“Excellent, centre city accommodation”

Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #47 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed April 15, 2010

We booked a "secret deal' with last minute.com and found we were staying at the Stamford Plaza in Little Collins Street. It was excellent. We had a small apartment with a city view and it had everything we needed. Small well fitted kitchen and bedroom was small but quite adequate. it was quiet inspite of the location. I liked that they offered you a no-service discount on the restaurant every day. (if you opted not to have the room serviced they left you a voucher for the restaurant downstairs - Harry's). We did not swim in the pool but it looked OK if small. The staff were very very helpfull. They could not do enough for you, from the doorman, the reception, the housekeeper when i could not work the TV, the concierge. It made our 4 night stay a pleasure - and the location is superb to enjoy the city centre.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 11, 2010

I had two nights in Melbourne over the Easter weekend and was most impressed with this hotel. Great room and amenities (everything we needed) beautiful looking hotel. Such a great location for getting around Melbourne. My mother and I walked to St. Patricks Cathedral on Easter Sunday, had afternoon tea at the windsor and then attended Jersey Boys at the Princess Theatre that evening. Great stay. Great to come and go from the hotel in between events as it is so close to everything.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank KTScarlett
Reviewed April 11, 2010

To me the Stamford plaza in Melbourne is an ok and I tend to like it because of good rates and large rooms, probably stayed 5 times in the last 6 months. However as many other people have stated the rooms are dated and the TV very small in a strange location and old fashion, I however don’t tend to watch the TV when in town. The other thing is the rooms are fairly dark and no real lights in the ceiling so you go by just lamp light, which are not that bright. In my view it is definitely not a 5 star hotel, but I have always found the service to have been good. The one other thing which is just great is that every time I have stayed there I have been in a room it has a full kitchen so if I am in town more than 2 days it is just magic, also compared to some of the city apartment providers the rooms are significantly quieter.

The one thing that does make me stay in other hotels probably 70% of the time, usually the Sofitel or Crown Promenade is the temperature control is just awful, on just about every stay I have had trouble with the cooling system (I like a room to be cold).

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2010

My partner and I stayed at the motel for 3 nights and were unsatisfied as we expected more from a 5 star hotel.
The room was not cleaned properly as there were stains on the lounge and chocolate marks all over the lamp,the shower pressure was not strong and brown dirty water ran out when first turned on which also happened the 2nd day of our stay.A drinking glass was chipped,the bed was extremely uncomfortable which resulted in no sleep,We jumped out of bed in the morning to find we had been bitten all over.
The tv was old and had bad reception.The photo on the website shows a flatscreen TV on the wall and in the room we stayed in had an old box tv built in under the kitchen bench.
The smoke alarm started to beep at 1am the first night to which the battery needed changing we called front desk they came to take the battery out and said it would be replaced the next day to which it never was.
There was no ceiling light in the bedroom only bedside lamps.
We booked a smoking room and it was almost impossible to open the balcony doors to get fresh air as there were no windows and there was a study desk placed infront of it which also made it nearly impossible for the other person to get into bed.
On the upside the location was good and the bell boys service was excellent although the front desk reception was very cold and uninviting.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2010

My partner and i stayed in the 'penthouse' suite for $700.00 for 1 night on the weekend and we were very dissapoint.
We informed the duty manager we were not happy with the room, and the response was ' you dont have to stay here but you cant have your money back'
On the website it shows a picture of what the 'penthouse' is, but this picture is VERY misleading because our room looked nothing like it!!!
We had one small dirty couch,'sticky stuff' on the walls, the light globes did not work upon arrival, there was no simple directions on how to make a call to reception so i had to use my mobile, box tvs with 2 channels not working and 1 tv did not ork u pon arrival etc.
The penthouse is discribed as having a large living area when really its quite the opposite.
The 'balcony' is not a balcony; it is long but very small in width, with a lot of big poles sticking out, no lights, no chairs or tabels.
The 'penthouse' suite should not be called a 'penthouse' ; its more of a small old style apartment worth no more than $150.00.
I would definitely not stay at this hotel agian nor would i recommend the 'penthouse' suite!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Krist21
1602, Guy Challis - General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2010

This guest has been contacted by the Hotel and we have come to an amicable agreement.

Reviewed March 30, 2010

We stayed at this hotel almost right after spending 3 gorgeous days at the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney. That might have skewed our assessment of this hotel a little bit. I think one expects more from a 5-star hotel with a price tag like what these guys have. Overall our stay was comfortable and fairly uneventful... so that's good. One of the best things about the hotel is its location. But the room we had was mediocre at best. It had an old small TV with bad picture quality lurking from a slot below the eye level and midway between the bed and the couch (so you'd have an angled vision always), a pretty small bathroom, and the view out of the window blocked by a tall building next door. The room badly needed a makeover. I actually mentioned this in my comments for the hotel management while leaving, and to their credit, the hotel manager later sent me an email apologizing for our experience and explaining that they were in the process of renovating most of the rooms in the hotel. Well, that's nice to know... but then you shouldn't be charging the same rate for the rooms yet to be renovated!

The concierge was great... very knowledgeable and friendly. But I found the front desk staff to be pretty cold. The business center was not that great... the printer had problems, and I had problems entering the business center with my card key (I had to go back to the front desk to get it resolved).

Overall, I think the hotel is overpriced for what it offers. With renovated rooms and friendlier staff, they might become better though...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

We have commenced our rooms refurbishment, including flatscreens and a HD solution into our bedrooms and lounge areas, new furnishings and more lighting.

Reviewed March 18, 2010

While this is a decent hotel, I don't believe it's quite up to 5 star quality. We stayed on the 11th floor of the main building in a studio queen room. The room feels old and this is emphasized by the small old style TV which is mounted very low beneath the kitchen bench. The room was showing obvious signs of wear and tear and the bathroom in particular needed some attention. Bathrobes were old, very worn and not appealing to use at all. Service from the front desk was not particularly warm and friendly, and the same can be said about some of the bell boys who seemed more interested in going about their own thing instead of assisting guests. On the positive side, the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. Some renovation and service training for staff would make this a true 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple