“Were returning guests- Never again!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #79 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Kent UK
“Were returning guests- Never again!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

We were returning customers to Rydges Melbourne having enjoyed a week stay a year ago. Then we even meet one of the Managers who sent e-mails to us saying how great it was to meet us & to contact her if any help was needed with future bookings, we also joined the Priority guest scheme.
However our latest visit was not as enjoyable & possibly one of the worst hotel stays we have ever had & we can only confirm Many of the negative points raised by other reviewing guests.
Positives, rooms on higher levels are reasonably well appointed with comfy beds, lcd tv & the pool is a big bonus, as is the hotels good location for CBD, chinatown, theatres & sports venues- but thats where it ends.
We had exchanged e-mails with the hotel prior to arrival requesting certain room/floor & advising our Priority members detail, but on arrival we had a room on a different floor adjoining the lift shaft, which was fairly noisy. Nothing was recorded re our Guest membership & any benefits attached to this were not offered until we later advised staff who then set the wheels in motion (ie welcome back drinks). We were only able to use this priority guest card against certain drinks in the bar which was never made clear.
Housekeeping standards have fallen, we regularly had insufficient towels left in our room or tea/coffee (1 tea bag on one occasion for a double room) it almost seemed they were providing for single occupancy.Hot water supply was problematic -appearead there was an airlock or pressure problem, & despite leaving our room early most days & putting out the 'please make up room sign' we often returned to find the room being or still to be made up at 4pm.
We had to phone housekeping for Pool towels on 2 afternoon occasions as no clean or used ones were in evidence (presumably they had never been provided). On one afternoon Non guests (2males) were using the Hotel pool in a very antisocial way. Eventually a group of women who were being pestered by the males had to leave because they were so upset. They complained & 2 female staff attended & tried to eject the non guests, but needed to call on male staff to assist. The pool is in an access controlled area & should only be available to guests & this gives some concern regarding how non-guests could have free run of other guest only areas.
Bar service was poor & one evening when it was quiet, despite standing at the bar with cash & guest card in hand the barman who had clearly seen me, gave priority to others who came up to the bar for service. Was this because they were regulars, locals, or wearing suits as opposed to me who is just a tourist?? Disgusted by this we left & asked reception for a feedback/complaint form. We completed this immediately & handed it in & offered to discuss matters with a manager. We were never contacted and on our departure some 2days later we handed in another feedback card with virtually the same comments. Did we hear anything regarding this -No. during our stay we even helped with a photo-shoot & were offered a complimentary drink for our assistance- did we ever get this or hear about it -No
On our return to the UK we e-mailed the manger we had had dealings with previously who has sent a reply confirming she has passed the matter onto someone else- that was a week ago & still we have heard nothing. It appears indicative of their service & whilst whilst some staff at reception were very pleasant & polite others were very curt & bordered on downright rude.
A great shame & complete contrast to our visit a year ago when we felt welcome & valued -standards & service have clearly slipped & it is unlikely we will be returning here again & its probably unlikely we will ever get a detailed response to our feedback forms.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ollymac_9
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2009
I have read your review with disapointment and apologise that your recent experience here was not up to standard and was worse than when you last stayed.

Rather than going through your list of items here, I will be sending a further note to you in support of the one already sent from the Director of Sales following your correspondence to her.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

We stayed at Rydges over Valentines Day on a City High Dinner package. Firstly, I signed up as a Rydges priority guest prior to making this booking. We got priority check in and check out, as well as a complimentary drink which was great. The Dreambed.. I think I liked my bed better! The room was comfortable and we had a lovely view of Melbourne. Noise wasn't too much of a problem but there were a few teenage boys next door to us and I can't blame the hotel for that!
Our dinner was excellent but when it came around to breakfast, we were asked to pay(even thought it was included in our package.) This was quickly sorted out and everything was fine.
Overall, not a bad experience. Friendly staff and lovely food.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nata8ha
Thank you for the comments noting your recent stay at Rydges Melbourne. I apologise that there was a messup with the billing for breakfast, but glad to read they sorted it out promptly for you. This package is very popular and hopefully will have you back in the future with some great shows coming up such as Jersey Boys and Avenue Q.

