“Classy hotel let down by WiFi issues”

Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #43 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have stayed here on several occasions and always enjoyed this hotel. The location in the Paris end of Collins Street is a plus. The rooms are all suites with kitchen facilities, comfortable furniture, two televisions and high levels of fitout and cleanliness. The effect is conservative and solid. The bathroom offers a full size bath/jacuzi with a good quality shower. While there appears limited space for toiletries in the bathroom there is a large drawer that can contain all and more from anyone's wet pack. The bed was very impressive and the air conditioning responsive. I like the door bell and the electronic signals for privacy or invitation to make up the room. The staff are professional and helpful. The welcome and departure are always smooth and quick. The lobby is quite spectacular and the glass lifts are dramatic and fun. My only complaint is having to pay $24.95 for WiFi, an increasingly rare slug in Australian hotels, and one that has died out in the USA. To add to the annoyance, the WiFi did not operate properly in my room - 1122 - and was only a bit better after it was adjusted. Were it not for this, I would rate this hotel 5 stars. I have not tried breakfast here but I would expect it to be impressive. It is a hotel that, WiFi aside, succeeds well for its guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear fatheralbert,
Thank you for your thorough and gracious review of your recent stay, we love to welcome back long time members of our greater Stamford family. It’s always wonderful to get that “Home away from Home” feeling and it is the reason why so many of our guests come back again and again and again. Thank you for your comments regarding our wi-fi service and I apologise that you had some troubles connecting, I will ensure this is further investigated & resolved. Prior to your next visit may I recommend that you contact one of our friendly reservation team members as we sometimes have special offers which include wi-fi in the rate and they would be very happy to assist in finding a package which best suits your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Stamford Plaza Melbourne

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in late August. The staff were really helpful, rooms are lovely and it is within walking distance to everything in the CBD. Upon check-in the lady was genuinely excited for us when I told us it was a first couple nights away without our 2 boys. We arrived very early, so they offered to hold our lugguge for us, called me when the room was ready and our bags were in there when we arrived. The room was gorgeous. That lush traditional style with gold taps etc. We were on the third floor and didn't have a problem with noise, but our room faced a smaller lane. We could hear (nice) music playing in the morning from the outside speakers but it was 'easy listening' and therefore quite nice. It didn't wake us up. We walked everywhere in the CBD, and only got on trams to go to St Kilda and Fitzroy so this is in a great location for either. The room has a little kitchenette, and the bath has spa jets, neither of which we used but thought I'd let you know. We had trouble with our room key one night that was fixed promptly and professionally. On checkout they offered to store our bags until we came back to go to the airport. Great to be served by proactive, friendly staff who know what they are doing. We would definitley stay here again!

Dear SydneySlox,
It sounds like a weekend break was truly deserved and overdue! We are delighted to have delivered 5 star service from the moment you arrived and all the way through your stay. Our staff strive for professionalism and their passion for the hospitality industry certainly shines through. We’d love to welcome you and your husband back for another great stay – and if the kids are coming too we’ve got fantastic two bedrooms suites that are perfect for families. Thanks for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My room had a longe, desk and kitchenette that could prep small meals in. the bedroom was a good size and OK sized bathroom with a spa bath. Very clean and well presented.

Service was a little lapse around catering. I was there for work and at one of the mroning tea breaks they forgot the cups and then when they arived They had forgotten the teaspoons so I used a desert spoon. The next night I gave up waiting for a drink at the bar while standing there for 15 minutes. It was not busy and there where four bar staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Chris H,
I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback. I am very sorry to read of the shortcomings you experienced with regards to the break set up and the service delay in the bar and apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience caused. Please be assured your comments will be used for focus training with our staff in order to improve our service delivery. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel has an amazing location. Its located within walking distance of everything including all the good eating places! Service staff and very friendly and knowledgeable. They give good recommendations A complementary bottle of bubbly on our arrival THANK YOU

Room Tip: we stayed in room 1008
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Ron R,

With our location in such close proximity to the best of Melbourne’s food precinct, it is easy to explore the city.
Thank you so much for noting the fantastic service you received during your visit too.
We would be delighted to welcome you back again for more of the same in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights with my fiancé . Loved the rooms, very comfortable and clean. Staff are very helpful. We started our stay on the 7 th floor. If you are a light sleeper I recommend asking for a room above 12 th floor. I was woken at 5 am by the noise of the rubbish bins being delivered . Being from Perth it was still 3 am in my body, and I couldn't get back to sleep. I approached reception next morning and asked to be moved to a room on 14 th floor where other friends were staying.. Compliments to Bianca on reception who was very accommodating and understanding of my lack of sleep. We went out for the day and whence returned in the afternoon our luggage had been moved to our new room. Slept like a baby for next 3 nights. I would also recommend the Teriyaki pizza from in house dining. Very delicious. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Floors above 12 th floor for less street noise.

Dear Lovetotravel1618,

I’m thrilled to hear that we were able to go beyond your expectations through our fantastic facilities and attentive staff. I’m sorry to hear you were disturbed by outside noise but very pleased it did not taint the overall enjoyable experience. Our Room Service Teriyaki pizza is defiantly delicious and a very popular menu item, our kitchen team will be thankful for your compliments. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very nice hotel in Melbourne's CBD. A group of us stayed in 2 studio rooms and a 2 bedroom apartment. The rooms were comfortable and what you'd expect in a hotel such as the Stamford. Wished I had remembered to pack some bathers as the heated pool and spa on the top floor looked very pleasant and inviting. I think the only thing that needs improvement is access to free Wi-Fi, hotel management commented that this was in accordance with other similar hotels, but I think a hotel of this standard should provide complimentary wireless to their guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Caros76,

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay and the facilities and service the hotel had to offer. We offer a number of packages which include WIFI, so this may be something to look out for on your next stay.
Many thanks for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza in the near future.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

From the moment we pulled up outside to when we drove away this hotel exceeded our expectations.
We did the lazy daze package, Awesome! masage in the room followed by meal in the room cooked by a chef (The Lovely Sally) Could not fault this experience if I wanted to.
All staff are friendly, happy, helpfull, courtious and friendly.
We've rebooked for November!

Room Tip: It's not so much a good room as the location of this hotel! You are in the centre of everything...

Dear DaveT,

Our Lazy Daze package is defiantly the best way to relax and features some amazing inclusions to guarantee a fantastic stay. Thank you for such high praise of the service you received from Sally, we’re thrilled to read that you had such an enjoyable time in Melbourne and at the Stamford Plaza. We would be delighted to welcome you back again for more of the same in November.