“Unique!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
melbourne
“Unique!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

As a Melbourne resident, i stay at Sofitel Melbourne several times a year as my 'getaway'.
I have stayed at this property since 1990, and the current Accor owners have done a wonderful job in it's transformation.
The main reasons i always enjoy this hotel is its height.
Having the rooms starting at level 36, means the views are fantastic, but also what i like is the peace and quiet- no traffic noise, no screaming drunks.
The rooms are very spacious and most importantly- CLEAN!
It even has a lovely clean smell when you walk through the door!
The bathroom is marble and immaculately presented.
Front desk staff are always pleasant to me, and will welcome you back on a return visit.
Another thing i noticed is the friendliness from the Room Attendants.
A number of times i have asked them whilst they were in the halls, for some additional soaps, shower gels or even some hot chocolate sachets.
They always pleasantly hand them to me.
Another time i came back to my room whilst it was being serviced (the door open as normal). I walked in and introduced myself as the occupant.
The Housekeeper asked me to go back to the door and 'swipe' my room card to ensure that i WAS the person occupying the room.
I was very impressed, because (after recent media reports about slack security at 5 star hotels) i knew that if anyone tried to 'con' her, they would not get in my room.
Well done Sofitel!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
NSW, AUS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for four nights. The hotel itself is great and the location is good, however the service within the hotel is it's downfall.
Wearing casual clothes upon arrival, we felt like the girl who served us and checked us in thought she was on some superior level then us. It was almost as if it was painful for her to have to talk to us. However once she saw we were staying in a club room her tone quickly changed and she seemed to become more friendly. Funny that!
Whenever we travel we always choose the club level because we enjoy splurging and feeling like valued guests. We have stayed in several club lounges around the world in various hotel chains, but the Sofitels club lounge would have to be the one that is lacking the most. Where to start? There is often noone to greet you when you arrive. You basically sit yourself down and sometimes you even have to clear the table (often it was still dirty from previous guests). We are used to ordering off a menu in club lounges but this is not the case at the Sofitel. You have to get yourself your drink: grab a beer from the fridge, open a bottle of wine and pour yourself a glass or mix yourself a spirit from the bottles which are just left on the table. There are no such things as "cocktails", unless you want to buy a shaker and make them yourselves! This is also the same for coffees in the morning, however after struggling to understand how to use the coffee machine we asked the girl and she did make them for us. Also... Breakfast menu is limited to four items, there is only a selection of Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay available for white wine, beer selection is limited.... I could go on and on. But basically I would recommend you choose not to stay here if the main reason your going for is the club lounge.
In summary, the hotel is nice. The location is good although Melbourne is an easily accessible city no matter where you stay due to the tram system. The rooms are fairly generous in size and boast great views. But if you're like us and one of your major componenets for a good trip is to enjoy the club lounge, then I would suggest looking elsewhere. But if you're after a quick stopover or somewhere nice to stay without a club lounge, then the Sofitel should do the job.

3 Thank jetseta10
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

We have just returned from a 2 night stay in a Sofitel Club room (48 th floor). Whilst our stay was very enjoyable and comfortable, it was a little disappointing in comparison to other 5 star luxury hotels.
When we arrived by taxi we were offered no assistance with luggage, infact the attendant said to me "you will be able to manage your bag yourself, won't you". I don't think he asked it as a question. I didn't realise I had to take it up a public escalator to get to reception.
The hotel seemed quiet as was the club lounge, which was great however this meant there were limited choices for evening canapes. The service in the club lounge (especially breakfast) was very poor. The Sofitel in Sydney provided far more choices and superior service.
The view from our room and the club lounge was fantastic. It was worth staying here at least once for the view. Our room was very quiet and reasonably furnished. The water pressure in the shower was poor and the shower over the bath leaked all over the floor. The room size was small and although a flat screen TV is provided it was analog (didn't have as many channels as we have at home). Only several Foxtel channels are provided (again less than what we have at home) and when I'm paying for 5 star luxury I would like a little more than what I can have at home for free. Our in room coffee machine was broken. The smart pad next to the bed that contols lighting and tv was good but why hasn't the technology been updated to connect iphone/ipods to screen to watch own movies instead of just music to speakers? The system could be really outsanding.
I'm glad we stayed here but I don't think you get great value for money. We certainly will try elsewhere in Melbourne next trip for better service and facilities.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank APVCmember
Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

My partner and I just had our second stay at the sofitel melbourne for his birthday. We were greeted by speedy and efficient doormen who took care of the car and our luggage. Checkin was extremely quick and very friendly, showing interest in the reason for our stay. Room was very clean and as usual bathroom well equipped with the necessities and a good hairdryer. The man who delivered our bags checked that we could work the lights and tv system. As it was my partners birthday we were treated to a delicious bottle of complimentary bubbly (much appreciated) The one downfall is the " My bed" we did not find it at all comfortable. (we may be spoilt by a really good latex bed at home?) We had drinks and a cheese platter in the afternoon at Sofi's Bar, we were shown to a seat and then forgotten, but a really nice young waiter noticed us and proceeded to get us our order with many apologies. And in all fairness the waiter who had forgotten us did come and apologise for his oversight. Sofi's Bar is a relaxing spot to sit and enjoy some afternoon tea or drinks after some shopping. We also had breakfast at No35, it was as usual one of the nicest brekkies you could have, the serviced was impeccable. Overall a terrific stay again in a really good location, very easy to get to.

1 Thank anny65
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

Stayed in a Club Room for one night. Arrived at 11am, and was able to check in early with no problem. Room was spacious, with a 42 inch TV, DVD player, surround sound system, bathrobes and slippers and L'Occitane toiletries. Great views over Melbourne (48th floor). Bed was super comfortable with a range of pillows to choose from.

Club Lounge was great. Lots to eat and drink:
1. Breakfast - buffet and a la carte.
2. Midday Tea - breads, dips, antipasto etc.
3. Afternoon Tea - cakes, scones and slices.
4. Evening drinks - unlimited beer, wine, spirits, hors d'oeuvres, cheeses
5. Night time cakes and drinks.

Bottled juices, water and soft drinks were available all day. There is also a tea and coffee machine. Newspapers and magazines to read. Business centre with internet and printers. Free wifi internet in the club lounge. Games room with a selection of Wii and X-Box games. You can also borrow DVDs and CDs from the front desk. Definitely worth upgrading to a Club Room. We paid around $400 AUD/night.

Fitness centre was good - a wide range of machines, as well as 2 massage chairs.

oxford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2010

Stayed at the hotel for a week during the Grand Prix. Partner works for an F1 team so the whole team stayed there. Considering they worked 18 - 20 hours most days, the hotel still went along with its renovations, that meant drills going off at 7:30 am and continued all day long!!! If you get in at 4 - 5 am because of work, that's the last thing you want to hear! Management didn't seem bothered because it noise went on for the rest of the week despite many guest complaining. Who starts renovating the week of the grand prix?!?! The cleaning staff would forget to clean the glasses in the room and never refilled the complimentary coffee yet they would pass by every day to see if anthing was taken from the mini bar!!! Good thing team secretary came along, needless to say we wont be staying there next year: that's atleast 40 rooms they'll be losing out from us. We have stayed to quite a few Sofitel and this one does not come close -by far! save your money and go elsewhere. Does not deserve the "Luxury" status nor should you be paying their prices for the service & room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank canukf1
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

The front desk got my stay off to a bad start, very rude female,I booked in wearing my gym clothes after coming off of a 14 hour flight,she looked down at me and gave me very poor service. everyone should be treated the same and given top service no matter what they look like. I will never stay here again and will tell my friends to look else where.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo