Rydges Melbourne Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$130
$124
$240
$172
$89
$80
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$137
$120
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$96
$72
  • Free Internet
Citadines on Bourke Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$195
$107
$85
$77
  • Restaurant
Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$74
$69
  • Restaurant
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$137
$113
  • Fitness center
$290
$233
2,473 results
All reviewsqueen spa suitelocanda restaurantexhibition streether majesty's theatrerooftop poolbuffet breakfastclose to china townlate checkoutan upgradebed was very comfortablebourke streetcar parkinglocation is excellentcentral locationcbdmcgcheckin
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Check was quick and easy, right across the road from Mama Mia theatre. Checked out room before going to show, air con was on and room nice and cool. After show back to Hotel for evening meal which was part of package deal. Food was of good quality and cooked to perfection. Nice bottle of wine to accompany meal. Service from staff in restaurant was excellent. It was a hot day and we then sat outside on balcony from the bar area watching whatwent by, while enjoying cold beer and my wife a nice cocktail.
Great atmosphere. Only down side was few smokers out there as well, but I guess they have to go somewhere. Room was reasonably clean if a bit small. but ok for an overnighter. Air con was needed to be left on all night due to heat but it was reasonably noisy. Car parking was included in the package and although it was a very crowded car park, the attendant got us a spot and did a good job. Breakfast next morning was good except that the knives are a strange very heavy type and hard to hold on to. Brekky was good, however if you are waiting for the chef to cook you an omelette or eggs you are standing in the way of people trying to go to the bay maries for the hot brekky food. Got quite congested. On the whole though very good, and handy to city

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

Thank you for your review of the hotel following your recent visit to Melbourne. It was pleasing to read you enjoyed the experience at the Locanda Restaurant and that the convenience of the location assisted in the overall pleasre of being in Melbourne.

It was disappointing to hear there were issues with the air con, there are approx 50 new units being installed currently, hopefully this will rectify any noisy units.

The egg station with the chef is unfortunately not well located with the busstle on the busy days of other guests accessing the buffet, he does a remarkable job in cooking the omelette's and fried eggs to order when we can have over 300 people through for breakfast in busy weekends. We will certainly review the system to see if we can make it less congested for these occasions.

Hope to see you return when Mary Poppins starts in July at Her Majesty's across the road from the hotel; it should be huge!

Regards

Reviewed April 16, 2010

great value for money especially for seniors become a Rydges club member and join seniors club for significant discounts.Rooms were clean and I love the comfortable dream beds Good location close to public transport and taxis/Very impressed with staff all staff were very helpful and friendly

• Stayed: April 2010
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2010

It was very pleasing to read you benefited from the good value some of our clubs have to offer and that the staff provided the friendly service you enjoyed. Melbourne has one of the best public transport systems in any Australian city and to be able to jump on a tram and go into the city in minutes is very handy.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

This hotel exceeded our expectations. The location is very convenient to so many things. The beds really are as good as they claim. Parking is under the hotel so very easy to access & your parking ticket is paid for at Reception. This has become our preferred place to stay in Melbourne now

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

It was very rewarding to read your review and that the hotel ticked the boxes of an enjoyable stay in Melbourne. I appreciate that it is not always the positive comments that people take time in sharing and it is always nice to have them to pass onto the hotel team. I am glad to see you enjoyed the location and the beds provided a comfortable nights sleep.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

A short weekend stay on Valentines weeknd was made even more special by the friendly and courteous staff, from the parking valet on arrival to the speedy checkin. Room service was excellent value and quality. The rooms were spacious, beds were amongst the best I have experienced in my global hotel stays.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the review of the hotel following the stay over the Valentines weekend. It was pleasing to read you had positive impression following your stay and you enjoyed the location and the Rydges Drean Bed, which we get many positive responses on. I also travel quite a bit with my regional role and am pretty fussy with the beds, I find the dream beds to be the best I have slept on as well, I actually purchased one for home!

