“Pleasant but not my favourite Sofitel Property” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Melbourne on Collins

Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
Ranked #16 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth
“Pleasant but not my favourite Sofitel Property”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

I travel regularly for business and always stay at a Sofitel when available as they are my prefered hotel within the Accor stable, the reason for this are two fold,

Firstly I can be assured of a consistent level of amenities, comfort and finish to the property no matter where I am and the Sofitel Melbourne ticked that box quite comfortably, it is a beautifully presented building and the rooms well appointed and maintained.

The second reason I preference Sofitel is the level of service their staff are renowned for the world over. To give you an example of this service last month when I was at the Sofitel Wentworth in Sydney (I usually stay once a month) I arrived late in the evening (10.30pm) and just wanted a meal and to finish off some work for my meeting the next morning so I rang room service and rather than just taking an order I was walked through the menu, offered suggestions and after choosing an entrée and a main was asked if I'd like desert to which I umm'd and ahhh'd over and then declined, but said I had a truck load of work to finish before tomorrow so I would probably call back with a hankering for ice cream to which we both laughed. 20 minutes later my food arrived and my table set after thanking the staff member I was trying to decide where to start when to my delight under one of the covers was a bowl of ice cream with a card which read "Meseur, try not to work too hard :) " And with that simple gesture my love of Sofitels was cemented. HOWEVER the Sofitel Melbourne lets the brand down as it's staff don't have that level of commitment to their profession or their brand. Not once in the evening did the Hotel Manager stand in the lobby greeting guests returning from their days work (Every evening at the Sofitel Wentworth you are greeted with a warm Bonsoir by the hotel manager), The reception staff proffered no personality or attempted to engage in friendly small talk which again the Sofitel Wentworth staff are amazing at engaging in this way without it ever seeming contrived or trite. And then when I ordered room service at 11pm I pressed the in room dining button on the phone and when my call was answered the staff member hadn't completed her conversation with another person so I caught the tail end of that while she had picked up the phone and then said "reception, ah sorry Bonsoir Reception" I replied asking for room service to which she said "transferring you" and abruptly did so. I then spoke to a man who had 0 personality sounded like he was in a factory it was so loud who had a phone manner akin to a KFC drive through. For a rather ordinary experience I paid $66 for the privilege of one rather subpar piece of steak cooked completely differently to how I requested it be cooked.

I think you should send your Melbourne staff on secondment to the Wentworth!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jeremy H, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologise that we did not compare to your experiences in Sydney. We have discussed your comments with the team and appreciate your feedback. We certainly hope to exceed your expectations upon your next visit to Sofitel Melbourne On Collins.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Mooloolaba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had a lovely stay here. Hotel staff on counter were in-personable but we had a lovely staff member help us with our bags and call us a cab. Room was warm, clean and comfortable with old fashioned luxury. We had a lovely view of the MCG side of the city from our room. Great location, within walking distance of many nice restaurants, shops and bars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeremy H, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, I was concerned to read your comments regarding the serviced received by the Reception Ambassadors. Please be assured that your feedback has been forward to our Front Office Manager to review with the team and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. We look forward to the to the opportunity to welcoming you during your next stay with us.
Wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed 4 nights. 46th floor. Have stayed in a number of Sofitels but this was the worst room out of all (Paint peeling in Bathroom, dated decor). Bed was as usual very comfortable though, and views are unbeatable. Restaurant breakfasts are very good, as you'd expect. But the meal at #35 was average at best, and when we complained that what we ordered wasn't what we were given, the waiter didn't believe us. So I'd eat elsewhere for dinner.
Staff were generally Excellent, especially the Concierge, he was top class - I've never met anyone better.
So overall, nice place to go, but it was the magnifique stay you expect from Sofitels.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I am grateful for your assessment and for your detailed comments which detracted from your overall stay with us, in particular with regards to the room decor and your dining experience in No 35 restaurant, and I profusely apologise for the inconvenience caused. I would very much appreciate you providing more further details of your stay if you could kindly email me via h1902-am01@sofitel.com. I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

The hotel has some good points. The rooms are spacious, nice and comfortable, with a view. The breakfast is excellent. Staff is nice and helpful. Great location. However, there were a few things that made me hesitate to rate it very good. My internet access was terrible, which for a business stay is clearly problematic. The only place I could get patchy, limited connection was in the bathroom! And the bathroom needs some renovation. An upgrade of the in-room tea and coffee quality would be nice too.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read our Hotel Ambassadors were helpful during your stay with us. We are in the process of seeking a solution to intermittent signal strength, however am happy to install a wireless router in your room when you come back to visit us. The Duty Manager will do this in future. If you could please me directly on h1902-am01@sofitel.com with your full contact details and I will update your profile to ensure this is arranged during your next stays with us. We are currently working with designers also in order to renovate all guest rooms in 2014 and 2015. We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here for our Anniversary & we couldn't be happier!! We were welcomed with Happy Anniversary, chocolates & complimentary cocktails at the bar!! Later that night we were also surprised with a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine to celebrate!! We have never been made that welcome before in ANY 5* hotel, ( and we go away every year for our anniversary). The staff were ALL brilliant & friendly and our room was to die for. We stayed in a luxury room with corner views and all we wanted to do was just look out the windows, day & night! Loved the nespresso coffee machine in our room & the turn down service which provided free sparkling water & beautiful lavender linen spray bottle. All the little touches as well as all the big ones made our stay unforgettable!! We will be making this our annual anniversary celebration spot from now on. Thank you so much Sofitel!!

Room Tip: Luxury corner rooms are to die for!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, I was thrilled to read you had a brilliant stay for your anniversary. Thank you for your kind words about our friendly Ambassadors, I will be sure to pass on your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you during your next stay with us.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Hotel was lovely. Room excellent and housekeeping staff very helpful. Views amazing. A little difficult to find when area unknown. Only issue we had was not being able to get coffee/tea when having breakfast on the Saturday morning. This was only a minor thing and certainly no problem on the Sunday morning. Attended Christmas party in Ballroom - food wonderful and staff very attentative. All in all - the Sofitel on Collins is to be recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to all Ambassadors. I was disappointed to read that you were not able to enjoy a coffee/tea during breakfast and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back to Sofitel Melbourne On Collins.