Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$134
$124
  • Restaurant
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$201
$125
Hotels.com
$126
$117
  • Room Service
Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$93
  • Free Internet
$92
$88
  • Bar/Lounge
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$158
$83
$79
  • Fitness center
Art Series - The Blackman(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$170
$127
$240
$145
Hotels.com
$230
$185
4,935 results
All reviewsharry's bargreat locationspa bathking suitevalet parkingcollins streetlounge areasmall kitchenroom servicebuffet breakfastenjoyable staycentral locationgreat roommini barconciergegymcouch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at the stamford on business previously but this time was with my wife. The separate room from the lounge/kitchen is great, I can work or watch TV while she has a rest. The hotel gym is well equipped and the staff very friendly. the hotel is well located.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear SmokeyRH3,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay, it’s always a pleasure to welcome back repeat guests. I agree that having a separate living and kitchen area is one of the best aspects of our hotel, the extra space certainly makes a difference. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back soon for another great stay, hopefully it might be a leisure trip for both of you!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We pitched up at the Stamford Plaza Melbourne after three nights at the Sir Stamford Circular Key Sydney. Thus our expectations were high - the reality proved somewhat disappointing.

The two hotels are part of the same group but here the similarity ends. Gone the personal touch, gone the resplendent rooms with a view, gone the warmth and coziness. Instead we found twin towers, tall and aloof, separated by a street where the sun don't shine.

Our room - and we swapped twice; once to get a bath and once yet again to get a bath (but one not in a smoking room) was dark and overlooked the building enclosed rear. Standard decorative fare awaited, drab colours, slightly tired and with a small bathroom complete with a plastic bath that was only able to accommodate 3/4 of me at any one time or the alternative of standing for an inbath shower.

Situated on Little Collins in the CBD, it was handy five minute walk to the trams and another five or so on to Federation Square but you could have been anywhere in the world as the atmosphere of the hotel registered so low on the Richter Scale. Expensive wi-fi only contributed to the desire to use the room solely as a place to freshen up and to lay ones head.

Staff were polite when approached and one concierge went out of his way to retrospectively explain the vagaries of Melbourne's toll road charging system after we had inadvertently travelled along a chargeable stretch. He allowed us to use his telephone f.o.c. and following a small credit card transaction, we hopefully have escaped a penalty.

We enjoyed Melbourne itself very much but I shed no tears when we checked out. The upside of the hotel? - its close proximity to the excellent Chin Chin Asian restaurant for supper and the eclectic Il Solito Posto basement trattoria for breakfast.

Sorry, there'll be no 'wish you were here' postcard from me for the Stamford Plaza.

Room Tip: Make sure you book what you want in advance - changing to get what we wanted was troublesome.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CurtisG

Dear Curtis G,
I am disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations and am sorry to hear that your room was not to your liking. It is true that our central city location means that we are surrounded by other structures, this does unfortunately limit the views from certain parts of the building. The style of the hotel is very different to our sister hotel Sir Stamford Circular Quay, nevertheless we aspire to provide the same customer service and friendliness with our customer service and staff interactions.
If we have another opportunity to accommodate you, please contact my secretary directly on 9659 1178 as we would be delighted to allocate you a room which covers all of your requests.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I recently had to travel to Melbourne to be with my daughter, her husband and 4 year old granddaughter who was undergoing major heart surgery in the Royal Children's hospital. As I could only book the accommodation at the last minute, I was very fortunate to be able to book a premier king bedroom suite at the last minute. Check in and check out were friendly and efficient. The suite itself was very comfortable, although the decor was slightly dated. The bathroom was on the small side but I liked the old fashioned shower taps (no fiddling about to find out how the taps worked), although when I booked the room, I was under the impression that L'Occitane bathroom toiletries were included, as well complementary newspapers. This was solved by just one phone call to housekeeping and L'occitane bathroom toiletries were delivered within 5 minutes. I was slightly taken back that no toothbrush and toothpaste or shaving kit was provided, these had an additional cost of approx. $5 and $6 respectively (in all other 5 star hotels we have stayed in these were provided as well as shaving kit). As I was in Melbourne for 7 days, the kitchenette came in very handy, just to have the occasional meal in room. The bed was heaven, never have I slept so well in a hotel as in the Stamford Plaza, the pillows were great. A good "green" option is to get a credit of $10 to be used in Harry's bar/cafe for not having the room serviced.
The location of the hotel could not be better, a 5 minute walk (less if one is a fast walker) to the shopping malls, CBD and all the trams.
Now to the negatives: breakfast was a big disappointment, poorly presented, not a big choice in any particular section, and for what it offered very expensive ($32 with a 20% discount).
The gym is small, only 2 treadmills, 2 bikes and 2 cross trainers and only one cable machine with a very limited amount of weights.
Overall, yes I would stay in the Stamford again, definitely and planning to come back sometime next year under less stressfull circumstances.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear J0anna45,

