I travel regularly for business and always stay at a Sofitel when available as they are my prefered hotel within the Accor stable, the reason for this are two fold,
Firstly I can be assured of a consistent level of amenities, comfort and finish to the property no matter where I am and the Sofitel Melbourne ticked that box quite comfortably, it is a beautifully presented building and the rooms well appointed and maintained.
The second reason I preference Sofitel is the level of service their staff are renowned for the world over. To give you an example of this service last month when I was at the Sofitel Wentworth in Sydney (I usually stay once a month) I arrived late in the evening (10.30pm) and just wanted a meal and to finish off some work for my meeting the next morning so I rang room service and rather than just taking an order I was walked through the menu, offered suggestions and after choosing an entrée and a main was asked if I'd like desert to which I umm'd and ahhh'd over and then declined, but said I had a truck load of work to finish before tomorrow so I would probably call back with a hankering for ice cream to which we both laughed. 20 minutes later my food arrived and my table set after thanking the staff member I was trying to decide where to start when to my delight under one of the covers was a bowl of ice cream with a card which read "Meseur, try not to work too hard :) " And with that simple gesture my love of Sofitels was cemented. HOWEVER the Sofitel Melbourne lets the brand down as it's staff don't have that level of commitment to their profession or their brand. Not once in the evening did the Hotel Manager stand in the lobby greeting guests returning from their days work (Every evening at the Sofitel Wentworth you are greeted with a warm Bonsoir by the hotel manager), The reception staff proffered no personality or attempted to engage in friendly small talk which again the Sofitel Wentworth staff are amazing at engaging in this way without it ever seeming contrived or trite. And then when I ordered room service at 11pm I pressed the in room dining button on the phone and when my call was answered the staff member hadn't completed her conversation with another person so I caught the tail end of that while she had picked up the phone and then said "reception, ah sorry Bonsoir Reception" I replied asking for room service to which she said "transferring you" and abruptly did so. I then spoke to a man who had 0 personality sounded like he was in a factory it was so loud who had a phone manner akin to a KFC drive through. For a rather ordinary experience I paid $66 for the privilege of one rather subpar piece of steak cooked completely differently to how I requested it be cooked.
I think you should send your Melbourne staff on secondment to the Wentworth!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins is at the Paris end of Collins Street, in the heart of the city's premier shopping, dining and theatre district, just minutes from the famous Melbourne Cricket Ground. This award-winning hotel has 363 luxurious rooms that begin from level 36 offering breathtaking views from floor-to-ceiling windows. Each room is complemented by modern furnishings, mood lighting, LED\LCD or Plasma televisions and iPod|MP3 connection. Marble bathrooms offer automated low level lighting and French amenities.Enjoy modern dining in No35, high tea occasions in Sofi's Lounge or stylish cocktails in the Atrium Bar On 35.For meetings and events, Sofitel Melbourne On Collins is one of the city’s most comprehensive integrated hotel conference venues offering 12 individual meetings venues with comprehensive audio-visual services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, ACCOR, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Prestigia, Jetsetter, Hotel.de, HRS, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your Sofitel Melbourne on Collins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins Hotel Melbourne
- Accor Melbourne On Collins
- Melbourne Sofitel