New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #37 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Newcastle, Australia
“Nice room but noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed 6 nights. The room was good with a kitchenette, reasonably spacious. The pillow menu was great. Staff were always helpful. The ability to not have your room serviced everyday & get $$ off any food bill at the hotel was great. I was having a look at the dinner menu early one evening. A suggestion of what was good was made & that if I came back for dinner a glass of wine would be on the house. I fully expected this to be forgotten but the glass of wine was taken off the bill. The only down side was how noisy it was trying to sleep on a fir or sat night. All in all an enjoyable stay. The swimming pool was out of action for repairs but didn't bother me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear ANANGEL_123,
We’re thrilled that you enjoyed such a comfortable stay with us! Our spacious suites which offer a separate lounge to sleeping area as well as a kitchenette are perfect for lengthier stays and certainly create a sense of “home away from home” feeling. Thank you also for highlighting the exceptional service you received in the restaurant and I am pleased to let you know that our pool and spa facility has since re-opened – I hope you have the opportunity to make use of it on your next visit. We hope it’s soon.
Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Having selected this hotel to start our Xmas holiday off, we were disappointed to find upon arrival that the swimming pool was closed, however we were told the pool due to open later that day, we checked out 3 days later and the pool was still not opened!

After check in we moved to the tower our room was located in, to be confronted by a terrible smell in hall way to the lifts! This smell was clearly a sewage issue , and covered the breakfast and bar area also, so we had to sit amongst this smell while eating breakfast! Again the smell was still there at check out!

Check out was a busy time and it took around 20 mins to check out the hotel, it took so long we didn't even get our tax receipt!

The hotel looked nice and the staff was friendly, but with the pool being closed and the awful smell put a real downer on our stay!

Stayed December 2013
Dear Robert11mc,
I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay and am very sorry that your expectations were not met in all areas. It is very unfortunate that due to unforeseen circumstances the re-opening of our pool facility was delayed, I understand your disappointment and sincerely apologise for the impact this had on your stay. The works have since been completed and I am very pleased to announce that the pool is once again open for our guests to enjoy. On a more positive note thank you for highlighting the friendliness of our staff, the genuine warmth and hospitality they display towards our guests is certainly commendable. I do hope you will provide us with the opportunity to welcome you again and indeed show we are capable of exceeding your expectations in all areas.
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

I was very upset to discover that the pool was unavailable for use during my stay, during the height of summer. I had received a letter in my room stating that the pool was now open on the day I arrived so I didn't anticipate any problems. However there was no warning that the pool was still shut, until I arrived at the pool and couldn't get in. There was no compensation offered, only that I could walk down the road and cross the road to another hotel and pay the special price of $12! I was most disappointed with this outcome. I thought the rooms were lovely, but the reason I had booked this hotel was for the pool. I would have liked a resolution to this issue however none was offered.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Karl U, Executive Assistant Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Lisa D,
It is very unfortunate the opening of our new pool & spa facility was delayed due to unforeseen circumstances and I sincerely apologise for the impact this had on your stay. It is disappointing that we were unable to resolve the matter to your satisfaction and I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss the matter with you personally. Feedback such as yours is highly important to us and I would be delighted to hear from you, if you have a few minutes spare I can be contacted on 03 9659 1135. Thank you.

Fabien Dewelle
Executive Assistant Manager
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed here on our anniversary at the start of December and were so overjoyed at the surprise left for us!

Room was absolutely amazing, spacious and with the most comfortable bed and couch!! Did not want to get off either! Location is good as it is close to everything, especially the restaurant street.

The only negative comment I have is the closure of the pool/spa facilities for renovation. As we'd driven over 8 hours we were very much looking forward to relaxing in the spa, but unfortunately this was not possible.

Overall we absolutely loved our experience here and would definitely stay here again! Thanks to the friendly staff, in particular those who made our anniversary special. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveldreamerxx
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Kim S,
Congratulations on your Anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend your special occasion at Stamford Plaza Melbourne. It’s fantastic to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. A great night’s sleep is very important, we get lots of great comments about our comfy beds and pillows. I am sorry that our pool facility was not available during your visit but am pleased to announce it has since re-opened. It looks fantastic and we hope you will have the opportunity to enjoy it on your next stay.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Great stay as per usual. Regularly use this hotel as a get away for a night or two and always dine at Harry's. Food is great and you can't go past the burger deal - big tasty burger, chips and a beer, wine or soft drink for $19.50.

Pleased to find that the pool has now reopened and that I got to take advantage of it on my last day. Looks amazing and they have done a great job on it. Looking forward to my next trip back to make better use of it.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Justletmetravel,
Fantastic service, wonderful facilities and great value are guaranteed at Stamford Plaza Melbourne and I’m thrilled that you enjoyed each on your recent stay. Our burger deal is an excellent offer and with 7 flavours to choose from you will certainly spoiled for choice. We’re also very excited to have our pool re-opened and appreciate your positive feedback. We too hope you’ll have a little more time to relax in this great space on your return – we hope you’ll be back soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have stayed at the Stamford a few times over the past few years as it's a central meeting place for friends that live on the other side of town.

I was checked in and welcomed back by a lovely lady on reception who kindly informed of the pool opening! My friends and I were excited to be one of the first people to enjoy this facility. The pool was fantastic and much of an improvement from last I visited, we spent a relaxing hour here and also enjoyed the gym which also fulfilled all my needs for a great work out!!

Stamford has become our hotel of choice for future as the location, hotel and staff are fantastic! Great job guys, we will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear AleccL,

Thank you for choosing Stamford Plaza Melbourne, it’s wonderful to have loyal guests like yourself who return time and time again. Thank you also for sharing the wonderful news that our pool is back in action and looking fantastic- we’re thrilled with the results also. We’re delighted to be your number one choice for Melbourne and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
caloundra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have just returned from 2 nights at this hotel - Overall an excellent stay and just a couple of minor issues.

The room was lovely and one of the most spacious I have stayed in - the bathroom was nice and had a sensor light which was great in the middle of the night! The housekeeping was very efficient and our room was spotless when we returned during the day.

The only problem I had was the noise at night from the street below - we were on the 3rd floor so next time I will request a higher floor. It was extremely noisy and kept me awake for hours.

Checkin and out was quick and easy and the staff very welcoming and friendly. We had a drink at Harrys bar and Im not sure what the smell is in there but it is unpleasant. I overheard some other people talking about this as well so could be worth investigating. (I have also seen it on another review).

I would definitely come back to the Stamford - the rooms are so nice, and the hotel itself just lovely. Just a higher room to avoid the noisy Melbourne streets!

Room Tip: choose a high level room - very noisy bottom floors (we were on the 3rd)