I hope your Granddaughter’s surgery was a success and that she is well on the road to recovery. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay, I am pleased that you are generally satisfied with our service. A good night’s sleep is always important, it’s great that you were able to have one in one our extremely comfy beds. I apologise that your breakfast did not meet your expectations, I have discussed your comments with our Executive Chef
and we will both follow up to ensure the quality of our breakfast remains high.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future for a more relaxing stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We recently spent the night at The Stamford Plaza and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. We arrived early at about midday and were able to check in immediately and accepted a promotional upgrade offer ($15) to a King sized 1 bedroom suite.

The friendly and efficient Reception staff member asked whether we had anything special planned and we mentioned we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. It was a credit to her professionalism and a thoughtful touch that a congratulatory card, bottle of sparkles and chocolates were discovered on return to our room – a pleasant surprise.

Location wise the Stamford is centrally located within easy walking distance to many attractions and great restaurants.

The room itself was perfect – recently upgraded with well-considered inclusions such as dimmer and master switches and an auto sensor light in the bathroom. The decoration was tasteful and it made the suite very inviting.

The basic items for a relaxing stay that some other 5 star hotels don’t get right were all well executed: excellent soundproofing (we were adjacent to the lift lobby and didn’t hear any noise); quiet, effective aircon (it seemed slightly cooler in the bedroom area compared with the cosy living area which was good for sleeping) and effective blackout curtains.

The suite was very well equipped with kitchenette (cooking equipment available on request), comfortable furnishings, 2 tv’s and ipod/phone compatible clock/radio, spa bath etc. Presentation and cleanliness - top standard.

There was a Pillow Menu which we didn’t need to try as the pillows supplied were fine. Our only suggestion for improvement would be to incorporate a soft mattress topper to the bed to ease the very firm feel (a bit hard on the shoulders/hips for us). A pity it’s probably too difficult for hotels to arrange a “Mattress Menu” along the lines of their “Pillow Menu!”

Checkout was also handled with a friendly and professional manner.

We look forward to spending time at the Stamford Plaza Melbourne again, it will be our first choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Tiramastrie,
Firstly congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary, I am so pleased that you chose to celebrate your special occasion with us.
Thank you for all your positive comments regarding your stay, it’s great that you felt so comfortable and were able to enjoy the many features of your room.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

It's the small touches and superior service makes a stay here feel like an indulgent treat. With gold and tassle finishings, plush crested-carpets, white lourved partitions and a pillow menu, the hotel throws back to time when people came first. And thankfully, the team at Melbourne make sure you feel this.
The hotel is in an excellent location and within walking distance to all shopping and eating haunts. It's also very reasonalby priced. I'll definitely be back. Thanks!

Room Tip: The in-room service menu is surprisingly cheap - and tasty. If you're a light sleeper, I'd recommend asking for a high floor. I had a 1 bed apartment in the West Wing on the 7th floor and though it was quiet and I slept well, I vaguely heard the rubbish trucks in the morning...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear young_love_18092010,
I am thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and were made to feel so special, it’s definitely important to indulge ourselves once in a while.
On your next stay perhaps you could try our High Tea served every Sunday, where we pay tribute to the elegance of a traditional English afternoon tea but give it an uplifting modern twist… - a truly lovely way to spend an afternoon,