“Nice, but a little dated.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Melbourne on Collins

Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
Ranked #12 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice, but a little dated.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed in one of the junior suites on the 45th floor for two nights. My first impression of the room was that it looked very dated and in need of an overhaul.

The staff were courteous and friendly, but I did have to inform them that my welcoming gift was not awaiting me in the room when I arrived.

All in all, it was nice, but I did notice some details that were overlooked, perhaps because it was during christmas, (I did overhear the housekeeping staff say that they were incredibly busy, and they were still cleaning rooms at 7pm). I noticed some wrappers under the couch that were probably thrown there by previous guests and were missed when the room was cleaned.

The staff were very helpful though, when I left my suit in the room after I checked out. I realised about 10 minutes after I left, called them and explained what had happened, and after waiting a couple of minutes when I returned, one of the housekeeping staff brought it down to me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Jeremy H, Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. The holidays were indeed a very busy time for us here, however i will pass on your comments regarding the cleanness of your room to Executive Housekeeping to be discussed with our Ambassadors. I do apologise. I assure you this is not reflective of the usual service we provide here at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. I do hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed five nights over the Christmas period and very much enjoyed the experience of the Sofitel.

We opted for the Club Sofitel package and would recommend this as the views of Melbourne from the lounge on Level 35 were worth the additional cost! The breakfasts were nice and the evening canapés could easily be classed as dinner for most people! Having a spot away from the room to grab a coffee or juice and use the wi-fi is also well worth the price. The staff do try and look after you as much as they can.

Our Club Sofitel room was up on Level 49 and it was perfectly adequate although maybe a touch on the small size. However, the bed was fantastic as were the room amenities. Once we had the TV up and running, it was a very good system for a hotel with some very recent movies to choose from. The BOSE Wave radio with iPod dock was a nice touch.

The gym on Level 36 has more amazing views of Melbourne from the cardio equipment and it was fairly well decked out for a hotel gym. The massage chairs to follow the work-out were a welcome addition. The only complaint is the lack of a lap pool, sauna etc. which I would expect at a 5-Star hotel.

The real highlight of the hotels central location on Collins Street is the views of Melbourne from every angle. It certainly gives a great idea as to the scale of the city and how close the attractions such as the MCG and Rod Laver are to the CBD.

All-in-all staying at the Sofitel Melbourne on Collins was a great experience and we would definitely re-book for our next visit to Melbourne. We would also ensure we opted for the Club Sofitel upgrade as part of the deal.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. It is not often one takes the time to write with such thoughtful praise. I was pleased to read you enjoyed the Sofitel Experience. Due to the structure of the building, we are unable to build a swimming pool for guest use. We do offer our guests complimentary access to the swimming pool at the Novotel on Collins Street, so during your next stay you are welcome to use this facility. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests back in a too distant future.
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

As a splurge we decided to pay the extra for our 3 night stay over Christmas at the Sofitel and booked club rooms for ourselves and our teenage kids. I think it will be hard to get used to normal rooms again, it was definitely a level above the service you normally receive. The food was delicious and we used quite a few meals, with breakfast being the most lavish. The staff was superb and made us feel we were the only ones there!! Special mention to Jenny, who was extremely helpful in every way and always had a smile and a kind word. Our rooms were on the 49th floor, with very comfortable beds and fantastic views. Complimentary chocolates and water bottles at night time. All in all I couldn't fault it, if I had to mention something I would say I hate having to step into a bath to have a shower, which might be difficult for elderly people, but that's really the only thing.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a Club room!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. It is not often one takes the time to write with such thoughtful praise. Your kind words regarding your experience at the hotel and the subsequent service provided by our Ambassadors is truly appreciated. I have shared your caring words with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.
Warrnambool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Chosen for the proximity to the Regent Theatre and the restaurants, the Sofitel proved a great choice. Only difficulty was finding the entrance to drive in off Collins St as it isn't overly visible even though the actual building is. Speedy, efficient check in. Room was lovely and the bed and pillows divine. Great views even though we were in the lower floors - Floor 37.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. We are within close walking distance to various attractions which is why our guests choose to stay with us. The views of Melbourne are spectacular from our guest’s rooms and dining areas on level 35. I am pleased to read you appreciated your Sofitel Experience and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your guests back in a not too distant future.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was my second stay at the Sofitel and the standard remains very high. A lovely bottle of Champagne with a mini box of chocolates and welcome note greeted my arrival.

My room was on the 42nd floor overlooking Spring Street and Treasury Gardens with a lovely vista of Parliament House, the Catholic Cathedral and the Treasury building.

The room was very well appointed with an extremely comfortable bed - the mattress, duvet and pillows were all excellent and I slept soundly.

Check in and out were very speedy and all areas of staff service were high class from room service, to bell captain etc. throughout my 6 night stay.

I highly recommend the Sofitel for travellers staying in Melbourne.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I couldn't believe the difference between the the Auckland NZ hotel and the one in Melbourne Australia. The bathroom has mould in the grout around the shower area. The ceiling in the room near the air conditioning duct has paint peeling. The furniture in the room is looking tired with chips in the top surface. Even the lift doors facing the foyers have scratches and are looking tired.

Staff are friendly....but what is the issue with the French greeting????

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Antonio T
Jeremy H, Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I have taken note of your comments regarding your room and have passed this on to our Chief Engineer to add to the preventive maintenace schedule and review. I apologise for the inconvenience and hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you once again.