“Great Hotel - fantastic firendly and helpful staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #79 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Great Hotel - fantastic firendly and helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

Stayed at the Rydges Melbourne, actually I am a Rydges Priority Club Member. (free membership with great discounts). The hotel although a little older in style has a great location in the city, easy to access with good onsite parking. Best part of this hotel is the staff, always friendly and helpful. From the front desk to restaurant the service is always first class. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Would have to recommend them strongly and they offer real value.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
It was pleasing to read of your positive comments from your stay at Rydges Melbourne and that you benefit from the RPG club membership. It ws also pleasing to read of your impressions of the servoice and staff, as they do their best to present a great impression for our guests.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

Arrived at check in to be greeted with almost an hour long wait due to "computer problems". At the end of it all was offered an in-genuine apology and a bar credit. Doubt I will be coming back which is a shame as the the room itself (Queen Spa Suite) was very nice, clean, quiet and bed was great.

Was also told there would be parking available but upon arrival the car park was full! So had to roam the city looking for a spot that didn't cost me as much as the room itself!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
It was disappointing to read that you encountered issues on check in at the hotel. I am sure the hotel staff would have been under the pump if this was the case, and although may have appeared insincere in their apology, may have been due to the pressure they were under.

The carpark is managed by Wilson's Parking and it does get busy in there on occasion depending on the shows at the theatre across the road. They should be leaving spaces for guests in the hotel, however if the hotel is full this also places pressure on the spaces as well.

It was disappointing to read you won't be coming back.

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

I love the stay in Rydges. If you sign up to priority member then you get early annoucements on sale plus you get complimentary cocktail at the bar. The room is great..the deco..the plasma tv..the service was great..close to china town..there was even a guest laundry if you need to use one..It was handy for us since we stayed there for more than a week! The security in the basement carpark was also nice. I would definitely go back and stay there.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to Melbourne, it was pleasing that there were positive aspects on your experience at the hotel and you enjoyed your time in the hotel and the city. The hotel enjoys a great location for travellers, close to everything and only a stroll to the Bourke St mall shopping precinct.

Regards

Tasmania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

My collegue and I travelled to Melbourne for a 2 night stay on business. We had seperate suites at $144 per night each. We were both very disappointed having stayed in many other Melbourne locations. My room was very small with just a single chair in the corner. The shower was tiny, so tiny that if you were a large person there is no way you would fit in it, to add insult to injury it had a shower curtain and no bath. There was no shampoo but two body lotions. The fridge was noisy. At 2.00am in the morning I had to call reception because of the noise next door. The beds may be comfortable but the street noise and neighbour noise is dreadful. I complained next morning and the staff were very obliging and moved me to another room which was much quieter. It was not much bigger but at least it had a bath. The restaurant/ bar is good but my collegue and I decided to sit outside and have a drink as it was a lovely balmy evening, 3 times we were approached by undesirables off the street wanting money or cigarettes. I stayed several years ago in a one bedroom and it was enjoyable, so if you want to stay here that is the room I would pay for. My collegue and I both decided that we should have changed hotels after the first night and sorry, but I would not stay here again given the choice and I will not be recommending it, there are plenty of much nicer hotels to stay at in Melbourne. To top everything off, today I noticed a charge of $3.50 on my credit card for a bottle of water which I paid cash for at checkout, at the time explaining to reception that my room was already paid for by my company and that I needed to pay for the water myself. I phoned today and whilst I was asked whether I had a receipt (which I didnt) they would deduct it from my card in the next few days. After such a tiring stay it was very disappointing to have this happen on top of it all.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JenniTasmania
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2010
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at Rydges Melbourne. The hotel rooms are quite comfortable for our average travellers, we have large suites with larger bathrooms available for guests who require more room or are here for a longer period and require a bit more space for clothes etc.

It is unfortunate that the alfresco area attracts people wanting money and cigarettes, it is the same along the Bourke St outside dining area and is difficult to control unless the staff are there and can stop them. It is not pleasant and they are all informed of the space being private property, however this obviously means little to them. Generally they are harmless, and other than annoying move on their way without incident.

It was disapointing to see you will noy be staying again, I hope you will enjoy a good deal at the next property you select.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

I generally don't really enjoy hi-rise places; but once I got used to it I really enjoyed gazing out over the city, day and night. I'm generally used to smaller city travelling so it was a bit of a shock to walk into the foyer/reception are of a really busy CBD hotel. Enjoyed the cosmopolitan flavour though. Ate out a fair bit at the hotel for evening meals; once again it was busy but the food was enjoyable. The rooms were small, but clean and functional. What I didn't really enjoy about the inner-city aspect was the cramped parking. You really had to concentrate hard to meet the tight parking requirements. You only pay for each exit, and I was required to be out every day. It would have been great to park the car and leave for a week and only be up for just a 1-day parking fee. Maybe next time I'll capitalise on this situation.

Really enjoy staying inner city sometimes; this was a really central location for me. It would be a great place to stay if you weren't car-bound.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
It was appreciated the time spent sharing the details of your stay at Rydges Melbourne, the views from some of our rooms are fantastic, we are fortunate to not be hemmed in by too many towers allowing for great views over the city or the parks on most sides. It is unfortunate that the parking is sometimes tight, but it is manned 16hrs a day and the attendnants from Wilsons Parking are generally pretty good in assisting in some of the tighters locations.

The $15 per exit fee is the current rate commensurate with other parking in the area, casual rates paid can be upto $40, so it works out fairly cost effective.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

Near city sights. Good business and tourist hotel. Very good breakfast and bar scene. Lent us blankets for Penquin Parade tour. Staff nice. No complaints.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback on the visit to Melbourne. The top end of the city in the 'Broadway' of Melbourne has become a great environment for visitors with excellent variety of bars, restaurants and theatre. It is also very safe in comparison to some of the other locations in the city and hence the good support from the the family market on weekends.

The penquin parade at Phillip Island is just as popular as it was twenty years ago, this time of year, we have a good supply of blankets for our guests heading down there as they don't arrive until late approx 830 -9pm as it gets dark.

canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

My mum & I stayed on the 21/2/10 in a spa suite. It was a mother/daughter trip I'd organised to see Jersey Boys.
Mum & I have stayed at many hotels over the years & together we could not fault your hotel. Not only was the room amazing, the service was sensational.
We arrived early around midday and were instantly impressed with the room being already available for check in. We enjoyed an afternoon by the pool and what a top location - on the rooftop!
Whilst we had chosen to eat elsewhere, we were also impressed with the menu options at Locanda. After our meal, we chose to drink in the bar at Locanda and this was just lovely. Everything about your hotel is a pleasure to look at, be at and stay at.
The location of the hotel was perfect for us given that we were going to the theatre though never did we imagine it to be so fantastic.

Five stars all around and we are already planning a return trip to see Cats in a few months, staying at our new fave hotel Rydges Melbourne.

Thank you to RYDGES for providing a hotel that made my Mum's trip so fabulous, I am so appreciative of the service your hotel staff provide.

I will undoubtedly recommend your hotel to my friends, family and work colleagues.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank lozmaree
Thank you for your review following your stay at Rydges Melbourne with your mother. The location is very convenient for people seeing one of the great shows in one of the theatres nearby. We do try to make rooms available for guests as soon as they arrive rather than being strict on a 2pm in check in time. If the rooms are vacant and ready they should be made available for the guest's convenience.

I hope your stay with us will be as good when you are back to see Cats, there's also Mary Poppins coming in July/August to her Majesty's across the road, this is the Australian premiere and it's reviews from the US have been very good, it should be a fantastic experience.