“A great location and a good night's sleep” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #36 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“A great location and a good night's sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

What more could you want? In the centre of Melbourne it is a short walk to the great shops, coffee shops and bars that this wonderful city offers. Only a 10 minute walk away is ACMI, currently presenting the Hollywood Costume exhibition, and the Ian Potter gallery which showcases Australian Art. Melbourne is a great city for walking, and within 15 minutes you could be exploring Gertrude Street and its amazing shops, checking out the casino and the myriad dining options there, or visiting an outlet centre. Trams and trains are close if you want to travel further afield.
And the room? The bed/pillow combination was one of the most comfortable I've experienced in a hotel. The decor is a bit dated, but you probably won't be spending too much time in your room. Because the hotel is in the city the room was a bit dark, even though I could look across to a small square and open spaces, but that's what you get when you are surrounded by tall buildings. I'm sure the right room would have sunshine streaming in.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side lane may have some noise from garbage trucks.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear AustralianWillTravel,

We are very proud to have delivered all you were looking for in a Melbourne hotel. Our location is second to none, no matter what you have planned for your time. We often receive comments about our extremely comfortable beds and I’m pleased you found this to be true and had a wonderful nights’ sleep. We hope you’ll be back to stay again on your next visit to Melbourne.

Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom studio suite on this visit and found it to be very clean and the bed plus pillows very comfortable. We were on the 15th floor of the main building which we found to be nice and quiet. The internal lifts were very quick and smooth. The bathroom was quite large for this type of suite. Some hotels should take note of this as they can be very very small.
The young lady who greeted us was very pleasant and welcoming. We had a couple of issues but these were sorted out to our satisfaction. Free WiFi would be a nice added extra as quite a few hotels now provide this, which you would think a 5***** hotel would add free of charge.
All in all a great hotel and wonderful visit.

Room Tip: Choose a high room if possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear chris w,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay, we really appreciate your feedback. I’m very pleased that you found your room to be comfortable and of a good size and found it a quiet oasis in such a busy city. I am sorry to read that your entire stay was not smooth, but pleased we were able to rectify this to your satisfaction. We sometimes offer specials which may include wi-fi in the rate, so please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team, prior to your next visit so they may assist in finding the best deal for you. We hope you’ll be back for another lovely stay soon.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is handily located in the Melbourne CBD and so is close to great restaurants, theatres etc. My room was spacious, clean and had everything I needed. The 'look' is a little dated but was made up by great service from the front desk.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear BalSydney,
Thank you for highlighting the convenience of our location and I am very pleased you found your suite to your liking. It’s wonderful to read that the service you received from the Front Office team had a really positive effect on your stay and we hope you will be back for another visit soon.
Mooloolaba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed in a suite for 2 nights last weekend - and it was amazing! I was stayed on my own and was keen to have a welcoming and cozy place to stay. The Stamford delivered!
From the moment I walked in, the staff were friendly and welcoming. I arrived early and I knew my room wouldn't be ready, but they called me to let me know as soon as I could check into the room.
The room itself was spacious and comfortable. I thought the lack of eternal light and windows would be an issue, but it just wasn't. The living area was so comfortable, which was helpful as I had some friends visit me. The couch was an excellent size, and the carpet was so soft to walk on and extended out to the internal balcony looking over the atrium.
I really loved that that the room had no neighbours - it was at the end of the hallway on one side. The only wall was shared with the hallway. All other walls were the outside of the hotel. It made it feel so cozy and private.
Room service was exceptionally friendly and very professional. I asked for ice to be brought up and it arrived within about 3 minutes. The following day, the cleaning staff went in as soon as I went out and made my room a priority. It made me feel really special - and I loved it!
The bed was very comfortable and made sleeping easy (thankfully!). I was too lazy to access the pillow menu and I do wish I had done that! I liked the little couch in the room with the one external window in the room - perfect for suitcases.
The bathroom was well lit. The mirror was fantastic and the closet had a fair amount of hanging space (even though not that many hangers). The shower and bath felt a bit dungeon like, as the room was an odd U shape and the bathroom was at the end of the U. After a shower, the whole bathroom steamed up which took some time to clear. But I loved the bath with the spa jets, and the lighting was excellent. The toiletries had a strong but really lovely scent.
I made a bit of use of the hotel's spa and pool, both of which were relaxing. I liked the glass roof, it made laying back and staring at the stars so easy!
Every staff member I dealt with made my stay better and more comfortable. I felt safe and at ease and I really enjoyed my trip.
There have been many trips that I have had that the hotel has made life difficult or uncomfortable, but this hotel went the opposite way, and enhanced an already excellent weekend in Melbourne.
Could not recommend more highly!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Ladybeetler,
We are extremely grateful for your complimentary and enthusiastic endorsement of our hotel. It sounds as though our luxurious surroundings and attentive staff made for a truly enjoyable stay. A sense of safety when travelling is always important, even more so when travelling alone, and I am very pleased that you were made to feel so comfortable and welcomed. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated and we hope that you will be back for another superior Stamford stay in the not too distant future.
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

This all suite hotel is perfect for art and film fans. It is very conveniently located for the major art galleries, and there is a fantastic independent cinema just around the corner. The hotel is convenient, very clean, and the staff are very helpful for any requests. It's not a hotel where staff say "no" very often - they generally try to be accommodate even eccentric requests. The bedding could be better - quilts seem to be fairly heavy and firm polyester. Room service was well above average. Also very well located for shopping and exercise as close to gardens. There is an RACV pushbike stand (with bikes for a very low hire rate) around the corner, so you can have fun cycling in the nearby gardens and bike paths.

Room Tip: It is worth requesting a room with internal doors separating the lounge and sleeping rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear WhiteChinaCat,
Stamford Plaza Melbourne is located in the centre of a fantastic city. We’re surrounded by galleries, boutiques, sporting grounds, fine dining restaurants, trendy cafes and popular tourist attractions – whatever your reason for visiting Melbourne, it won’t be far from our doorstep. Thanks for highlighting the “can do” attitude of our staff, we aim to surprise and delight our guests at every turn and I’m very proud you found this so. Thanks for your complimentary review, we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

From a mere picture online to the real thing did not do this Hotel justice, the staff, the setting, and proximity to downtown was great the rooms were excellent, the bed was comfy and a lovely setting to relax in. Our experience at Harry's, the breakfast setting, and above all the staff were very courteous and helpful beyond belief, I would recommend a stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear lenp143,
What a glowing review – thank you for your compliments and for sharing your experience. It really makes us proud to know that all aspects of your stay exceeded your expectations and as such created a hotel visit you’ll never forget. We hope you will be back in this wonderful city again soon as we’d love the chance to welcome you again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Service was good, staff were welcoming and friendly. Photos online make the room look alot bigger. The doona wasn't in a cover, just had two sheets either side of it, my partner and I felt that this wasn't the most hygienic for a hotel. Location is fantastic and overall not bad for a short stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Sally S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We have chosen the style of bedding you have described, which is widely used in hotels throughout the world, as it is a more hygienic option, however if you would prefer your bed to be made up with a blanket on future stays this can easily be arranged. Thank you for highlighting the warm welcome you received and the friendly interactions with our staff throughout your stay. We hope to see you again for another weekend break in the not too distant future.