I booked a mystery hotel on Wotif.com but because of the room types being all 'one-bedroom suites' I already knew before completing the booking that the hotel was the Stamford Plaza Melbourne. So I scored a rate of $160 per night on the weekend. I recommend booking this way as you'll save a good $50-$70 per night from the higher rates on the actual hotel's own website.
The rooms are clean, modern and spacious but the windows didn't open.
The hotel lobby and facilities are a bit dated. I'm sure it would have taken your breath away in the 1980's but the gold rimmed elevators with half of the fairy lights around them working and half not makes for a not so great first impression. The pool and spa are like an aquatic centre and don't look as prestige as the pictures on the internet would sway you to believe. We went up there with a bottle of champaign to have a swim and sit by the pool. We were met with 5 or so screaming kids in a humid room that smelt like chlorine so we went back down to our room and enjoyed the champaign on the couch instead.
The rooms have been renovated and feel very modern. Although from what I can gather from Tripadvisor not all of the rooms are renovated so be aware of this when booking. Windows don't open so it's a bit of a glass box that gets very hot as the air-conditioning is quite weak even on 'high' fan speed. We left it on all day and still came back to a hot hotel room which gets hotter in the morning when the sun hits the glass and you can't let any fresh air in. Personally I wouldn't stay at this hotel again purely because of the windows not opening, I need fresh air and don't like to feel like I can't wait to get outside to breath in the mornings when you wake up.
Having the extra space of a lounge room with a kitchenette is very good. Much better than other hotels with just space around the bed and that's it. However you can probably find an apartment hotel that has the same size, if not bigger rooms (like the Oaks around the corner on Lonsdale) that have a balcony (ahhh fresh air) and more room.
The rooms were extremely clean! I work in hotels and I know how important this is, this hotel obviously takes cleanliness very seriously, it was immaculate.
One small piece of feedback for the hotel; don't fill my room with advertising about all of your 'extra' services like putting the breakfast menu back on my bed every day you clean the room and other promotional material next to my head where I sleep on the bedside tables. I've booked the hotel now leave me alone to choose how I spend my money when I'm there. I think if you eat breakfast in a hotel in Melbourne you're mad, there are amazing places on every block, every street to eat.
The service was professional and efficient as you would expect from a brand like Stamford Plaza, which is why I'm giving the hotel a 4/5. For a business trip the hotel would be perfect (if you can handle the window issue) but for a weekend away from Sydney I'll probably look for something more modern and special next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are very excited that our construction program creating an additional 26 Melbourne hotel suites for our hotel has commenced. The program is scheduled for a completion in September, 2016 and every effort has been made to minimise disruption to our guests during this time. For safety, the working zone is completely contained and works will only be carried out within reasonable daytime hours. The set time frame for works is between 9am & 5pm Monday to Friday and 11am & 4pm on Saturday only. Stamford Plaza Melbourne is a leading all-suite 5 Star Melbourne CBD hotel. Located at the "Paris" end of Little Collins Street, Stamford Plaza Melbourne is the ideal choice for guests looking for quality accommodation in Melbourne's central business district. Set amongst theatres, renowned restaurants, fashion boutiques and Melbourne's finest attractions, guests can relax in the boutique surroundings whilst immersing themselves in the city's vibrant culture. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from Flinders Street station and Federation Square and a 25 minute drive from Tullamarine Airport. Your home away from home, the hotel's elegantly appointed 283 suites are a sanctuary with a luxurious sense of space and comfort. Each suite contains a kitchen with cooking facilities, spacious lounge and dining areas and separate bedroom/s with bath spa en-suite. Guests can enjoy the pool facility featuring sleek furnishings, a hydration station, spa and sauna facilities, and a well equipped gym with cardiovascular and weight training equipment. Services such as 24-hour reception, Concierge and room service, valet car parking and laundry, ensure a relaxing and fuss free stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Stamford Plaza Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stamford Plaza Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Stamford Plaza Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Stamford Plaza Hotel