“Absolute 5-star excellence”

Ranked #17 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Canberra
“Absolute 5-star excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Melbourne for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon. I cannot recommend this place highly enough!! First of all, we arrived at the hotel at 6.30 in the morning, having come off an all-nighter flight from Darwin. We were hoping that they would mind our luggage so we could walk around the city till check-in time but they went one better than that and checked us in then and there, allowing us some precious much needed sleep. The rooms are just magnificent, everything was absolutely perfect and I have to say, the beds are freaking AWESOME! Both of us have never slept so well...the beds are so comfy we even considered buying one!

We arrived back in our hotel after a day of sight-seeing to a little package from the manager who'd been informed it was our honeymoon. Chocolates and truffles - yum! I really appreciated this extra touch.

We also booked an in-room massage as part of our stay which included Balance water and organic chocolate. Couldn't at all fault the staff or booking procedures.

Would definitely stay here again...in fact I'm already planning our next trip.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — ...? truly cannot fault
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MayPatricia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Korean first
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2007

I stayed here for one night recently for business. I've stayed at alot of 5 star hotels recently but was very impressed with this property. I thought the room was very large and wonderfully appointed. The bathroom was truly spectacular to look at and so large 20 people could fit in it. Everything you could possibly need the room had. The location of the hotel can't be beat as you walk right out to one of the poshest CBD shopping streets in Melbourne with numerous cafes within walking distance.

As I am a light sleeper I asked for a room away from the street and got it. Throughout my stay I asked for a few things to be brought to my room and they were delivered promptly with wonderful service.

I liked this property alot and would stay at the Westin Melbourne again and recommend it to my friends.

• Liked — Stunning hotel room and amazing bathroom, great location
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything bad to be honest
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank OzTraveller20
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

We always manage to have a ball in Melboune and thought we would try Australia's hotel of the year! What a joke who rates these hotels!!

Rooms are nice, view not that special, staff very arrogant and snooty. Just what the business traveller would expect but if you want fun and value for money Grand Hyatt, Langham and Cowne do service with a smile much better.

• Liked — Duvet in the room was lovely
  • Disliked — Heavenly bed not so heavenly
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pinkpuffle
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

I just finished my 3rd stay at The Westin, Melbourne and I had to rush here and write up a quick review.

Firstly as my title indicates this hotel never fails to impress. It's one of the few properties in fact that I never hesitate to stay at and actually don't even worry about the room assignment etc (I can be picky with noise so usually request high floors, far from elevators etc.) From the moment you walk in the tranquil and modern lobby area, which is shared with the great Martini Bar you, are immediately impressed. Despite the fact that the hotel is situated right in the middle of town at a fairly busy intersection, you never feel the hustle from inside the hotel.

The rooms are spacious and modern. One of the best features is the oversized bathrooms which include a REAL 'deep soaker tub' and a large walk in shower with rainshower, both a treat. The Heavenly Beds are exactly that and never fail to give me a good nights rest. The room service is great but could be more diverse, especially if you're staying for an extended period. That being said Melbourne is a city of fine dining so you never have an excuse to stay in if you don't want to.

The other facilities are very much in keeping with the rest of the property, including a great indoor pool/sauna/spa and gym area. The gym machines are getting a little tired but overall it's acceptable.

In closing, this is a great hotel whether you are visiting or are in town for business meetings. A quick tip r.e room assignments if you're averse to street noise. Ask for a room NOT on Collins St as many of these have little balconies and the street traffic finds it's way in through the balcony doors quite easily. The rooms facing Swanston Street are quieter although both streets have streetcars so keep that in mind.

• Liked — Large, modern, and comfortable rooms. Huge bathrooms with full size tubs!
  • Disliked — $24.95/day Internet Fee..outrageous for these times when free wifi is readily available in other hotels
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank FrankDrebin
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

I booked the Regent Suite at the Westin for my wedding night and I let the hotel know that my bridal party and I will be there at 2 pm to get dressed into wedding attire. We were running a little late and turned up at 2:30pm. We went to reception to check-in but they told us the room wasn't ready and that it will become available at 3:30pm. The ceremony was at 4pm!!! The staff was not very apologetic but hastily organised for the room to be cleaned. We eventually got into the room which had been half-cleaned. The room was definitely not worth the $1200 price-tag, and we never got a formal apology from the Westin for their oversight. This is the most expensive mediocre hotel I have stayed in.

• Disliked — Poor customer service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank girltalk
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2007

Exceptionally curteous and friendly staff. We had a deluxe room on level 7 which had nice views. The room was quite big and the bathroom huge. The indoor pool, sauna and steam room are worth the visit.
Breakfast was served at Allegro restaurant which was very relaxing and with a good selection of food, but not as extensive as other Westins I have stayed in.

Surprisingly I had to request slippers - apparently they don't provide these in each room.

Check-in was a bit of a surprise - even though we paid for a package on a Sunday evening, the hotel would not upgrade us despite occupancy being quite low without us paying a fee.

• Liked — Luxurious
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank supragirl
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

Wow. What a night we had at Westin on NYE in 2004! I only just discovered this website while booking another night in the city, and just had to leave a review for anyone thinking of where they could stay for NYE this year.

When we stayed at Westin in 2004 the room was around $300 but is more expensive now - but definitely worth every cent.

We stayed in a room at the front of the hotel, overlooking the city square, from memory about 8 floors up. Our room had french windows opening up onto the tiniest balcony, but it made for a fantastic evening because immediately down below a band played classics from about 7pm to 12.30am to a crowd of dancing people!

We wandered out to the city to get some dinner then came back to the room about 9.30pm, and sat ourselves at the balcony with a couple of bottles of wine, to watch the throngs of people head down the road towards flinders street station for the fireworks.

We hadnt thought we would be able to see the fireworks from our room because we thought they would be set off a pontoon down towards Spencer st, so we were content just to watch the crowd of 200,000 fill the streets... but imagine our delight when the fireworks went off behind Flinders St, in direct and amazingly close view!! We have photos that rival professional shots!

And the staff - well they were so amazing too - nothing was ever a problem. We even called for another bottle of Moet at 12.10am (Jan 1st!), and there it was being delivered less than 5 minutes later, by a room service attendant that didnt seem to mind he was missing NYE, just happy to serve us. Wow.

And to add to all this - the room was absolutely lovely. Luxurious decor, rainfall shower (not sure what they are called - but gorgeous!) huge bath with fabulous fixtures, bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

This is a gushing review, but we really can't say enough about the Westin in Melbourne. We'll be booking there again - no doubt about that.

• Liked — Everything! Wish I could afford it all the time!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2004, traveled as a couple