“Highly recommended”

Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
Ranked #16 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed at Sofitel for combined business and personal.Well located to the city with easy walking distance.
The staff are very friendly and welcoming.
My room was spacious with a good view and very quiet.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Jeremy H, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, and I’m also pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay with us. It’s always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We thank you for your support of our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Melbourne on Collins

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I only stayed one night but was treated like I was staying for a month.
My room overlooked Port Phillip Bay and was on the 47th floor. This was probably the best view from a hotel room i have had. The room was excellent and the beed very comfortable.
The location is superb.

It is hard to fault the sifitel chain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over Port Phillip Bay
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, and I’m also pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay with us. It’s always a pleasure to receive positive feedback, which I will share with my team.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

From arriving at the hotel you notice the 5 star service. Check in was quick and efficient and as an Accor Platinum we got some nice extras in the room. Room was clean and excellent size wise.

The only issue I had with the room is the fact that the shower is in the bath tub and I almost fell whilst getting out. I loved the motion sensors in the bathroom though so you don't have to look for the light switch at night.

Transport outside is perfect with taxis just bye and the tram just a couple of meters away.

Excellent stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeremy H, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. I was concerned to learn that you almost fell while getting out of the shower and I sincerely apologise for the impact this had on your stay. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights to attend a meeting and was impressed by the room size, with clever angles and mirrors that make it seem even more spacious. The bed was almost too comfortable with the fattest pillow top I think I have ever seen. I was excited at seeing a pillow menu with 6 options, as usually these high end hotels favour down pillows that flatten as soon as you look at them. Unfortunately, despite ordering a few pillow alternatives from housekeeping I found they were either too firm or too soft. I seem to be just like Goldilocks when it comes to pillows. I have to say though that the U-pillow they provided was handy for watching tv in bed and I ended up using it to sleep on as the consistency was what I was used to from home.

The bathroom was great, although the shower is over the tub which can make it awkward to get in and out. There was a fabulous makeup mirror that lit up in the bathroom. In fact the lighting throughout the room was very cleverly done and could be controlled via a remote control panel on the bed side cabinet. I had to wear my glasses to read the screen, but once you knew what you were meant to press it was great.

Instead of curtains/block out drapes there was simply a privacy blind and then wooden shutters on the windows. I never thought I was claustrophobic until I closed the shutters to block out the skyline lights at night - I had to leave one ajar so I didn't feel completely boxed in. I can appreciate that it looks slick and I presume requires less maintenance than curtains but I thought the room lost its cosy touch. The only other issue was the TV remote control. I thought the battery was flat as it worked if I held it up to the screen but if I sat back in the bed it wouldn't change the channels. I left a note in the morning next to the remote control asking for the batteries to be changed, and I presume it didn't happen as I still couldn't change the channel from the bed, but had to be holding the remote within 1m for it to register.

I'd still recommend the hotel though as the location is excellent, the service wonderful and the rooms very clean.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I apologise that you could not find a suitable pillow from our range pillows we offer to our guests through our pillow menu. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed for business for just the one night, I would have been happy to stay for a few more. The bed is amazing! But there's more to this hotel than a comfortable bed - there's the service, the food, the views and the location. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our Ambassadors. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have just spent three nights at the Sofitel and can't fault it in any way. It is wonderful, truly 5 star. The location was perfect for me as I was attending a wedding just across the road at The Old Treasury building. The service was polite, attentive, warm and friendly without being over bearing. It is clear the staff have been trained to the highest standard. My room, on level 38, had a stunning view of the MCG, Rod Laver centre and right across Melbourne and out to sea. I was happy just staring out the window at all times of the day. One morning 4 hot air balloons passed right by my window. The room itself was probably the best I have stayed in with every possible facility and an exceptionally comfortable bed. A few weeks ago I stayed at another hotel in Melbourne which I disliked intensely and vowed never to return to. I would happily return to Melbourne simply to stay at the Sofitel. By the way it is quite charming that the staff greet you in French (it is a French chain) and I like the fact that they have a "Candle Master" who lights great displays of candles in the foyer each evening.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Sofitel Melbourne is a wonderful place to stay. The accomodation is new, modern and very clean. The views are spectacular in all directions especially at night time. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The location is ideal with public transport just outside the front door. The buffet breakfast on the 35th level is to die for. A wonderful place to stay in Melbourne.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I was delighted to read your comments and I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. At the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins, we constantly strive to provide a level of service that exceeds our guests expectations and I am most pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.