“Great hotel but some bathrooms are not”

Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #44 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hotel staff were polite enough, were told where to find our room. Room itself was great couch, table for two and kitchenette and the bed. However the bathroom should have been refurbished long time ago! No space for toiletries toilet facing sink and then the shower was a bit dark and looked shabby not dirty just old and worn. However the location is great for restaurants and theatre as well as shopping. Will stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear sabtis99,
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne and appreciate your review. Our rooms come in varying sizes and configurations and we’d be very happy to assist in finding one which meets all your needs and requirements. Please contact our friendly reservations team to assist with your next booking. I am pleased otherwise you had a great stay and enjoyed the delights of our neighbourhood too. Until next time...

There are newer reviews for Stamford Plaza Melbourne

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I am just checking out of the Stamford Plaza Hotel (stayed here 3 nights Feb 1-4, 2014). We got a 2-bedroom suite which was like a small city apartment. The lobby was not impressive but the warm greetings at the reception made us comfortable right away. The Stamford has 2 separate towers but I think we stayed at the newer one. Our room was very nice with 2 bathrooms, a living room with small dining for 4 and a kitchenette (microwave, refrigerator, toaster, etc). With included internet in my package, I was right at home. Perfect little apartment. The decor is elegant not modern but the amenities are. The swimming pool on the top floor was small and simple but it was good enough for a dip on a hot summer day here in Melbourne. The gym was small but it was not bad. Breakfast was also included in our package and we had to go to the adjoining tower for that, just a very small hop outside the door and into the next building. It was a not a big spread (the typical bacon, sausages, some hot food & omelette served) but in this city where prices are ridiculously high, it was plenty. Location is central, we walked just about everywhere. Plenty of restaurants, shops, banks, etc. outside the door. Chinatown was close by. The weather in Melbourne is temperamental. It was scorching hot yesterday and today it was cool & breezy and I had to wear a sweater! I give the Stamford Plaza a thumbs up. Take a look at the photos of the hotel and see for yourself.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade cheaply for the 1 or 2 bedroom suite, do so.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Celestial G
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear TellyGabriel,
It certainly sounds like Stamford Plaza Melbourne was your “home away from home” on your recent visit and we are so delighted that our well appointed suites and friendly service made you feel so comfortable. Thanks also for sharing some of your photos from the trip too, I am sure your fellow TripAdvisor’s will find them very useful. We look forward to welcoming you again – and don’t forget to pack for Melbourne’s “four seasons in one day”!

Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at this fabulous hotel for a romantic getaway in Melbourne at the Stamford Plaza which passed expectations! We were greeted by friendly reception staff for a fuss free check in. Upon entering our king suite room there was a bottle of wine on ice which was a nice touch! The suite was comfortable and quiet. Concierge staff were very helpful and friendly. Would recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Helen W,
Love is all around at Stamford Plaza Melbourne! With Valentine’s Day coming up, our Romance & Seduction package is sure to delight. It includes rose petals scattered across the bed upon your arrival, a chilled bottle of champagne to set the mood, a romantic 3 course dinner in Harry’s Restaurant, breakfast for two the following morning and other fantastic inclusions – it’s the perfect way to spend quality time with that special someone. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your special getaway and found all aspects of your stay enjoyable. It’s such a joy to surprise and delight our guests’ with our friendly service and luxurious suites and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back for more of the same soon.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

First things first. After checking in we were not offered any assistance with bags, so I asked how do I get my luggage down those stairs. The receptionist then said it is only a few and then you can go to the lifts.I asked could we have some assistance with the luggage. He obliged. I had to ask though which does not give a good first impression of a five star hotel.

