“Everything You Need for a Relaxing Night IN!”

Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #41 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
melbourne
“Everything You Need for a Relaxing Night IN!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I took my mother away for the weekend to see Love Never Dies at the Regent Theatre. We got a good deal which inculded a 1pm check out, which had made the following day much more relaxing. I chose to stay at the Stamford mainly for the location, being so close to the theatre, a restaurant that I wanted to take mum ( Fabulous place call The Kitchen Cat) and the trams that would take us straight home the next day within a 2 min walk. I was surprised that the hotel still held my information from previous stay several years ago, which was just as fantastic. We got upgraded so my mum was very happy. The suite was luxurious. So wonderful to see quality furnishings with an elegant old world charm. It is most unfortunate these days that cheap and unsturdy furnishings are so widely used in modern style hotels and still expect to pay a high price. We loved everything about the suite and everything that was offered. A small but functional kitchen and bar area. Clever use of space. Lighting was practical. Air Conditioning/ Heater was easy to operate and quality of air was comfortable. Beautiful bathroom with a nice spa bath. Adequate bathroom amenities. Bed was cosy and comfortable. It was so comfortable that my mum refused to leave the room the next day, apart from getting breakfast! Buffet breakfast was delicious. Just enough variety and done with care. Scrambled eggs served in portioned size cups a much better way to keep quality than leaving a big dish of unedible eggs sitting in a pool of liquid, like most other hotels do. Have to say the overall breakfast experience at Harry's was far much better than our previous stay. Glad they had improved. It was also obvious that their maintenance team and housekeeping do, do their jobs properly. Not an easy thing to achieve but well done! Thorough cleanliness and general maintenance always get my utter attention, which can really affect my entire stay. Check in and Check out was efficient and friendly. What a wonderful place. Mum and I got to spend quality time together and she loved everything about it. Cannot wait to return but next time I won't be leaving my room at all...because there is no need to!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed here for a business conference (baby and I were tourists, husband at conference). The accommodation was superb, tastfully decorated in an elegant manner. Kitchen was well equipped.

We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. The living area of this suite was very spacious.

Centrally located. Would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: We had a corner suite and it was delightful. If you want to use the pool a lot, ask for a room in t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Dear Ropey1978,

Thank you for your complimentary comments.

We are very proud of our renovated suites, and I am pleased that the facilities and services suited your stay.

We would love to have you back again.

Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

I stayed one night here and was reasonably happy with the Hotel. I had a suite and the lounge, kitchen and bedroom were lovely however the bathroom is really small and outdated. You would not be able to fit 2 people at the hand basin and the shower was in the bath and very low. Could not see that it could be adjusted. Had room service and was disappointed as the soup was barely warm even though the flavour was lovely.The upside for me was that the pool was warm!! most times pools are advertised at hotels as heated, yet you struggle to get in but the stamford pool was lovely.Staff were very friendly and helpful and even rang me during the day to say my room was ready as I had arrived early.The hotel is a five min. walk to the city centre and is in an ideal position for the theatres and one min walk thru a laneway to the Collins street tram. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would consider staying again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear Travelbug,

Thank you for sharing your review, and it was pleasing to note you enjoyed the swimming pool and our central location. We always strive to provide authentic hospitality to all our guests and a memorable experience. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed interacting with our staff and if you wish to highlight anyone in particular, please let us know so we can nominate them for our staff awards.

Looking forward to welcome you back again.

sydney, aus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed here for work earlier in the week. I wasn't expecting much and was initially disappointed not to stay in one of my usual haunts. But I was very pleasantly surprised. The Stamford Plaza was actually pretty good and is an excellent location just off Collins Street.

My room was relatively modern and nicely furnished, as well as being clean and functional. It was also a decent size although I was only on the 3rd floor so had a fairly uninspiring view of a laneway.

I didn't dine in any of the restaurants or use many facilities as was only there overnight but enjoyed my stay and would stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Marniemac,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. Our newly refurbished rooms are suitable for business travelers, and we are pleased that you liked the style of furnishings we have chosen.

When you stay on a Wednesday (Stamford Burger Day), select one of our mouth watering magnificent Burgers.

Hope to see you soon.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

I just wanted to advise of the wonderful experience we had in Melbourne whilst staying at the Stamford Plaza Hotel. We booked a twin room for the weekend. From the moment we arrived at the hotel to the moment we left everything was perfect. We arrived at 9.30am and I was quiet surprised to find that a room was available and we did not have to wait until check in time. Upon entering the room I was impressed with the decor, organisation and the cleanliness of the room. Rooms were a good size with a small kitchenette and living space, beds were comfortable. The bathroom was small but pratical, clean and water pressure of the shower was excellent.

Throughout our stay I found the hotel staff to be very attentive to our requests. Upon checking out of the hotel the concierge could not have been more helpful. Although he was very busy and surrounded by other guests, he assisted in confirming our flights, printing our flight details as well as booking the airport shuttle for us. Upon the airport shuttle arriving he insisted on carrying our luggage and all we had to do was take a seat on the shuttle.

It is really nice to stay at such a lovely hotel with such professional staff. I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear Mhobbis,

I was delighted to read your comments and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Your complimentary remarks concerning our Concierge staff has been passed on accordingly as it is important that our staff receive positive feedback from the most valuable source, you our guest.

We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

I last stayed at this hotel in 1995 and was expecting it to be old and dated. I had a pleasant surprise when I found that the rooms were fairly well maintained though not exactly modern.

Service from the front desk and concierge were good. Though I had major issues with housekeeping. One my first day I came back to my room with my nightie strewn over the phone on the bedside table. I had left it neatly folded on top of my bed that morning.

I ordered a burger from room service. I specifically asked them to cook it medium and it came super well done and as hard as a board.

I forgot to bring toothpaste with me so I asked housekeeping for some. They charged me aud4 for a very small tube. Pls also note that this hotel charges aud19.95 for Internet access.

Overall it's bearable, but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again as there are far better options in Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank corky_c
Dear Corky_c

Thank you for your comments. I was disappointed that Housekeeping and Room Service let us down.
It was pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our Front Desk service and the recently completed refurbishment of our Suites.
The team and I would love the opportunity to have you back and show you how fabulous our Burgers normally are!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed here for business in early August and opted for the Stamford (over other hotels nearby) particularly for a special deal that included double frequent flyer points. The room whilst well appointed, was on the small side and the outlook was very ordinary..(into the building next door). For the most part, the service during my stay was friendly and prompt. However, it is now 3 months later and I STILL have not received ANY frequent flyer points for this stay. Despite contacting staff, the only response i've had has been two emails from the Assistant Manager assuring they will be "processed in the next couple of weeks". So, hardly 5 Star service I'd say.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear g d,

I am sorry you have not received your Frequent Flyer points and I apologies for the tardy follow up work from my team! We did experience a technical problem with the Frequent Flyer software, which caused the delay. My team have assured me that this has now been rectified and your points have been processed. Please contact me direct if there is anything further I can help with on this matter.

I trust you enjoyed the services and facilities the hotel has to offer and we hope to see you back soon.