Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$134
$124
  • Restaurant
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$201
$125
Hotels.com
$126
$117
  • Room Service
Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$93
  • Free Internet
$92
$88
  • Bar/Lounge
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$158
$240
$145
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Art Series - The Blackman(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$170
$127
Travelocity
$230
$185
4,935 results
All reviewsharry's bargreat locationspa bathking suitevalet parkingcollins streetlounge areasmall kitchenroom servicebuffet breakfastenjoyable staycentral locationgreat roommini barconciergegymcouch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed for one night with my 10 year old son. The team at reception could not have been more helpful. They changed our room to provide us with a separate bedroom so my son was able to sleep undisturbed.The room was large and comfortable. The feather pillows from the pillow menu were lovely. We enjoyed the pool and spa - especially when we had it all to ourselves. The location was great for walking to transport and the shops.

Room Tip: Check that your one bedroom suite has a separate bedroom.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Karryanne23,
A separate lounge area to bedroom is a key feature of our suites as it allows for privacy, space and comfort. Thank you for your compliments regarding our pool too – we’re very happy with the changes made and it is a lovely place to relax and unwind. We really appreciate the time you have taken to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you and your son back on your return.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed at the Stamford Plaza for 1 week over Christmas in a 1 Bedroom King Suite. The room was large and well appointed, with a small fridge and 2 televisions. Décor was a bit dated; it would have been extremely fashionable in the 90s, but looks a bit old now, though it was very clean and not worn.

We chose a 1-bedroom suite as we were there for 1 week and wanted to have a bit of space for working and relaxing and this room fit the bill for that. Even though we did not use the kitchen, it had a microwave and decent sized fridge, so you could buy your own milk, cool your own drinks etc. that was more convenient than a regular hotel room. One thing that could be improve would be to put sliding doors and/or curtains between the living area and bedroom, so one person can sleep while the other watches television, and also have a door between the vanity area of the bathroom and the bedroom to create some privacy and not disturb the people sleeping (though the shower and toilet were behind a door).

As the hotel is split across and small laneway, our room, though having a window, looked into the building across the road (as has been mentioned in several other review so this was not a surprise) which was not a deal breaker, but being there for so long it would be good to get some natural light, and also be able to assess the weather by looking out the window, especially given Melbourne’s constantly changeable weather.

Staff were helpful and friendly, no complaints there and were able to answer all questions about the local area, where to buy tram tickets etc.

I found Internet extremely expensive (iirc $15 per day for a package for 2 devices, which added up over the week and is more than what I pay for faster speeds at home for 2 months!) and not particularly fast, but was serviceable. Given the length of time we were there and my experience with other hotels around the region, I though this was a bit much. Unlike other hotels, which charge for faster speeds, they did not have a free slower speed options for basic email checking and web surfing. Also as we had been travelling for 1 week before we had a lot of laundry, which we sent to the hotel laundry and cost a phenomenal amount, which was all indicated, but I think given the length of stay there could have been some option for a bulk discount or price cap within reasonable amounts. All in all with the ancillary services I felt like the hotel was price gouging us, and while I am happy to pay for what we use, the excessive costs did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. We also used valet parking, which was $45 per day, and our only real option, but the service was good, and we never had to wait long to get our car.

The location is fantastic, at the top end of town, walking distance to several main office buildings, the river, shops, trams and countless restaurants.

I may consider the Stamford Plaza again, but would look at and try out other options, such as serviced apartments if we are staying more than a few nights, wanted a bit more room, more light and less expensive services, but for what we needed on this trip the Stamford Plaza fit the bill.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear thezeje,
Thank you for your thorough review of the time you recently spent at Stamford Plaza Melbourne. I am delighted to read that the positives certainly outweigh the negatives and appreciate your feedback. Our rooms have varying configurations and layouts and we do have some which have a separating door between the bedroom and living areas, please feel free to make this request when making your next reservation. We can also note your preference for a room with more natural light. You may also be interested to know for any future stays we have a laundry room available for guests to do their own laundry at their convenience. We’d be absolutely delighted to welcome you again when you next visit Melbourne and should you provide us with this opportunity it would be our pleasure to find a suite which best meets all your needs.

