“Good Hotel for the Money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #37 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Atlanta GA
“Good Hotel for the Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

I stayed at the Stamford Plaza for approximately 3 weeks from the end of June 2009 - early July 2009. The hotel rates itself as a 5 star, and although it is a good place to stay, it really doesn't rank up there with what we think a 5-star should be.

Nonetheless, I would recommend this place to anyone. Good rate for what you get. The 'good stuff': Jacuzzi tubs, small kitchen w/2 burners, dishwasher, microwave, cutlery, dishes, etc., FREE laundry room facilities (but you have to supply your own soap or buy it from the concierge). If you plan on cooking (food is expensive in Australia!!), then ask Housekeeping for a 'cooking kit'. They will deliver a plastic bin to your room (for FREE). It contains a colander, pots, pans, cooking utensils, bowls, sharp knives, etc., Bedroom is a good size with a separate room for the living room, dining area and kitchenette. Great for long stays since you feel like you are in an apartment. Staff is very helpful. Hint: If you want a FREE daily newspaper, you will have to request delivery from the concierge.

The 'not so good stuff': SMALL closet (and I mean SMALL) which is already taken up all of the room in it with a 3 drawer chest, the iron, and ironing board. You have to remove everything in order to hang your clothes. I went out and bought some over-the-door hangers just to hang some clothes.

Lighting IN the room is great, but you get virtually NO natural light - at least with my room facing the alleyway. (albeit a nice alleyway)

SMALL bathroom counter space - virtually very little.

The biggest thing of all is that if you are business traveler like me, the interent connection is set up at the dining table and the chairs are regular dining chairs that are quite hard and uncomfortable. You are better off connecting to their wireless service so you can sit where you want. They have a desk in the bedroom, but there is are no outlets near the desk. Not great if you want to work in your room, but you can get around it somewhat.

Maids need to dust more.........may have just been the (male) maid that I had, but my co-worker also said her room got dusty after being there 2 weeks....so not sure if they just don't dust while you are there??? Hmmm, so what do you call a male maid - still a maid...such things to ponder. :)

Anyway, overall - good hotel to stay at, in a good area w/ a lot of restaurants and things happening around the area. You are 1 to 2 blocks away from Chinatown.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Korean first
NSW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

My partner and I went here for a weekend in Melbourne. We stayed three nights. This Hotel is not a five star hotel, don't be fooled by the glossy photo's as I was, of the rooms. It's not luxurious and I think this is a vital part of a lot of peoples five star Hotel experience. At best it is a four star Hotel, so don't stay here and think you can walk around like a Roman Emperor in your Hotel supplied robe smelling the flowers in your room and gazing down the street with a good view after the most magic relaxing shower you have ever had, having dorned yourself with ten different bathroom products, (no robes supplied anyway). As others have said in reviews of this Hotel the rooms are very dated, the bath in ours was a very old Jacuzzi style 70,s number, that off-yellow look in a very small dark bathroom. I ventured to the shower to find a single dark long black hair in the bath, it just puts you off. Room itself was always dark, but the place generally reeks of age and the number of people that have stayed there, well overdue for total renovation. One other notable head shaking event was the "pot of tea" which was a $7.50 pot of hot water and two miserable tea bags which you have in your room anyway! Not a place for romantic weekends, I found myself becoming a Philosopher taming my growing anger, but this place could serve well for the boys out for a cheaper weekend. Staff were fine but don't expect yes sir no sir, let me help you with your bag sir, I would describe the concierge as a nervous ghost.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Canberra
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

I've stayed at the Stamford a number of times over the years, mainly for its great location. I do think its now well and truly reached its expiry date in its current state. Its supposed to be a 5-star hotel, but I liken the rooms to your run of the mill 3-star hotel - the room looks dated, the bathroom is from the 70s, the TV is embarrasingly small, doesn't get good reception and is in a ridiculous position (yet they still charge a fortune for movies)...and so on. Moving to the rest of the hotel, the two mini gyms are outdone by most people's home gyms - the treadmill feels like its going to break (one of them didn't work anyway) and equipment is very limited and old.
Looking through the comment replies, the Stamford people say a refurbishment is on the way - well a lot of time has passed and we're still waiting!
Personally don't think I'd stay here again, the hotel is just too old and flimsy to justify the price.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
New South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Stamford Plaza in the West Wing for 4 nights in May. I am fussy, so will give an honest opinion of what we thought.
The room was great, spacious, clean and well appointed. It was a little dated but in excellent order with very little wear and tear to furnishings. The bathroom was in good order, no mould to be seen. The kitchenette was well stocked with plates, cutlery, enough for two of us. I rang for ice to be delivered to our room which was delivered very efficiently, as were the extra pillows.
The beauty of the Stamford rooms is the layout, accommodating a small lounge area with a separated bedroom. We entertained friends in our lounge which comfortably held 6 of us.
The Stamford's position is very convenient to everything in the city, especially Chinatown - if you go, eat at the 'Sticky Fish' - fantastic food, very reasonable.
We ate at the buffet breakfast for two of the mornings. The first morning was very nice. However, the second morning there was a different chef cooking who was not as good a cook..
Our only major complaint would be the small, older television - it would have been great to have a larger flatscreen.
We would definitely stay at the Stamford again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Gisborne, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

My husband and I, along with another couple, stayed in the hotel for 5 nights. We had a wonderful time. The service was wonderful - every request we made was sorted quickly and efficiently from requests for extra milk to how to get to places of interest.
We were greeted on arrival and were surprised to find a lovely bottle of bubbly in our rooms to recognise the reason for our stay - the celebration of a very special wedding anniversary.
The breakfast at Harry's was lavish - the staff were very accommodating; the service great and the food delicious.
The rooms were a bit dated but clean and well appointed. Our only concerns were that the TV was small and not able to be seen from the bedroom (nice to watch TV in bed when on holiday!!) and the lights were a bit dim for reading.
Overall though a wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

I stayed at the Stamford plaza with my husband and when booking, I neglected to ask for a re-furbished room. We were placed in the main tower (ie: the older area). It's true that the hotel is very dated but it does the job. I would describe it as cosy but still spacious. I was disappointed that there is such a small TV in such an awkward position (you cannot see the TV from the bed). The kitchenette was nice and although we did not use it, it would be very handy for those staying for more than a night or two.

The decor is not modern but is still reasonably comfortable and the room was clean. I was a little disappointed to see such an old spa bath in the bathroom, but it worked reasonably well. I am, however, always disappointed when a hotel bathroom does not have an adequate fan, and this did not so having a shower produced a lot of steam that went nowhere.

The breakfast buffet was delicious and I enjoyed this very much. An excellent array of hot and cold foods. This was included in our package so I'm not sure how much it is normally. The only problem was the fact we had to keep hunting down the waiter for more coffee.

My parents stayed here also but asked for a refurbished room and my mother said it was "amazing" so I'm not sure how much better those rooms are.
Next time, I will probably stay somewhere closer to the action and possibly somewhere a little more modern.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VolcanoCandy
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

The Hotel is a little old but its warm and friendly staff makes all the difference. having stayed in most of the hotels in Melbourne i feel at Home in Stamford plaza Melbourne.
They always make me feel so special. The food and service is great.
The restaurant and bar staff are so well trained and motivated.
Harry's restaurant has become my favourite dining place in CBD.
Would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business