshing facilities. Thank you for your feedback regarding our in room dining - we provide an extensive, restaurant-quality menu, which we constantly review to ensure it appeals to all budgets and tastes. We look forward to welcoming you back for another renewing stay.
Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Concierge was a delight to deal with when it came to my last minute booking. I had to conduct brief business down by the Lobby Bar lounge area (which also had attentive service), and moved my self upstairs for dinner since I was in the hood. The hotel was full due to numerous Seminars around Melbourne so I was forced to Stay elsewhere this time round, but it didn't keep me away from the fabulicity of this ol' favorite of mine. I had a great Vegetarian dinner and was looked after with the true Grace that Starwood is known for. I was greeted by the Restaurant supervisor, Kevin who made sure that the quality of service was nothing short of brilliant. This is about the 15th time I have dined at Allegro Restaurant, and I can not stop my self from going back for more. When I took my Momma and family there last year - they treated her with the love and attention I give her my self and she still talks about it. Thank you all so much for the wonderful food, service and ambiance that meets me every time I return to this homely institution. Simply exquisite...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear Reviewer. We are pleased you had a refreshing dining experience in Allegro. We pride ourselves on providing personal, instinctive service and are delighted to read our associates continue to provide memorable experiences for our guests. We will pass on your inspiring comments to the entire team. We look forward to providing another warm welcome when you next return to Melbourne. Be well.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I am surprised that this hotel only comes in eighth, but then I am also surprised by how many "excellent" ratings it receives. I have stayed in some of the hotels that are rated higher, and I would not rate them higher. The hotel probably has the best location in Melbourne, and it is a unique and solidly constructed building. However, very few details, e.g., lack of floral arrangements, and lack of pleasant lighting in the public areas. Rooms are a little bare too, with very few amenities. No shoe horn, comb, toothbrush or paste, and no turndown service. An Asian hotel group could do something really spectacular with the facility, but Westin appears to be aiming for four stars, while hoping to get five. excellent, and large pool in the basement. I have stayed here many times and I will continue to stay here, but not because it's so great but because this is Australia, which is by no means the land of great hotels, and thus the Westin is about as good as it gets in Melbourne, which again is far short of excellent. Also, the breakfast is over priced and does not have much of a selection.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your detailed feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed our refreshing Wellness centre and location surrounded by Melbourne’s finest attractions. We were surprised to hear your comments on floral arrangement and lighting in the public areas however we would definitely take your feedback on board. Please note any room amenities can be obtained by contacting our dedicated Service Express team, as well as turn down service. We do offer an a la carte menu along with the buffet breakfast in Allegro. Our breakfast chef can prepare a special omelet and poached eggs to your liking if the selections are not sufficient. We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide a more refreshing experience in the not too distant future. Be well.
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Westin is centrally located which is its plus. Check in was ok, room not ready at 12.30pm, and then a parade of staff into our room on the Saturday night to fix a faulty light - which could only be rectified by removing all the light bulbs - which given it was Saturday night was again ok (maybe not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel). What was most unpleasant was the that a very expensive necklace was lost in the room between Sat afternoon and check out the next day and was never seen again. Just a reminder that you should always keep your precious items stored safely in your room.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Melb_bound
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Melbourne. Please note our hotel check in time is 3pm and we will endeavor to arrange early check in subject to availability. We apologize for the maintenance issues you encountered in your guestroom and sorry to hear your unfortunate incident. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly because we trust our associates have high integrity and would like to further investigate this matter. May we request you contact our Rooms Division Manager at your convenience. We look forward to hearing from you. Be well.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife has surprised me with a mid week getaway and we are staying at the Westin for a couple of days.

Wonderful service, friendly staff, superb location and to top it off cool but very pleasant weather.

We are walking over to the Monet exhibition today after a short stroll last night to Il Bacaro Italian restaurant, superb! So the location is wonderfully close to most things and within a stones throw of city shopping.

As I type, I can hear in the background bells dinging on trams and them crossing, which is just loud enough to be a pleasant reminder of Melbourne, however not bothersome.

My wife is now running the bath before we head out from our simple but elegant room which is comfortable and well appointed.

Happy to be at the Westin and in Melbourne !!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for choosing the Westin for your exceptional city getaway. It was inspiring to read you both enjoyed our refreshing room facilities, unsurpassed location and instinctive service. For future Melbourne visits, please view our Westin website to take advantage of special offers and earn Starpoints when you stay again. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel. Be well.