The hotel has two towers connected by a walkway. Very annoying unless you have some time on your hands moving between the towers to access different parts of the hotel. Apparently tower two is quieter and it was. The service, amenities and room were very disappointing to say the least because it was marketed as a one bedroom apartment. It was well appointed, pleasantly decorated, clean and neat, but was could only be described as a studio with a nib wall. The kitchen had walls around it so, technically it was separate to the loungeroom. The bedroom had direct access to the entry from the corridor. When it was busy you did hear the traffic past the door. The kitchen was awkward and did not have what was needed to prepare a simple meal or extras. You have to ask for a cooking pack with one saucepan and a couple of other things. Where is the information, well its not available. We waited for over 45 minutes for this box to finish the meal. After packing the dishwasher, the next day everything disappeared. Plates and cutlery as well as the cooking items. Once again had to ask to get them back. Waited over and hour this time after a very exhausting day. There was a microwave, sink, cook top and bar fridge.

Oh, its supposed to be a corporate hotel, according to the Duty Manager. Where does the marketing suggest this? However, if I were on business I would be very annoyed at not being able to get any reception on your cell phone in your room. Yes, no reception at all. I was advised by the staff it is my provider. That is a bit strange as all over Australia, there has been no problem with my provider. In fact you can get reception when my husbands phone can’t.. She said “oh well you can use the phone in the hotel to ring your husband, but it can be expensive.” As wifi is not free I couldn’t email either. When I got a phone call, we got cut off over six times before giving up. When I asked to speak to someone, the Duty Manager gave us 24 hour free access to wifi. How gracious. It was slow but the following morning the switch gave better phone reception. When the access was over, phone reception was intermittent at best. I spoke to another guest who said the same thing happened to her and she was cut off going between the towers as well.

Forget the concierge too. Too flustered, too busy, too snappy. When I said we had been waiting in the room for quite some time over an hour and a half to speak to someone, she made an excuse. She then shoved a brochure at me and , said take this one. This wasn’t what I requested and I didn’t want a full day/night with an 8 year old. She also suggested a hire car, and said she was too busy this morning to offer assistance. It was a ridiculous solution as Melbourne’s roads are not the same as anywhere else in the country. It’s bad enough standing in the middle of the road to catch a tram,, it is quite scary. Cars stop for trams in the middle of the road. MMMmm. I have driven in many countries but there is no way I was doing this with my daughter and myself. I booked and found a tour myself to the penguins.

We paid a premium rate and got breakfast included. My daughter and I were seated in the corner, and I was given cold awful coffee and when I told the staff, he said Oh well I made that, felt the cup and said, “feels warm to me”. I am not fussy but just wanted a hot coffee. I did not ask for another as I was surprised by his rude response. My daughter summed it up. The people don’t like children here and we are not welcome. We stayed three nights and struck one lady on the last day who made me a hot coffee. It was the only one that was fine and she was very pleasant. The breakfast was really ordinary , surly staff, no products that were gluten free and nothing special. Remember they market it as a five star hotel.!!! The food delivered to your room was OK, timely, but when I ordered it the person could not answer a simple question about the size of the pizza. I had to ring back to speak to someone else, the Food and Beverage Manager, who was very helpful.

The only thing that was good was the pool, the opening roof and no buildings above you. It was small though for such a large hotel. The roof was shut on dusk and the temperature in the pool was lovely. There are robes in your room for use. A good place to relax.

On our last morning we were woken by the porter at 5.45am after going to bed at 1am after a penguin tour. The bed was very comfortable and the room fairly quiet except around midnight. As the traffic got noisy and I could smell smoke (from a neighbour) smoking in the balcony, I placed a towel at the door. The Porter was pushing the towel inward and a scratching noise for about 5 minutes. I looked through the door and couldn’t see anyone but still heard the scratching and saw fingers under the door. I was quite alarmed as we were by ourselves and I thought someone was trying to get in. A Porter was trying to give us an account for a quick departure. It was folded into quarters and he was pushing the towel in. The account was incorrect too. How did we know if it was a stranger trying to look in???? Why not give us the option like other hotels to have an express checkout, perhaps a note in the room?. I suggested to slip the account in an envelope under the paper. Apparently, on check out none of these ideas (from many many years of travel) were sufficient. The answer was due to privacy he could not have done anything differently. If all else fails, the receptionist can hide behind the privacy laws that really don’t work in that manner.

You are required to do a fair bit of walking to access the tourist tram and a decent supermarket. I would choose other hotels where the trams run a lot closer to the hotel.

After completing the hotel’s survey an Office Manager phoned me and offered to take care of us should we return. He was very pleasant but our trip was over and we are not likely to return to Melbourne. Although they did not have to do this, the ongoing problems need not have occurred. He suggested my expectations were high. However, I went with few expectations only that we would be safe and have services available to us. Afterall the hotel was marketed as a five star establishment. Clearly it wasn’t.

Room Tip: The second tower is apparently quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear loveholidays11,

I appreciate you taking the time to speak with our Assistant Front Office Manager, who was keen to discuss your concerns personally. It is regrettable that your stay did not always meet your expectations as we generally receive such positive feedback regarding our friendly service, well appointed suites and convenient facilities. Your feedback is very valuable to us and your comments have certainly been addressed with the appropriate department heads and reviewed with their teams. Following on from your conversation, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your daughter in the future and restoring your confidence in this hotel with a stay that is exceptional in every sense.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed at Stamford Plaza Melbourne for 3 nights during the Australian Open Tennis. Reception staff were excellent and even though the hotel was full you wouldn't know it. Concierge staff also very good. Our room had a kitchenette which proved handy. Bathroom was little small but the twin suite & lounge area was spacious. Would also recommend Harry's Bar food was reasonably priced and good value. Within a very easy 15 minute stroll to Melbourne Park. Also two blocks to CBD shopping. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There are glass lifts so if you don't like heights would suggest you request a lower level room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear Barbie0122014,
Thank you for your generous review, we’re delighted to have provided all you were looking for in a hotel stay from friendly service and great food through to our convenient location and spacious suites. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again and next time you might like to try the “Friday Night Shout” package it includes overnight accommodation in one our luxurious suites, valet parking, a $50 tab for Harry’s Bar to start off the weekend and a buffet breakfast for two. Please contact our friendly team members in reservations for further information or to make a booking – we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This hotel exceeds expectations of excellence. Comfortable. Clean. Plenty of amenities. Friendly and attentive staff. Restaurant is excellent for casual dining. Bar is excellent. Concierge staff are knowledgeable and very efficient in booking dining, tours and events. Great location in Melbourne with access to transportation and sights. Easy walking to sports complex.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank TimothyeJones

Dear TimothyeJones,
What a fantastic review! Thank you for sharing such positive feedback on your most recent stay. We’d be delighted to be your number one choice for accommodation when in Melbourne and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back for another 5 star stay. Don’t forget that between 5pm & 7pm daily, we offer great priced drinks in Harry’s Bar – we’d love to see you there.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I was very disappointed by this hotel - and more so the fact that Management did not bother to call me to discuss this (even though I asked 3 times)
I had to clean hair from the bed.
The mattress protector was soliled.
The bench tops were sticky and needed wiping.
Two blood soaked band-aids were sitting in the in-room dining menu
The cutlery and plates were sticky and had food remains stuck to them

(With hesitation from staff) We were offered a free breakfast, but sadly that too was below the standard of compatible hotels. Buffet food had gone cold and the kitchen (which is visible) didn't look clean.

Rooms a very nicely renovated! As a regular traveller, I'd say it's management issue - lack of attention to detail.

Room Tip: Have a look before you commit to staying or handing over your money!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Frequent_TravelerAU,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in reply and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to speak directly with my Executive Assistant Manager to further discuss your stay. I share your deep disappointment at the incidents noted and can assure you this is certainly not the level of service we are known for. Rest assured the appropriate follow up has been made and we are very grateful that you will provide us with the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future, where I know your confidence will be restored and your stay enjoyable.