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We had a two night stay. Service was responsive, particularly after we pointed out a couple of minor concerns with the cleanliness of the rooms. The front desk staff were very helpful on a number of occasions. The pool was very well looked after and we had it to ourselves early in the morning. If you are there on a Friday wear your red shoes for Harry's Bar.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Duncan G,
As a GM it is always a pleasure to receive feedback such as yours regarding the high level of service you experienced during your stay. I do apologise for the shortcomings you noted and these have been addressed as a matter of urgency. I think you may have enjoyed our Red Shoe Friday special in Harry’s too – where your first glass of Moet is free between 5pm & 7pm if you’re wearing your best red shoes, it’s a great way to kick off the weekend. We look forward to welcoming you and your Red Shoes back again in the future

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here over Xmas we were originally due to arrive to melbourne on the 27th December but our plans changed so the hotel that we had already booked was full. So I found an amazing deal over xmas for this hotel and thought it would be too good to be true but I was wrong.

This hotel was in a prefect location to explore melbourne. Our hotel was not the largest we have stayed in but had everything we needed and the bed was so comfortable.

The pool area is worth a visit. I like that the roof can be open above the pool so you can look out at the Melbourne sky.

All the staff we spoke to were lovely and very helpful. The lady from Seattle who checked us in was really amazing and an asset to the Stamford plaza.

We would stayed in 6 hotels during our trip to Australia and this was the best we stayed in

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rachy_85

Dear rachy85,
Thank you for your review and such high praise. We love to surprise and delight our guests with our friendly service and fantastic facilities and it certainly sounds like we achieved this and more during your stay. We’re so excited to have our amazing new pool and spa facility open again and as you have said, a roof top swim is a lovely way to finish a busy day of sight seeing. We’re thrilled to be your number one hotel and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here for the second time within a 6 month period and will never go back again after the service we had received.

Firstly, I will mention that the location of this hotel is very convenient to all the essentials, such as: public transport, close walk to the shopping district as it is in the middle of the city.
Check-in was smooth and easy as the concierge was very helpful, however nobody offered to help with our luggage (we are 2 small females with 4 large bags). Once we arrived to our room we were happy with the amenities and general room tidiness.

The troubles started on the second day when we left early in the morning. We left the “make up room” sign lit so we could return to a fresh room. When we returned at around 4:30pm the room was still not made. We started to get ready for dinner and as we were doing so housekeeping rang the doorbell at 5pm wanting to make-up our room. We kindly asked if she could return in 20-30min as we would have left for dinner. She abruptly replied with “No, I want to finish my shift and go home and you are the 2nd last room and I’ve been here since 8:30am”. To which we had no reply as we were quite shocked at her response. She then proceeded to make-up the room; or so we thought. She demanded that I remove everything off the bed in order to speed things up. Once again I was shocked not only at her demands, but her tone as well. As I looked at my friend in utter disgust, she asked “Is it ok if I don’t make the bed”. At this point all we wanted was her gone, so we said just “no, it’s ok”. She then left some towels and toiletries and left. While all this was going on she couldn’t stop complaining about how she is overworked and short-staffed.

The next few days the room was made-up as usual, however housekeeping failed to provide sufficient toiletries for 2 people on many occasions.

During our stay both of us noticed ourselves beginning to itch more and more as we slept in the beds. The itch resulted in small rashes that were only apparent after sleeping in the beds. A few days into the stay the itching got to a point where we needed to seek help from a pharmacist. The pharmacist advised that it was likely bed bugs and gave us some medication.

The itching and bed conditions were mentioned to the Assistant Manager who came to the room and was equally as rude and uninterested as the housekeeping lady that we first encountered. We also advised her about the housekeeping issue we had at the beginning, to which she showed no interested and laughed it off. Her response of “Haha I’ll sort her out” was not reassuring at all. All that was done to rectify the situation was change the sheets and towels along with a few new amenities.

We are both extremely disappointed with the way our complaints were addressed (or not addressed for that matter) on top of the attitude that was shown at the beginning of our stay.
This hotel may have a) the name b) the location and c) the right price, but if you are looking for service, cleanliness or a comfortable stay in general, there are plenty of other options available in Melbourne city.

Please do not reply to this review, as you had ample opportunity to rectify the situation during our stay last week and utterly failed to do so.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Shaazeen H
Karl U, Executive Assistant Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Shaazeen H
Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback following your recent stay at The Stamford Plaza Melbourne. We take any shortcomings in our service standards very seriously and I am very disappointed to read of the manner in which your concerns were addressed. Please be assured the appropriate follow up and investigations will be made. I certainly understand your frustration and whilst you have indicated that you wish for no further contact I would be very grateful for the opportunity to speak with you personally. If you have a few minutes spare I can be contacted on 03 9659 1000 and would be very pleased to hear from you as it is feedback such as yours that enables us to improve our service offering.
Fabien Dewelle