“New Year's Stay”

Ranked #15 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“New Year's Stay”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had two nights here to celebrate New Years Eve and booked a room with a view. I didn't think the view would be that great but it was truly amazing! We could see the MCG, Treasury Gardens, the Yarra etc and the fireworks were brilliant. I was impressed with the service and the staff really made our stay special. They are really child friendly and I was surprised at how quiet our room was. Drinks in the Atrium bar was a highlight- even the fairy floss mocktail for our son. Breakfast on New Year's Day at No.35 was great considering how busy it was it did not feel crowded. Think I have to make this a NYE tradition and stay again.

Room Tip: If you pay extra for a view you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jeremy H, Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins. It is not often one takes the time to write with such thoughtful praise. Thank you for your positive feedback and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back in a not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This hotel has the Wow factor right from the start driving into private alleyway greeted straight away. Check-in told you've been upgraded to a superior room with views out over the bay - views to die for over Federation Square, M.C.G. just to name a couple of places. As Howler we booked Christmas Dinner Level 35 with our two grown-up sons who live in Melbourne - our whole night was one to remember. Words are not enough it was stunning, service/food/views. Loved it!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeremy H, Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing to stay at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. Your kind words regarding your experience at the hotel and the subsequent service provided by our Ambassadors is truly appreciated. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back in a not too distant future.
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Having recently experienced two other Sofitel Hotels in Cambodia, which were wonderful, to stay in, Sofitel on Collins was sheer delight. I especially love the pillows. My Deluxe King Sized room on the 40th floor had spectacular views

Room Tip: Loved the King Size Deluxe room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing to stay at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. We pride ourselves in providing the finest, most up-to-date product in the competitive Melbourne market and so we certainly appreciate your feedback and spending your precious time in doing so. We hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in a not too distant future.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The hotel is nice, just a little dated, yet still a good choice and I would have given it a better score if I did not have had a bad and weird experience a couple times with the staff and management.

It started as a simple, "sorry your booking is not valid because your first name in your ID does not match in exact spelling with your first name in your credit card and that in the reservation we have received", which soon escalated to rude, arrogant, and even somewhat aggressive behavior, e.g. not letting me speak and "remember that this is a 5 star hotel mister!", like If I thought it was a lesser one somehow by asking to be listened to, (although coming to think about this now this is exactly the behavior that really does not remind of any stars... ).

All that from the check-in receptionist when I challenged that I had other documents with me -which I presented- showing that either one or the other spelling of my name was often the case and that I explained that I have never had that issue at another hotel or elsewhere before... it is not an uncommon misspelling of the name.

I suspect the employees problem must have been something else, perhaps with overbooked hotel or a bad day so far and I was the one to pay for that and kept trying to keep my calm but the reactions were truly unprofessional (would have been so even at a zero star motel in my books..) to the point of even asking to see the manager that went unanswered, I had to go find him myself and ask his opinion and help to resolve this issue.

It was a "customer relations manager" indeed whom I saw and he stepped-in and resolved the issue with the booking, gave me a room after a wait (not ideal traveling from a long flight there) but he was also very quick trying to justify why the reception was doing such a good job ensuring the documents are correct instead of even trying to apologize on her behalf for the unreasonable rudeness.
Honestly I have not experienced such a behavior in my travel life and having stayed in well over 1000 hotels worldwide (and over 5000 hotel nights to my rough calculations) of this, of higher or of lower class.. Actually I have not even experienced it outside the hospitality industry even!

When I gave that same feedback to the hotel manager, he told me that he discussed the matter with those employees and concluded that it was just my perception that the receptionist was rude and it was not really the case and the employee regrets if that was the impression I got!

Also the hotel manager said that the relationship manager should not have given me that room per their policy and that he broke the rules and exposed the hotel by doing so!
(Seriously? what / how exactly? it was already prepaid on my card, if I did not get that room I would have simply have been out of pocket and without a place to stay!), but he (the hotel manager) is happy that the relationship manager did break the rules in that occasion and serviced me! Seriously? Oh.. that's very kind, I feel so special now..

I could not really believe these responses and decided to ignore so far but this has been long time now bugging me so I thought to write a note on the tripadvisor community might be worthy in case its not really a one off but symptomatic of something else.

Happy to be corrected nonetheless, particularly as the hotel got one of the 2013 certificates of excellence awards, and I do give this old incident the benefit of doubt and could consider as a one-off incident as I don't see other travelers complaining too much for the staff there -but there are a few more on reception quality- and would say once more that other than that the hotel was fine and the 9-course dinner at the Michelen recommended restaurant was also really-really good and I would surely consider going back to dine there when in Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John_TA14
Thank you for posting your constructive review on Tripadvisor. I would like to apologise for the service short fall especially with the arrival experience. I have forwarded the review to the Front Office Manager for further review and it also provides an excellent training tool. The Ambassador I guess was being thorough in the processing the credit card details and as you are aware in this day and age credit card fraud is high. This is not an excuse for the service shortfall in the arrival experience.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the dinner experience in the restaurant. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Melbourne on Collins in the not too distant future. I will see to that your next stay will be “Life is Magnifique” at the Sofitel Melbourne on Collins”