“Wedding night delight”

Ranked #38 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Traralgon South, Victoria, Australia
“Wedding night delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I had booked a room for our wedding night at the Stamford, after walking past it most days and checking reviews. On the off chance, I went in and asked if they could upgrade the room, as it was a special occasion. Joseph on the receptionist desk was only too glad to help. The room itself was amazing and well worth upgrading to. The view from the balcony was amazing and the room itself had pretty much everything you could want. My bride and myself had a wonderful stay and it was just a shame we couldn't have stayed another night. We'll definately be booking into the Stamford Plaza in the future.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear RickAndrsn,
Congratulations on your recent Wedding and thank you for choosing to stay at Stamford Plaza Melbourne. We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service to our guests and always strive to exceed their expectation and we’re delighted to have provided you with a such a memorable stay on this very special occasion. We wish you all the very best for a long and happy life together and it would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you both again - perhaps on your first wedding anniversary !

Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Korean first
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Booked and paid through booking.com for a standard twin room for 5 nights. When I arrived at check-in, reception recommended that we 'upgrade' to a studio apartment which would be more spacious for $100. She said that the bed would be split right away when our bags arrived at the room. We headed straight out for dinner and a few drinks only to return hours later and find that the bed had not been split.

My other complaint would be the standard of the house-keeping services. The floors were not vacuumed during our stay of 5 days and our beds were not made-just the bedspread pulled up.For over $300 a night this is not acceptable. Also very noisy at night but this is to be expected I guess in the CBD.

Concierge were very helpful though and couldn't do enough to help with taxis and directions etc.

On check-out reception didn't ask how we enjoyed our stay so I wanted to provide some feedback since their other hotels are above and beyond this one.

Best things about Stamford Plaza Melbourne are - concierge and proximity to Burma Lane restaurant across the road! Wouldn't stay here again though.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear 123skc,
I am very disappointed that we have fallen short in our service delivery on this occasion and sincerely apologise for the impact this had on your stay. I would like to assure that this is not the standard to be expected from this hotel and the appropriate follow up has been made with our Housekeeping Department. On a more positive note, thank you for highlighting the fantastic service provided by our Concierge team, they are truly dedicated to ensuring our guests experience the best of Melbourne and I know they will really appreciate your comments. Whilst unfortunately I can not alter the outcome of your recent experience, I would be very grateful for the opportunity to show that we are indeed capable of exceeding your expectations in all areas. Should you reconsider a return stay to Stamford Plaza Melbourne I would be delighted to be your direct point of contact for your arrangements. Please feel free to contact me on lilianroger@spm.stamford.com.au or 03 9659 1000 so I may assist from the onset.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

After three stays I cannot fault the Stamford Plaza. There is always a warm welcome from a helpful Concierge, check in is fast and the rooms quiet and comfortable in an olde world kind of way. The one bedroom apartment is spacious and good to come back to after a long day of work. Everything is clean and the desk area well appointed. I haven't eaten at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear ausbirdlover,
We’re very proud to offer a style of accommodation which can be enjoyed by both business and leisure travelers. Thank you for your well rounded review and your positive endorsement. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay soon and if you have the opportunity to dine with us next time – may I suggest one of our Magnificent 7 burgers..they are truly Irresistible.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

I have been staying at the Stamford on and off for 10 years as it is one of my works preferred hotels in Melbourne. The hotel bills their rooms as suites and all have a sitting area, kitchenette and sleeping area. The room I was in had an adequate sitting area and kitchenette however when travelling for 1 night for business, this isn't really necessary.

The room had 2 beds which were somewhere between a single and double in size. The bed area was so small one of the beds blocked access to the window. Based on previous stays in other rooms this was a odd sized and shaped room so why make it worse with two beds. A queen bed would have eliminated the issue, given me some room for my bags and made for a much more comfortable sleep (the bed was way too small for me, my feet were hanging over edge and whilst not short at 183 cm tall....I am not a giant).

As a solo traveller not sure why put in a room with two beds but have had this experience with other Stamford properties when travelling on corporate rate. I think it is the worst room and this is what this brand seems to do when on corporate rate. Fortunately I have a choice of hotels and will not choose the Stamford again as other hotels seem to be able to provide a comfortable room with queen or king sized bed for solo traveller on corporate rate.

Another very uncomfortable aspect is by the door of the room there is a little unit like an alarm where you can select do not disturb etc. This little digital box had a blue fluro light the size of a mobile phone screen and guess what when you turn out the lights to go the sleep....lights up the whole room.

The Stamford is dated and tired in decor, it hasn't been updated in the time I have been staying there and could be best described as looking like set of Young & Restless circa 1995. This seems to be a hallmark of the Stamford brand as very similar in their Adelaide property as well.

This does impact experience as tiles in bathroom are cracked, there were stains on the bathub and generally place feels run down.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear DC1977,
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate your constructive comments and we will certainly use them as a basis for improvement. The comfort of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and I apologise that your room was not to your liking on this occasion. If we have another opportunity to accommodate you, please contact me directly on 9659 1178 or lilianroger@spm.stamford.com.au as I would be delighted to assist in allocating you a room which covers all of your requests.
Kind Regard,
Penrith, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

For a 5 star hotel and the money we paid this was very disappointing. The rooms are very dated and when we checked in, we found an old packet of mouldy soup in the fridge. Although the staff were very nice, the overall quality was relatively low. Would also not recommend the buffet breakfast.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Olivia H,

I am sorry to note that your stay did not meet your expectations in all areas and appreciate your feedback. I apologise for the shortfall noted with the servicing of your mini bar and am very grateful that you have brought this to my attention. This is not the standard to be expected from this hotel and your feedback has allowed us to make the appropriate follow up including further training to avoid a repeat. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again so we may show that we are indeed capable of exceeding your expectation in all areas.
Whakatane, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

We had a pleasant enough stay here. Heard on the grapevine that some refurbishment was due to take place in and around Harry's restaurant and bar. I think this could easily be re-designed to allow for more seating and perhaps improve the many various levels which must be difficult for some.Our room was well equipped and even had a little kitchenette- you could have delivered a utensils kit if you wanted pots etc.Didn't fancy the evening dinner menu too much personally but that was no prob because you are central to many restaurant choices. It was a convenient location for theatre and shops. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We were street frontage and no more noise than you would expect in a city- probably quieter than man...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear OldDeuteronomy2014,

Thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience at Stamford Plaza Melbourne.
We get lots of great comments about our location; it really is a great spot for taking advantage of all that Melbourne has to offer. I am pleased that the facilities of our suites, including the kitchenette, were to your liking and allowed for both comfort and convenience. Your recommendation is much appreciated and we hope to welcome you again when you next visit Melbourne.

Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

I stayed 20 nights consecutively. Paid for an extra night so that I could check in in the morning when I came in. However, they still found it in themselves to want to charge me AUD 70 to check out at 2pm instead of their standard check out time. I proceeded to check out at 8am before I left for office.

Have already mention told a number of people and am sure they will be amending their travel plans. Will also try to get this hotel struck off from the panel list of hotel for the company. Well done.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank EricGTB
Dear EricGTB,
We aim to provide a service that is exceptional in every sense and I am very disappointed to read of the lasting impression of your stay. I would be very grateful for the opportunity to restore your confidence in our property. If you are returning to Melbourne I would be delighted if you contacted me directly so I may personally look after your arrangements and show that we are capable of providing the 5 star experience you should expect from a Stamford Hotel.