We intially booked this hotel due to its location as we were off to see Mama Mia and wanted to then do some serious shopping. So location wise this place is great, perfect, even to drive into and parking was a breeze. Having said that with such a central location comes a trade off, street noise! Like other reviews have said this place is very noisy, if it wasnt the street sweeper it was the bottles being emptied to the crane that was doing goodness knows what at 6am on a Saturday morning, to the room shaking everytime the room next to you used their shower or toilet. I understand that the hotel cannot control the noise however you need to be aware of it if you are wanting a decent night sleep. What is also noisy which the hotel can do something about is the heating and cooling, thankfully it wasnt that cold on our visit and we didnt need the heating at night.
Now to housekeeping, or perhaps their lack of!
1. Mould in the bathroom, in the grout in the shower and the basin drain, along with on the ceiling in the shower, Im not talking about the odd bit but everywhere, like they have never been cleaned properly
2. Dirty walls, it looked like coffee had been splatterd on one of our walls I grabbed a face washer and wet it and it came off very easily and its not like it was on a part of the wall that was hard to see, however I dont really go on holidays to clean the hotel Im paying to stay in.
3. Our coffee table had not been cleaned since the last guest or however many prior, it had finger marks on it, not to mention a brown sticky stain and old crumbs stuck to the table, which again I cleaned off so we could then put our food on the table.
4. One of the cushions on our couch fell came out when we got up, imagian our disgust at the stale food we then found under the seat, biscuits, M&Ms, and even an old tissue...
5. The foyers are very dirty and un kept. As I think others have said you get out of the lifts on your floor only to look straight down at the fraying carpet, which isnt what I had a problem with it was all the fluff, and dirt, old leaves, white flecks. Im not sure how often the foyers are vacumed and I understand they are high traffic areas however Im thinking they need to be done a little more regularly.
Trust me Im no clean freak, however the level of cleanliness left we somethat dissapointed and somewhat grossed out along with our travelling companions who experienced similar ssues in their rooms.
The good bits are as a I said location, our rooms were large (had a queen suite) bed was comfy, staff very pleasant, although the poor young lady who tried to check us in was having to constantly answer phones while trying to check us in which wasnt overly personable, not her fault though, the bar is great and good value great size glasses for wine! Car parking was easy and cheap compared to others however as Ive said noise and cleanliness are huge issues for this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rydges Melbourne is conveniently located in Melbourne's CBD, in the heart of the Theatre precinct on Exhibition street. With over 290 guest rooms and 70 suites. Rydges Melbourne is home to Locanda Italian Steakhouse Restaurant and Bar, featuring the best steaks from nearby Yarra Valley, an good variety of pastas and other mouthwatering options. Located in close proximity to Bourke Street Mall shopping, a block away from the Paris End of Collins Street boutiques and in walking distance to Rod Laver Arena and the MCG, Rydges Melbourne is a great choice if you are wanting everything at your doorstep. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Booking.com so you can book your Rydges Melbourne Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Rydges Hotel