Lyall Hotel and Spa
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$134
$124
  • Restaurant
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$201
$125
Hotels.com
$126
$117
  • Room Service
Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$93
  • Free Internet
$92
$88
  • Bar/Lounge
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$158
$83
$80
  • Fitness center
Art Series - The Blackman(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$170
Hotels.com
$230
$185
  • Pool
All reviewssouth yarratoorak roadboutique hotelgrand suitejelly beansluxury escapeshome away from homewashing machinesmall hotelbotanic gardenschapel streetgreat boutiqueseparate bedroomquiet streetpillow menusmall kitchenclose to shops
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Yes, it's a beautifully appointed hotel in many respects. But it should be for the prices they are charging. The room was nice enough but rather small in my view for what is after all a suburban location and top price bracket. However the general quality of service was just not up to the standard required of a hotel with such aspirations. Check in was a surly affair with little in the way of attention to detail. There was basically no interaction from the staff during our two night stay in the way you would normally expect - several times when we returned to the hotel there seemed to be no one about at all, which made getting the room key tricky. Check out was frustrating, with staff more interested in answering the phone than dealing with us. Sort out the service to maintain your reputation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nuthatch_birder
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
Your comments regarding service are taken seriously and reviewed
with the staff concerned. As you chose to stay at The Lyall, you are
aware that this was not the usual standard and for this I apologise.
As in London, an out of city centre location does not equate to a
lower room rate, South Yarra is a premium Melbourne location surrounded
by some of Australia's most expensive commercial and residential real estate.
Our rooms which are all suites are probably the largest in Melbourne with
a minimum size of 50sq mtrs.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back so that you experience
true Lyall Style.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at The Lyall for the second time recently and cannot think of a better place to stay during any upcoming visits to Melbourne. The style and comfort levels are unequaled in such a small hotel and it is perfectly located as a base for exploring Melbourne. Our suite was complete with a great small kitchen,large refrigerator and washer dryer. The free wi- fi is a great addition and our room was light and complete with a small balcony. The Lyall staff were always courteous and very helpful and the small cosy dining area gave us the feeling of a top European small hotel and served a delicious breakfast.
Looking forward to our next visit!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Peter C,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay at The Lyall.
Your comment that if felt like a small European hotel was interesting
as that is where we drew our inspiration from. There are very few hotels
in Australian cities that offer the same intimate ambience as found in Europe.
Thank you also for your kind comments on our staff, the comfort of the hotel
and its location. We have a great staff who are genuinely here to please
and it inspires them when good feedback is received.
Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the
near future.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Every time I stay at the Lyall it feels like coming home. The staff are all so warm, friendly and accommodating. As a repeat guest staying at least twice a year I am always confident that my experience will be of the highest standard. The rooms are comfortable, clean and smartly decorated & fitted out. They are well serviced daily and I have to say I have always found my room to be kept at an exceptional standard. I'm very surprised to read the recent negative review as over the years I have only ever seen other people staying at the hotel to be treated in the same manner as I have. I've gotta say, I refer a lot of people to the Lyall and they always come back with really strong and positive 'Thank You's'. . . .
Truly, the staff are always there to accommodate any needs and help in any way they can, over the years they have given me great advice on where to eat and where to go while in Melbourne.

I'll be back again in June & look forward to it! Thanks again for a great stay - too short as always.

I guess sometimes you need to read between the lines - some people just can't be pleased!

Room Tip: I love the fourth floor corner suites as they are light and airy & give me a feeling of connecting with the nature outside, especially the ones on the front.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Vagabond8888,
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experiences of The Lyall
and thank you for your many guest referrals.
A large proportion of our guests are referred through other guests
who have also enjoyed their experiences.
It is always our aim to exceed expectations and deliver a level of
service in all areas of the hotel that is not just professional but
genuine and warm.
As the only owner/operators of a 5 star hotel in Melbourne we are
hands on with our team striving for excellence and take all reviews
and constructive critisism very seriously.
Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back
to The Lyall in June.

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

The owners of this hotel seem oblivious and in denial as to the real state of it. Dust fills the air vent in the shower and drops down on you. Both mirrors were damaged, one dangerously sharp edged. The washing machine was broken and full of stagnant stinking water. The coffee machine didn't work. The walls were covered in marks. The carpet in my room and throughout the hotel was covered in stains. The picture frame in the bedroom was damaged. There was no hot water on my last night and when it came back on it was filthy and black. The corridors were constantly full of discarded room service trays, many left there for 24hrs. Despite my complaints both verbal and by e mail during my stay virtually nothing was done to correct any of this. The Lyall likes to describe itself as a luxury boutique hotel. The real luxury is leaving it.

• Stayed: March 2013
11  Thank stargazeypie
Reviewed March 11, 2013

After staying here on our wedding night and also recommending this hotel to our guests who travelled from interstate, we were completely shocked by the treatment we recieved.
Firstly upon checking out I was charged for another persons stay on top of my own as apparently they were a 'no show' for one of the nights which was booked. This was surprising as it was later confirmed by this quest that he discuss on two occasions with staff that he only attending for one night.
The staff on the front desk were completely rude about the situation stating it 'was what they were instructed to do'. What a great way to treat a bride who has just recommended this hotel to all the majority of family and friends flying into Melbourne!!
I then asked for the charges to be reversed - which they completely stuffed up also, and I am now $1800 overcharged with my refund apparently returning to my acount in 7 days!!
I told the staff we were needing this money as we were heading on our honeymoon within the next 48hours to which i was told 'there was nothing they could do' and then moved me aside to serve the next four customers and told me they were 'busy'.
Still waiting on my refund and feel completely upset by the way I was not only treated but spoken too. Simply unprofessional and its now realised I should have stayed somewhere else.

7  Thank Karla L
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Tripadvisor, I originally sent this response 15th March for some reason you have not posted it,
It is very important that viewers see my response to this.

Dear Karla,

We appreciate that you chose The Lyall for your wedding weekend and certainly
understand the importance of such a decision.

In response to your comments:

When the original bookings for yourself, family and friends were made,
you advised that each party would contact the hotel to confirm their reservation.
There was one guest who didn't call so we emailed you again prior to your wedding weekend, to which we had no response.
We held the suite in good faith.
Usually a hotel would cancel.
The guest did not show on the first night booked so we charged your account only
because the hotel was fully booked. He did show up on the second night, luckily we had held the room. In fairness, if we had not been looking after your interests and cancelled the room you would have been very upset if he turned up to find no booking or available room.

Until check-out you were not aware of that extra night room charge.

Our mistake was made when a trainee receptionist charged your card before first handing you a copy of your account for approval.

On viewing your account, you disapproved the extra night charge at which point we agreed to remove the charge so as not to upset your weekend.
We then reduced your balance and put the lower charge through again with the aim of cancelling the first charge. We were unable to get the first charge deleted quickly because it was a long weekend. The receptionist that you referred to as dealing with the other clients was being professional and efficient while at the same time contacting the bank on a long weekend to try to expedite a fast transaction.
In hind sight a cash refund would have been the more satisfactory solution.

The receptionist and trainee apologised profusely at the time as well as the
receptionist from the next shift. Our Reservations Manager also emailed you after checkout to further apologise but not wanting to disturb you on your honeymoon.

As we have expressed from the moment this inconvenience happened, we
apologise and hope that you have been able to have an enjoyable honeymoon.
We are always very generous in our approach and care to guests and in your case a gift of French Champagne in your suite on arrival to set the tone for a happy and memorable wedding weekend as was our intention for your entire experience.

On a positive note, your family and friends commented to reception staff
that they enjoyed their stays and had enjoyable experiences.