“Delightful stay in South Yarra”

Lyall Hotel and Spa
Ranked #95 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Delightful stay in South Yarra”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Lyall Hotel in South Yarra. As a frequent visitor to Melbourne, I chose the Lyall based on its location and easy access to the suburbs as well as to the city. Street parking was readily available. I was pleasantly surprised to stay in a beautifully appointed room with a fully and well equipped kitchenette. A stone's throw away from Chapel Street and surrounded by outstanding coffee shops and restaurants, the Lyall was a perfect choice. The service was impeccable and the staff was helpful.
I shall certainly return to the Lyall as my preferred hotel in Melbourne.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lydias
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Lydia,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Lyall.
It was pleasing to see that you enjoyed your experience at The Lyall for its
convenient location, the service that our staff deliver and our suite style accommodation.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the The Lyall in the near future.
Hotelier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Perth
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Lyall to celebrate my birthday recently and had booked a mystery hotel which turned out to be the Lyall. We were a little apprehensive having read some of the reviews but had a fantastic night in extremely comfortable surroundings. The staff were all very obliging and even though obvious we were on a budget did their upmost to make us welcome. It made a change from some hotels in Perth that say they are 5 star then treat you as if you are just a number or worse.

Stayed March 2014
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Katie,
Thank you so much for writing a review following your Birthday stay at The Lyall.
I am particularly pleased that The Lyall dispelled any apprehension you might have
had prior to your arrival.
It is our aim to provide genuine, caring service to our guests consistently so I'm glad that you
were made to feel welcome and more than just a number. The beauty of a boutique hotel is the personalised experience it can deliver
Once again, Happy Birthday and please do come and stay again.
Rowina
Sydney
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The Lyall is situated in a quiet side street but is right near the station and number 8 tram. We were going to AAMI Park for a concert and could walk easily to the stadium as well as around Chapel St and Sth Yarra generally.

We were ‘upgraded’ to a two bedroom suite upon arrival. Given I was travelling with my wife, I was a little bemused as to why it was an upgrade. Anyway. The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. The small kitchen had everything you could need for a short stay if you wanted to cook a meal in your room or self-cater generally. My only comments that are neutral about the Lyall is that the rooms are just on the cusp of needing a makeover. It’s borderline, but they are just over the use-by date I think. Scratched furniture, stains and the like. It’s really just wear and tear, but it does let the place down.

We had a breakfast in the hotel on the Sunday morning, which was extremely enjoyable. Overall the staff were very friendly efficient and friendly, the hotel was very well appointed, comfortable and, the bottom line, we’d return.

Room Tip: There was building work on the Toorak Rd side that didn’t bother us on the weekend, but it could be...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay.
The Lyall is in a fantastic location to walk to venues while being
in the heart of the Toorak Road and Chapel Street scene.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience at The Lyall
and noted your bemusement of a two bedroom suite upgrade,
just luck on this occasion giving you room to spread out and enjoy
two bathrooms and the second bedroom as a walk in wardrobe.
A display unit has been erected on the Toorak Road side of the hotel
which is almost complete, the noisy part which was not that noisy is all done.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lyall.

Owner
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2014

After an extended stay I am delighted to write this review. I had been using the Lyall from time to time when visiting from interstate and when I moved on business to Melbourne I decided to stay on a permanent basis and agreed a weekly rental. My intention was to initially stay a month or so, but its convenience seduced me into a much longer stay. Whilst the fitout is not "this minute" it is incredibly comfortable. Its atmosphere is small and intimate. Its like staying at a friends place.Many of its guests having been using it for years and treat it as a home away from home. The staff are always helpful and are always prepared to go the extra yard. The location is a huge benefit, being close to Toorak Road and Chappel Street with their extensive retail and dinning facilities as well as proximity to both tram and rail, was something I appreciated. I enjoy walking and the nearby Botanical Gardens and Fawkner Park are wonderful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Neil G
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Mr G,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a complimentary review of your experience at
The Lyall. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your long term stay with us and as you say
many guests do consider The Lyall to be their home away from home when in Melbourne.
On behalf of all the staff, we'd like to wish you well and hope and that you will call in from time
to time for a meal or a drink in The Lyall Champagne Bar or just to say Hello.
Warmest wishes,
Rowina and Peter Thomas
Hoteliers
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2014

actually stayed there for free thanks to melbourne age.
stayed last nite 1 nite only got a 1 bedrrom groundfloor room room 105. had sep kitchen /lounge large bathroom with spa lots of good quality soaps lots of good quality towels . reasonably priced mini bar great bed very comfortable. panoramic views of carpark hey its in the suburbs. anyway also had valet parking greeted by immaculately dressed manager at reception checked in and handed keys over for car . the staff at this hotel were all very profesional and friendly. sometimes at hotels you get a lot of snooty staff . not these guys they are genuine. room has fridge/ stove 3 tvs yes 3. went out for dinner but had a drink in bar when we got home same excellent service. i especially enjoyed breakfast a la carte with italian style croissants/ pastrys/ jams on bar ordered off menu bought out swiftly even if you have to pay for it it was reasonably priced plenty of refills for tea etc and plenty of newspapers. free internet was fast
read a few reviews they mention dirty rooms chipped furniture/ surly staff i thought place was fantastic the staff ARE A CREDIT TO LYALL HOTEL and thanks to paige who organised room for me went out her way to accomadate my numerous requests . if you want a hotel in suburbs away from city this is perfect near railway/ trams chapel st dont forget southyarra has some of the most overprice restuarants in melbourne and lots of hipster dudes

Room Tip: lots of rooms on ground floor no waiting for lifts
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Mr Belvede,
First of all let me congratulate you on winning The Age Reader's prize.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor,
I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your experience at
The Lyall.
Thank you for commenting on inclusions in the suites,
we have tried to cover everything, including a TV in the bathroom of
our Super Deluxe and Grand Suites.
We are proud of our staff and thank you for complimenting them for
their genuine service.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Lyall
on a mini break in Melbourne.
Once again, thank you for your generous review, the pleasure was ours.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Have been dying to stay at the lyall but very disappointing. Foyers look nice, but rooms are more like a service apartment, definitely not 5 star more like 4. Internet is ridiculously slow, so much so I had to switch to my hotspot. Furniture is chipped and beds are not luxurious at all, really average. The rooms need a serious upgrade and all the furniture is old and chipped. Definitely needs a renovation and new furniture and much better beds. Beds felt old. and Pillows were very hard despite offering a pillow menu. I am not usually one to complain but I wont be back again. Very sad as the rates aren't cheap.

Room Tip: Suites aren't big for a 1 bedroom
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay.
I regret that you were disappointed with your experience
after looking forward to staying.
Did you comment on the wifi to our staff? It usually works
very well throughout the whole hotel.
We are in the process of upgrading our carpets and curtains
in the suites but will look into the "chipped furniture". We are
also going to replace our beds because we'd like to do that
for our guests, though it is before time and most guests love
our beds. We do have blankets instead of duvets
(duvets on request) which maybe felt a little different.
I would be happy to discuss this with you further if you
would like to contact me by phone.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2014

It's a great location and very good service however the hotel rooms and facilities are far from 5 star. Suites were old full of old furniture. old and broken irons and iron boards, unsealed shower doors therefore the small bathroom will be drenched with water. top shower head does not work, dirty carpet and the list continues. balcony sliding doors do not shut properly. we were very disappointed given we paid based on 5 star accommodation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay.
I am in complete agreement with your sentiments
if this is what you experienced.
I would like to be able to follow up with the concerns
you had and as I can't trace your reservation, would you mind
contacting me by phone at the hotel to discuss
this further.