Reviewed April 5, 2010

What a dump. They have spent some money refurbishing the lobby, but don't let that fool you. The rooms are outdated and neglected. We thought we would select the King Spa Suite - supposedly the second best room type in the establishment - and I tell you now, you could not pay for us to stay there again. We booked for two nights, but on the first night at 11.30pm we called reception to say we would check out in the morning, as we would rather be at home.

Our first experience coming up from the carpark in the geriatric lift saw it malfunction so badly that we and another couple jumped out because we were so worried it was going explode. Then after checking in we took another set of ancient lifts (in far worst condition than the carpark side of the hotel) with strings from the carpet all straggled over the place (how about cutting them off guys?) and taking about 15 second to take us from ground floor to the 3rd floor.

Once we reached our "suite", aside from the assault of tragically out-of-date decor when we walked in, the carpet pulling up from the floor in waves, the brown brick wall and whirly bird vent view, and the fact that the couch seat cushions were in disarray as though someone had been jumping on them, we were prepared to overlook this and enjoy our stay. We noted that there were no in room movies offered, despite what the website says, and the in room dining menu has been removed from the guest guide.

We tried to have showers prior to meeting friends for a show and dinner, and found the cold tap would not work. The handle just spun in circles and came off in our hand. How would the cleaning staff not have discovered this? Reception sent maintenance fix the problem, and were greeted by a man in a suit with a toolbox. Turns out this is the night receptionist, who moonlights as a handyman, and anything else that is required after 6pm. We left him at it and had to go to dinner without showering, and upon our return at 10.45pm we found a note saying he was unable to fix it but the raw pipe handle can be used (was very hard to turn, we needed a cloth to protect our hands) and someone would look at it the next day.

We then thought a bite of dessert might be a nice way to end our evening, so I called reception to enquire as to why there was no in room menu for the supposed 24 hour dining. The receptionist said he would send one up shortly, however 15 minutes later I received a call from a rough mannered person from room service, saying they don't have any menus. But if I wanted anything he would tell me what's available. The following is verbatim: "We've got fries, pies, pies & fries, sausage rolls & fries, pizza..." you get my gist. I thanked him for his time and said I would call back if we needed anything. Deciding it would be better to have a cup of tea and to open the in room Maltesers, I sat down to my snack, only to chomp on a rock textured ball. Checking the useby date, I found they were beyond by 5 months. Lovely.

Whilst trying to settle in for the evening, The first battle was with the falling down curtains. Hoping to block out most of the light, we discovered at least a foot at the centre of the curtains had come off the rail. I tried to reattach, but it was impossible. This meant that each time to joined them together in the centre, they pulled away from the walls, and vice versa. Also the very old air conditioning units (floor bound, free standing types) were making so much noise and shooting out freezing air intermittently, but it was too warm with them off, we knew we weren't going to have a good night's sleep.

We are expecting a baby in 3 weeks time, so sleep is very important to us. That is when we decided were would be better off at home. Our last 'city getaway' before the baby's arrival was a bust. Luckily we hadn't travelled far for the journey.

One thing I won't fault for the hotel was the staff. They were very friendly (despite being slow at check in/out times) and were a pleasure to interact with. But it doesn't make up for the crappy product Rydges has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gradom
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2010

It was appreciated the time obviously spent in the detail provided on your recent poor stay at Rydges Melbourne. As you may imagine it is very alarming and quite concerning to read of this type of experience at the hotel. Although the hotel suites require an upgrade, there is no excuse for poor maintenance or housekeeping attention to detail. It only exasperates the general impression of the hotel.

I can certainly appreciate being a father myself how important it is to have a nice break prior to the hectic time your will have when the baby is born, I apologise that this was spoilt by the lacklustre approach the hotel had with servicing your room. Although a small part of the experience, it was good to read that the service was friendly, this obvioulsy does not make up for your poor stay and would appreciate being able to make it up to you both.

Your sincerley