“The Perfect Melbourne Hotel for Business, Pleasure or Both.”

Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
Ranked #16 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed at Sofitel on Collins Street dozens and dozens of times since 1998 as well as other Melbourne top raters, but still keep going back there. The hotel is located within the northern tower of the iconic Cllins Place, and whilst having a Foyers, Bar and Function Rooms on Ground and Level 1 the hotel rooms start on Level 36 and continue up to level 50. Apart from the unimpeded sweeping views to the north and east to take in the Dandenongs and Port Philip Bay which cannot be emmulated from any other Melbourne CBD Hotel, its close location to the Theatres, Restaurants, Shopping, MCG, and Melbourne's other iconic sporting arenas make it the great all-round choice for business, pleasure or a mixture of both. A Train Station is literally on the doorstep, which opens up quick trips to and from Carlton, and the CBD when loaded up with the shopping. The Sofitel staff are extremely friendly, the Club Sofitel is one of the best in Australia, the beds are extermely comfortable, and the rooms themselves have that real plush, warming feeling. Whilst the hotel itself appears somewhat dated compared with other 5 star accomodation, there is a grandeur in the 16 storey open atrium, the likes of which would never be contemplated in a new hotel nowadays. In all the times I have stayed there over the last 15 years and it would be well over 100 stays, the bad experiences could be counted on the fingers of one hand, and as I remember, any dissatification was qucikly addressed. Whilst I have stayed in many other Mebourne CBD Hotels, its this place I always seem to gravitate back to.

Room Tip: The Club Rooms represent great value. Ask for a north or east facing room to watch the lights come...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter J
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

I was very pleased to read your comments and I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. At the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins, we constantly strive to provide a level of service that exceeds our guests expectations and I am most pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Melbourne on Collins

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the Sofitel Viaduct in Auckland and enjoyed it so much that when we were travelling to Melbourne last week, decided to see if the Sofitel on Collins was as good as its NZ cousin.
We were not disappointed. We arrived really early and were told that a corner room was available for a small extra fee. It would include a lounge area and good views. It was amazing! The views were superb and we enjoyed watching the the lights of Melbourne come on as the sun set. The bed was very comfortable, L occitane products in the bathroom great, and breakfast selection really good. The location of the hotel is great and just a short walk to the tram or down to Flinders Street.
I would highly recommend this hotel for its service and great location- will definately visit again soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Thank you for writing such a lovely review of your recent stay at the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. I am glad you enjoyed the spectacular views across Melbourne. We thank you for your support of our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

As per usual this Hotel has stood up to its reputation. Upon arrival with valet staff were
welcoming as were the front of house. We have been exceptionally happy with the
service each and every time we have stayed. Thank You.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for returning to stay at the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We enjoyed the stay very much. It was close to appointments that we had. Lovely shopping in the area also excellent restaurants.
Could not fault any aspect of the hotel, all staff were most helpful.
Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for telling us about your experience at the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. It was wonderful to hear that we made your stay truly enjoyable. We thank you for your support of our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at the Sofitel for 3 nights and really couldn't fault it. The beds were extremely comfortable, the view was lovely and the service and amenities were first class. I have stayed in some other Sofitels but thought this one was better than others. It is right at the top of Collins street so if you would rather be right in the middle of the shops then you may find it a little far out. There are some great restaurants near the Hotel and the tram is right outside your door if you want to go a little further.

I got a great deal on Wotif so not sure if I would pay the usual rate to stay there but am happy to recommend if cost isn't a factor.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found our Sofitel MyBed comfortable and the service and amenities first class. I will be sure to share your fantastic feedback with my team.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed here over Xmas, and rated the place down due to some small, niggly things that from my point of view left it just a bit short of top quality. Not enough to keep me from coming back though.

So I ventured to Melbourne again on the weekend 4/5 May and chose Sofitel again, just to see if I had been over critical, or the little things were a direct result of the time of the year.

In a word, I found it very hard to fault, from the time I was welcomed back by the staff at the front door. Check in @ Club Sofitel was a bit slow but extremely polite and personable the whole time, and I was out of there in no time really, headed to my 45th floor room, which I thought was a bit low for a club level room, but not a real concern. So I open the door to room 4507 to find myself in a Junior Suite, thank you very much for the upgrade Sofitel, would have been a bit easier on my ticker if I had've been told at check in though. Two fantastic rooms with 180+ degree views of city, bay and the old Olympic park precint, almost didn't need to go to the football.

Over the next few days, I could only question one thing. How in the hell dd the Bar Supervisor at the Atrium remember me from Xmas, and worse, what I drank!!!I could not fault the service or attitude of the staff at any time. Room service arrived within the nominated time, turndown was unobtrusive the night I was in the room, Fantastic views across the city and bay. Bed to die for, and I love the little technology touches employed. Once you sort it out it is fantastic.Club Sofitel Staff who could not do enough at any stage to help.

Check out was a dream, "well take you bag sir, go and have some breakfast and we will bring the account over when it is ready" A genuine smile and Good bye Sir as I left.

Really cannot fault Sofitel on Collins this time, and will definitely be back in the near future. The Club rooms are really worth the extra, especially if you are lucky enough to get a bonus upgrade as I did this time.

Room Tip: Go the club rooms, really worth it
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
SofitelMelb, . at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you for writing such a positive review of your return trip to Sofitel Melbourne On Collins. I am glad this time we lived up to your expectations on this visit and our Ambassadors provided you quality service. It is fantastic to read you will be returning and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I am a frequent traveller in and outside of Australia. I have stayed in many Sofitel hotels around the globe and proud to say that Sofitel Melbourne is one the best I have stayed in. Sofitel Silom Road (now the Pullman) and Sofitel Sukhumvit are fantastic in the Accor chain of hotels. Sofitel Wenworth in Sydney by far is the worst, I must say. Staff are unfriendly and arrogant. Try to avoid it if possible.

Thank you to all the staff at the Sofitel Melbourne on Collins who looked after me during my stay from 30apr to 2May 2013. Reservation staff, Lauren wood is highly recommended for her professionalism and prompt reply to all my requests. Thank you Lauren.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jonReview

I was very pleased to read your comments about the Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Thank you also for your kind words about Lauren from Reservations, it is truly appreciated. She will be thrilled to read your comments. We thank you for your support of our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.