“Lyall doesn't quite measure up” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lyall Hotel and Spa

Lyall Hotel and Spa
Ranked #86 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Newport Beach, California
“Lyall doesn't quite measure up”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2006

I had read so much about the Lyall, I was expecting to be bowled over. It is a nice place, but probably did not meet my expectations. The idea of a two bedroom apartment really appealed to me, but these apartments are on the small side, so there really wasn't a lot of privacy. We had booked a room with a "rooftop balcony" and that amounted to a small balcony totally consumed by a table and two chairs - not at all what I had pictured.

The Lyall is a very cozy, personal hotel. It seemed fairly empty for at least part of our stay, and it felt a little too quiet to me. But the staff was very gracious, I must say. There is a small breakfast room/bar in the lobby. We used the restaurant next door for breakfast, which was excellent, but expensive. There is free use of internet on a computer in the hotel's "business centre", and that was very much appreciated.

I was disappointed in the neighborhood surrounding the Lyall. It is fairly convenient to downtown Melbourne, with the South Yarra rail station just down Toorak Road a few blocks - takes only about ten minutes to Melbourne CBD. But Toorak Road itself really has little to interest a visitor - a few restaurants, and the rest given over to banks and estate agents. You can walk to Chapel Street for some more action, but it is a bit of a hike. We did enjoy the nice residential feel in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, however.

I would go back to the hotel, but would probably prefer to try something else in Melbourne CBD next time around. For this price, the Lyall should be a bit better.

Stayed September 2006
2 Thank kingsroadgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2006

I stayed at the Lyall in September 2005, after taking my mother and young brother to Melbourne to see the Lion King for a treat.
We stayed in a two bedroom suite. I did a lot of research before booking because this was part of a special holiday for my mother where i also took her to the Sunshine Coast.

I must say I found the Lyall Hotel disappointing, i have stayed in a lot of five-star hotels for work and a lot of boutique hotels for holidays and so maybe my expectations were very high but it was a let down. THe staff werent very helpful in arranging taxis or storing luggage, and I just didnt get a very welcome feeling. The room was good but nothing spectacular.

Given the price i was paying for a two-bedroom suite i would have been better staying at the Westin or Park Hyatt (which i have before and enjoyed). My friends rave about the Prince hotel in melbourne and i think i will stay there next time.

The breakfast at the Lyall was great though1

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank vicbatch
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2006

I stayed here for 4 nights in April 2006. After ariving from LA, and driving on the "wrong side" of the road from MEL, this hotel was a welcome oasis. A two-bedroom suite with everything a business traveler would need (free Wi-fi was the best). And, the patio area outside the room was a nice change from the recirculated airplane air.

The staff was very helpful and attentive, even securing dinner reservations for my colleague and I to try some kangaroo steaks at a place around the corner. They went above and beyond the call of duty to help this Yankee feel at home, even calling me by name by the second morning.

South Yara is a unique neighborhood, and the location is great to get the tram into downtown Melbourne. The staff even provided umbrellas when a fall rain shower kicked up on my last afternoon in town.

• Liked — Hotel staff, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mcoxpharmd
Ridgewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2006

Arriving at the Lyall after a 60 hour journey from a blizzard stricken New York was like Nirvana. My wife and three small children found the two bedroom suite very comfortable. The kids had their own bathroom with a TV suspended from the ceiling. South Yarra is a very nice neighborhood. The hotel staff was friendly and available. When my wife left all her jewelry un-secured in the room, we called the hotel and the staff put it in the safe for us. The spa was great and the kitchen in the room very handy.

The bar area was very elegant and they have nice outdoor seating. The original artwork in the common areas elevates the character of the hotel.

I liked this hotel because it was small and I got the feeling that we found a very special spot in Melbourne. I have The Lyall's number programmed into my cell phone. It is my unofficial home in Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2006
6 Thank jrusso0667
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2006

We stayed here with a total of 10 family members during the Australian Open and all agreed that the service was exceptional. From dinner reservations to wine tours to retrieving a watch that was left at a golf course across town--they always found a way to accommodate our requests.

The rooms are very comfortable and the location has a great neighborhood feel. If you prefer to "live like a local" when you travel this is a great spot.

PS: the Sushi restaurant across the street, Jambon, is a must-try if you enjoy sushi. It's truly a culinary experience.

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2005

My wife and I stayed in one of the two bedroom suites. While Toorak Road was a little disappointing (everything closes at 5 pm and gets a little dark and scary after that) the location was great for catching either the tram or train into the inner city.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were like serviced apartments with a washer/dryer which was very helpful at the end of a long trip. Did not try the spa. Felt very "homey" generally.

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank thegunk
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2005

The Lyall is a small, intimate, stylish weekend retreat. It is in South Yarra, a 'smart' area of Melbourne, surrounded by good shopping & 10 minutes walk to the beautiful Botanic Gardens & 30 minutes walk to the National Galleries of Victoria.
We had a one bedroom deluxe suite, which had a large L-shape sofa in the sitting room, small dining table & 2 chairs & a really well equipped kitchen. It would be perfect if you were staying for a week, as they have a wonderful 'pantry service' where you can order groceries & have them delivered to your room. There is a small oven, toaster, hob, microwave, washing machine / dryer & large fridge - which even came stocked with cheese & biscuits! Lemons & apples in a fruit bowl were a good touch, & the lemons very handy for a G&T!
Large bathroom in neutral colours, shower with waterfall head as well as normal wall mounted spray, plus bath. Comfortable bedroom. Small balcony with a small table & chairs so we could have had breakfast on our balcony in the sun.
We instead opted for breakfast downstairs, & it was a terrific breakfast. The best freshly squeezed orange juice, great menu.
The spa deserves a special mention - I had a wonderful treatment which started off with a 15 minutes steam in a private steam room followed by the Elemis Wellbeing ritual, which was heaven (a combination of 10 different massage techniques). There's also a gym.
The staff were excellent - we didn't know Melbourne very well & they gave us great suggestions for art galleries, restaurants, walks etc. I would highly recommend Circa & Taxi Dining Room for a special dinner.
I would definitely stay at The Lyall again. It was the perfect package for us - quiet location, great staff, good amenities (spa & gym) & great breakfast (served til 1pm).

• Stayed October 2005