I stayed at the Stamford Plaza for approximately 3 weeks from the end of June 2009 - early July 2009. The hotel rates itself as a 5 star, and although it is a good place to stay, it really doesn't rank up there with what we think a 5-star should be.
Nonetheless, I would recommend this place to anyone. Good rate for what you get. The 'good stuff': Jacuzzi tubs, small kitchen w/2 burners, dishwasher, microwave, cutlery, dishes, etc., FREE laundry room facilities (but you have to supply your own soap or buy it from the concierge). If you plan on cooking (food is expensive in Australia!!), then ask Housekeeping for a 'cooking kit'. They will deliver a plastic bin to your room (for FREE). It contains a colander, pots, pans, cooking utensils, bowls, sharp knives, etc., Bedroom is a good size with a separate room for the living room, dining area and kitchenette. Great for long stays since you feel like you are in an apartment. Staff is very helpful. Hint: If you want a FREE daily newspaper, you will have to request delivery from the concierge.
The 'not so good stuff': SMALL closet (and I mean SMALL) which is already taken up all of the room in it with a 3 drawer chest, the iron, and ironing board. You have to remove everything in order to hang your clothes. I went out and bought some over-the-door hangers just to hang some clothes.
Lighting IN the room is great, but you get virtually NO natural light - at least with my room facing the alleyway. (albeit a nice alleyway)
SMALL bathroom counter space - virtually very little.
The biggest thing of all is that if you are business traveler like me, the interent connection is set up at the dining table and the chairs are regular dining chairs that are quite hard and uncomfortable. You are better off connecting to their wireless service so you can sit where you want. They have a desk in the bedroom, but there is are no outlets near the desk. Not great if you want to work in your room, but you can get around it somewhat.
Maids need to dust more.........may have just been the (male) maid that I had, but my co-worker also said her room got dusty after being there 2 weeks....so not sure if they just don't dust while you are there??? Hmmm, so what do you call a male maid - still a maid...such things to ponder. :)
Anyway, overall - good hotel to stay at, in a good area w/ a lot of restaurants and things happening around the area. You are 1 to 2 blocks away from Chinatown.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stamford Plaza Melbourne is a leading 5 Star Melbourne CBD hotel with 282 suites and 26 brand new superior rooms.Located at the "Paris" end of Little Collins Street, Stamford Plaza Melbourne is the ideal choice for guests looking for quality accommodation in Melbourne's central business district. Set amongst theatres, renowned restaurants, fashion boutiques and Melbourne's finest attractions, guests can relax in the boutique surroundings whilst immersing themselves in the city's vibrant culture. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from Flinders Street station and Federation Square and a 25 minute drive from Tullamarine Airport. Your home away from home, the hotel's elegantly appointed 283 suites are a sanctuary with a luxurious sense of space and comfort. Each suite contains a kitchen with cooking facilities, spacious lounge and dining areas and separate bedroom/s with bath spa en-suite. Guests can enjoy the pool facility featuring sleek furnishings, a hydration station, spa and sauna facilities, and a well equipped gym with cardiovascular and weight training equipment. Services such as 24-hour reception, Concierge and room service, valet car parking and laundry, ensure a relaxing and fuss free stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Stamford Plaza Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stamford Plaza Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Stamford Plaza Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Stamford Plaza Hotel