I am sorry but my opinion of this hotel is very poor, especially compared to other hotels in the area. I cannot understand how it can seriously rate this highly (and I stay in a lot of hotels).
There was no single thing that was, in itself, terrible and there were a couple of strong positives, but it really was death by a thousand cuts:
poor shower set up (a bath tub, shower head, and swiveling glass partition), no hot water on our first night - none, poor television set up (cannot be watched from bed, though not all rooms are like this), noise all night long, terrible attitude and service at the restaurant, minimal gym facilities, limited engagement by staff, hair in the bathroom etc.
No hot water? we were offered to move rooms at 12am. No other compensation. Alternative room was smaller than the one we were already settled in, so no thanks. Noise from an alarm going off outside all night (we were on the 40th floor)? We were told it was not the fault of the hotel. That is it. When we came to check out, after one night, and 2 days earlier than intended, unable to use the complimentary "$60 food and beverage voucher" that came at the rate we were paying, I was met with the indifference of the manager (who, to be fair, was nevertheless professional and helpful in obtaining a refund through hotelclub). All this for $380 per night? You have to be joking.
I walked 200m over to the Westin with my partner and received a room that was almost twice as big, impeccably clean and bright, with a wonderful shower, unlimited movies, great views, totally noise proof, a pool (there isn't one in this sofitel), and a much better gym, all for a slightly lower rate than the sofitel.
I am at a loss regarding my experience.
My partner swears by the sofitel brand, travels weekly across Australia and Asia, and she too was dumbfounded by what we found.
Service at check-in was exceptional. Service otherwise (by hotel staff, not restaurant) was attentive and professional. These are the only positives I can think of for the stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins is at the Paris end of Collins Street, in the heart of the city's premier shopping, dining and theatre district, just minutes from the famous Melbourne Cricket Ground. This award-winning hotel has 363 luxurious rooms that begin from level 36 offering breathtaking views from floor-to-ceiling windows. Each room is complemented by modern furnishings, mood lighting, LED\LCD or Plasma televisions and iPod|MP3 connection. Marble bathrooms offer automated low level lighting and French amenities.Enjoy modern dining in No35, high tea occasions in Sofi's Lounge or stylish cocktails in the Atrium Bar On 35.For meetings and events, Sofitel Melbourne On Collins is one of the city’s most comprehensive integrated hotel conference venues offering 12 individual meetings venues with comprehensive audio-visual services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Accorhotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sofitel Melbourne on Collins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins Hotel Melbourne
- Accor Melbourne On Collins
- Melbourne Sofitel