“Lovely Hotel - Exceptional Service”

Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #44 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I just wanted to advise of the wonderful experience we had in Melbourne whilst staying at the Stamford Plaza Hotel. We booked a twin room for the weekend. From the moment we arrived at the hotel to the moment we left everything was perfect. We arrived at 9.30am and I was quiet surprised to find that a room was available and we did not have to wait until check in time. Upon entering the room I was impressed with the decor, organisation and the cleanliness of the room. Rooms were a good size with a small kitchenette and living space, beds were comfortable. The bathroom was small but pratical, clean and water pressure of the shower was excellent.

Throughout our stay I found the hotel staff to be very attentive to our requests. Upon checking out of the hotel the concierge could not have been more helpful. Although he was very busy and surrounded by other guests, he assisted in confirming our flights, printing our flight details as well as booking the airport shuttle for us. Upon the airport shuttle arriving he insisted on carrying our luggage and all we had to do was take a seat on the shuttle.

It is really nice to stay at such a lovely hotel with such professional staff. I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Dear Mhobbis,

I was delighted to read your comments and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Your complimentary remarks concerning our Concierge staff has been passed on accordingly as it is important that our staff receive positive feedback from the most valuable source, you our guest.

We look forward to welcome you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Stamford Plaza Melbourne

Reviewed November 11, 2011

I last stayed at this hotel in 1995 and was expecting it to be old and dated. I had a pleasant surprise when I found that the rooms were fairly well maintained though not exactly modern.

Service from the front desk and concierge were good. Though I had major issues with housekeeping. One my first day I came back to my room with my nightie strewn over the phone on the bedside table. I had left it neatly folded on top of my bed that morning.

I ordered a burger from room service. I specifically asked them to cook it medium and it came super well done and as hard as a board.

I forgot to bring toothpaste with me so I asked housekeeping for some. They charged me aud4 for a very small tube. Pls also note that this hotel charges aud19.95 for Internet access.

Overall it's bearable, but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again as there are far better options in Melbourne.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank corky_c

Dear Corky_c

Thank you for your comments. I was disappointed that Housekeeping and Room Service let us down.
It was pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our Front Desk service and the recently completed refurbishment of our Suites.
The team and I would love the opportunity to have you back and show you how fabulous our Burgers normally are!

Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed here for business in early August and opted for the Stamford (over other hotels nearby) particularly for a special deal that included double frequent flyer points. The room whilst well appointed, was on the small side and the outlook was very ordinary..(into the building next door). For the most part, the service during my stay was friendly and prompt. However, it is now 3 months later and I STILL have not received ANY frequent flyer points for this stay. Despite contacting staff, the only response i've had has been two emails from the Assistant Manager assuring they will be "processed in the next couple of weeks". So, hardly 5 Star service I'd say.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Dear g d,

I am sorry you have not received your Frequent Flyer points and I apologies for the tardy follow up work from my team! We did experience a technical problem with the Frequent Flyer software, which caused the delay. My team have assured me that this has now been rectified and your points have been processed. Please contact me direct if there is anything further I can help with on this matter.

I trust you enjoyed the services and facilities the hotel has to offer and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

I had the opportunity of staying at this hotel in April of this year with my teenage son. We were venturing out in the big city - doing what most AFL footy dads and sons should do and enjoy a full weekend of watching AFL. This hotel is close to the MCG - however there is a good walk to reach Etihad Stadium.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the friendly reception staff and directed to our room. The room itself was well appointed however being on the vertical side of things over 195cm the two king single beds were small. I know you only sleep in one, but a small bed does not include a good nights sleep. The sleeping area where the beds were placed I found were confined to being too close to the window - in such a position you were sleeping with the curtains.
Word of warning, if you are a light sleeper, ask for a room further away from Little Collins Street - I could easily hear the party scene going on by passers by during the late and early early hours of the morning.

Overall if you like to try something new, give it an opportunity - we did. Would I recommed it - perhaps not.

Room Tip: Request rooms away from Little Collins Street and not around levels 3, 4 or 5.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Dear Fourlids,

Thank you for your feedback. The Hotel has completed a total room refurbishment recently, featuring many different sized rooms and beds.
Melbourne is a great city to visit and most destinations/venues are in walking distance of the hotel or a short tram ride away.

We would love to have you and your son back in the upcoming footy season to experience our refurbishment.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

If you come to Melbourne, do yourself a favor and stay here.

I am yet to this day able to find a room that compares in luxury to the Stamford Plaza Melbourne. There are 2 different kinds to choose from.

First: in the main tower where reception is located. These rooms contain marble bathroom, kitchen, lounge, desk area, small dining and king-size bed. 2 Lcd televisions, 1 in bedroom, other in the main bedroom. Absolute luxury.

Second: The rooms in the other tower where Harry's restaurant is located contain rooms like the above however with a much larger lounge room and internal balcony that looks out to the lift area. It is larger, however the first tower rooms are still quite roomy.

There are a number of TV stations and Movies to purchase.

Although I have stayed numerous times I have yet to eat in any of the restaurants. Melbourne is a food mecca and there is plenty of amazing, fresh food around to choose from.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

Dear QuinnOZ,

We are so pleased you keep coming back to stay with us and love your rooms. Make arrangements to come back on a Wednesday and try our 'Burger Special'.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

This hotel is my Employer's hotel of choice for interstate colleagues coming to Melbourne (huge pharmaceutical company). I had the pleasure of being invited to stay here too (I'm from Melbourne) on a recent weekend ocnference with my colleagues and I was really impressed. I'm not a business traveller so can't compare it to other establishments however I really liked the size of the suite, spa bath and location. We all met up for drinks on the Friday night and the hotel's bar was fab for this. The buffet breakfast was excellent too. I have no idea how much it costs -- compare it to others.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Dear Carolyn13,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Stamford Plaza Melbourne with your colleagues. Come back and stay with us again soon on a Friday, and wear your red shoes to get a free glass of Moet.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stay at the Stamford regularly for work travel, and look forward to coming back each time.
The rooms are always immaculate, spacious and well appointed, and the service is incomparable.
Small things mean alot such as the fantastic breakfast buffet, complimentary nibbles at the bar of an evening, and the smiles and friendly welcome from each and every one of the staff.
The food is also outstanding, from the killer burgers on Wednesdays, to the freshly shucked oysters in the bar on Thursdays and an outstanding room service selection, it is tempting to stay in every night!
I can highly recommend the Stamford, which has given me five star service every single time.

Room Tip: The King suites are very spacious and well worth the extra bucks.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Alison L
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Dear AlisonL,

I was delighted to read your complimentary comments and how much you enjoyed the food and service during your stay at Stamford Plaza Melbourne.

Please come back again soon.