“Great hotel & central location to transport”

Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #61 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Location.....
I stayed at the Vibe Savoy hotel in Melbourne for 3 nights in October 2010. The location is great if you need public transport as it is located across the road from Southern Cross Station where you can catch the train, taxi and buses. The airport shuttle service also picks up from the station. There is a shopping centre located across the road and the main shopping district of Melbourne is about a 15 minute walk. The Crown Casino is about a 10 minute walk. I recommend eating dinner at Lygon Street where there is an endless choice of Italian restaurants. You will need to catch a taxi there though as it is quite a far walk.
Hotel itself.....
The hotel was very modern/stylish and very clean. Rooms were normal sized hotel rooms with generous sized bathrooms. Rooms have all the necessary features, i do recommend bringing your own hairdryer if you are fussy as theirs aren't that great. Staff are courteous and helpful. We didnt eat in the lobby bar but looked quite popular.
All in all a great hotel and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank NicReview

Reviewed October 10, 2010

The location of this hotel was very good for our purpose but if you are going for shopping then this hotel is a bit out of the way. In saying that the trams are just around the corner. It's a short walk to the convention centre and the casino.

The hotel room was clean and tidy and had plenty of space but the bathroom was a bit tired though clean.

I have stayed at this hotel previously for work so was very disapointed when we were woken up by the neighbours at 4am both mornings when they had been out all night. The acoustics are shocking. We could hear everything that was said and were kept awake for hours.

Based on this I don't think I will be staying here again for work or leisure.

Reception staff were friendly and efficient with a quick check in and check out.

We didn't eat in the hotel as so can't comment on the food.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobsieB
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I went to Melbourne with my partner and was looking for a hotel that was central, had a couple of nice bars and wasn't too expensive but still nice.
The first thing I noticed was that there were two single quilt covers on a queen size bed! Looking back at the pictures I think you can actually make this out but still very unusual and a messy night sleep. The sheet which you lie on covering the matress did not even cover about 5-6 inches from the bottom of the bed. (Room service were in 3 times and did not fix this).
The restaurant and curve bar are only open Monday - Thursday and we were there for a week-end. The advertisements are misleading in this respect as people should be aware of this when they book (It might be an off season thing but should still be highlighted). The remaining bar at the entrance closed very early(9-9.30). It did still serve snacks when the main restaurant was closed. The lady behind the bar took our money and orders for drinks and gave my partner his and then told me she would bring mines over (it was a cocktail) as she had others to serve first. She proceeded to serve several others and brought mines over 15 minutes later when my partner had finished his drink.
I really wanted a bath but it was a bit stained and I did not fancy lying in it.
The internet did not work in our room.
The mini bar had bottles of beer but two (which were twist caps) had been opened previously and refilled with water and the lid put back on.
In the hotels defence we did not complain about any of these things. The only one we pointed out was the internet and they were willing to move our room but it was our last night anyway so we didn't take them up on their offer.
Good Points: Central location.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynsey001
Reviewed August 27, 2010

My room was a bit tired. Although it had everything necessary, the bed was hard and the pillow was not comfortable. It is a three, not a four star hotel. There is a gym advertised but it is really a small exercise room with some equipment. The pool looked nice but in winter of course, it was too cold to swim. Breakfast is over-priced.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank oliverAustralia
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Wished I'd read the other reviews before i went. Make sure you don't have a connecting room and I don't know what was going on up on the 9th floor but the thumping was so bad I almost called down at 1 am for a room change, but couldn't admit I'd gotten old enough to become one of those people. Instead I put the i pad on and was really glad that one my son had nagged me to buy it and two that I had put some music on it the day before. Invest in ear plugs if you visit. Bathroom could have been cleaner, breakfast hideously expensive considering small range and lukewarm. Why is it that no hotel will offer eggs cooked to order? Only continental or big buffet breakfast - sweet or fat? Great choice. Special mention for the bartender - terrible. On the plus side all the reception staff were great, friendly and efficient I like a quick check in and check out. If you want to stay in this end of town try the oaks on market instead. Average, certainly not the advertised four stars.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank OyaTao
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My daughter and I stayed for a shopping/fun weekend, and it is the perfect location for hopping around the city. Initially we were given a room that adjoined another, which was OK the first night, however the second night the neighbors were having a great time, and we were entertained by their fun conversations, however it wore a bit thin after 2am! The locked door between us did not keep out the noise. So if you are booking a room, ask for one that does not adjoin! The lovely staff moved us the next morning, and we were given a lovely big room, that was very quiet. THANK YOU to whoever organised this. In short a lovely stay, and highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This was the second time I'd stayed at the Vibe Savoy for business, and this time the experience wasn't quite as good as the first time.

I stayed on the 5th floor, room 501, but unfortunately it was a bit close to the (very old) liftwell. It took me a while to realise it wasn't the nearby train station I could hear but the lifts going up and down. Not enough to interrupt sleep, but noticeable.

Other than that, I like the hotel. The room was nice and clean if a little small, the bed firm and nice, the bathroom and toilet not brand new, but very clean and solid. Reception is very helpful, very easy to check in and out, and helpful when anything is requested.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business