“Affordable, shabby but clean”

Mercure North Melbourne
Ranked #150 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed there recently with two others. Our room was very cramped, but was clean. It was definitely in need of an upgrade, but I was assured that this was being planned. The room was on the first floor facing the street and was quite noisy. The staff at reception could not have been more helpful and friendly. They were able to give advice about the trams and printed off information about other attractions for me. I didn't use the restaurant so have no comment to make about this area of the hotel. I don't think the air conditioner worked in the room, so I had to have the window open which made it noisier than it should have been.
My main gripe about the hotel was the cost of WIFI, which at 75c a minute (capped at $29.00 per day) was daylight robbery. Fortunately I found a cafe just down the road which had free WIFI so I was able to use that to keep up with business emails. This was a major headache for me and I really think the provision of cheap or free WIFI should be mandatory in a large hotel chain.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank alimay47
There are newer reviews for Mercure North Melbourne

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Whilst our grandson was in RCH this was an ideal stopover....we also loved our Restuarant meals.....and the convenience of proximity to the hospital. Trams close by was an added bonus for a quick trip to the city

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
The_Hotel_Team, General Manager at Mercure North Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Its is wonderful that you have taken the time to pen your appreciation. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back with us again.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Gungit
The_Hotel_Team, General Manager at Mercure North Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is not the most luxurious hotel. We stayed here because of its proximity to Melbourne Fringe events. On the upside, the bed was comfortable and the food in the restaurant excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful. On the downside, no wifi in room, $29 per day for internet, and $12 per night for parking, (not valet).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Hotel_Team, General Manager at Mercure North Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear liz77_12,

Thank you for taking the time to provide you valuable feedback. Our staff are our most important asset and I am very proud to note they were able to provide the friendly service our guests have come to expect.

We are currently negotiating pricing with the internet provider and are confident we can provide cost effect quality internt options to our guests in the near future.

We endeavour to maintain a competitve price structure across all facets of the business and I believe that our parking costs are the most inexpensive in comparison to our competitors.

Once again thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked a king room, but when we checked in we were actually placed in a 'superior queen room' (which we didn't notice until measuring the bed). There was a sofa (stained) and a bath (also stained), which apparently made this room an 'upgrade.'

Only upon enquiring with reception as to what we actually booked and paid for, were we transferred to another room, with no apology or explanation as to why we were put here anyway. The noise from Harker street was really loud during day and night, due to no double glazing on windows. Noise from other rooms was also a problem. The bed and TV were the only things in good condition. Carpet stains throughout the hotel, and in the bathroom the tap felt like it would come off everytime you lifted it to run water. The shower was old, and you couldn't even use the soap holder as it was coming off.

Really disappointing overall, as I would have happily spent more at a CBD location had I known our comfort would be compromised due to these features. Staff were friendly, but unfortunately nobody seemed to care whether we enjoyed our stay and we were not given an explanation of our booking error at any stage. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Harker Street if possible (quite loud due to hospital nearby- ambulance si...
1  Thank Stephanie D
The_Hotel_Team, General Manager at Mercure North Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Stephanie D,

My sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had during your recent stay at the hotel. I am extremely disspointed that none of our staff offerred an apology and I have addressed this with each and every one of our Front Office team to ensure this is never repeated.

Once again my sincere apologies and I do hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Clean rooms, nice location close to city and good access to airport, very friendly and helpful staff.
Secure parking is always comforting. Reception staff were exemplary. The room that we had was very large.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ken P,

Appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback. The team at the hotel endeavour to exceed the expectations of every guest and I am delighted that we were able to to deliver during your stay.

Look forward to having you stay with us again!