Geelong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

I have just returned from a night at Rydges for a supposed relaxing night without the kids and have a good night sleep. I reserved a King spa suite. I opted for this as it had a large spa bath and not for any other reason. When booking on the website i requsted check in for 2pm.

We arrived at the hotel at 4.30pm and the room was not yet ready. We were told to go and wait in the bar and was given a free drink voucher, would have thought it would have been 2 for our inconvenience. Bar prices are very expensive.

We went out for dinner and arrived back at the hotel to find the car park was full and were told if we wanted to park there we had to leave our keys with the wilsons parking attendant. I would have thought that there would have been a better place for guests to park.

The spa was less than average. The jets were hopeless. The presure coming out was like it would be from a running tap. The toilet wasn't much better and had to be flushed 3 times to get the paper down. The tv reception was rubbish. We were seeing 2 of everything all night.

We asked reception for some clean towels and waited over an hour and a half but nothing.

The curtains were the most annoying part of the stay. The ones in the bedroom would not close properly and had clips missing and we were on the 4th floor where the flood lights are that shine up the building. In the morning we were hoping to have a nice sleep in (first one in ages as we have a 7 month old), but ha as if. Come 5.30am the sun was shining in the gaps in the curtains.
Then we had some horrible noise coming from outside which was quite loud and annoying. So either way there goes the sleep in.

I did find the cleanliness of the hotel the best part. So well done Housekeeping. Having worked in this department at many different hotels i am very critical when it comes to this and I can honestly say that i found absolutely nothing wrong with this area of the hotel.

I'm not really sure what the priory guest profile is for. I asked for high floor, i got 4th floor(1st guest floor), asked for a view and got the view of the top of a building next to us with flood lights.

Overall, was not the relaxing night I was hoping for. Would not stay again.

• Liked — cleanliness of room
  • Disliked — broken curtains
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank what_a_j0ke
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2009
Thank you for your feedback on your stay, your points were taken very seriously and the room was reviewed with the housekeeping and maintenance department.

We apologise that the stay did not live up to your expectations.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2008

Having read the previous reviews, I looked around for another hotel but in the end, decided to stay.

My opinion? I'm glad I booked Rydges as this is a genuine 4.5 star hotel. I was on floor 11, so cannot comment on lower floors but the room/bed/view were all excellent. Yes, the toilet is up against the door but everything was of a high standard otherwise.

If you are planning to stay at Rydges, sign up as a Priority Guest as you get a significant reduction: I used it to upgrade to the King Size room. Also, prepay for breakfast as it is outstanding. You also get 20% off everything in the restaurants, bars etc.

Only minor glitch during my stay was a group of stupid teens that occupied 3/4 rooms on my floor and decided to party. It took 3 calls to reception to get it sorted but they handled it fairly well.

• Liked — Location, The Breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank EndOfTheStorm
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2009
Thank you for your constructive review of the hotel, it was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your experience. My apologies on the noise generated from some other thoughtless guests, we do try to manage this immediately when we either notice there could be something brewing in a room or if we get a call it should be actioned straight away.

It was disapointing to read this noise issue was not handled immediately, it will be addressed with the manager on duty, it should be a priority if we get a noise complaint and the guilty parties should either stop making noise or made to leave the property.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you visit the city, the ues of the RPG card is a great way to save money by booking on line and also getting benefits of discounts whilst in house. There is generally a special on each month that you can take advantage of.

Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2008

I add my voice to the other reviewers here.

I've stayed regularly at Rydges Melbourne and have found it to be great each time - until I made the mistake of booking a queen suite spa.

A warning to anyone thinking of booking here - do not book the 'spa' suites. They are on unrenovated floors that can only be described as absolutely foul. We're grateful staff quickly moved us to a room in the renovated part of the hotel, but very annoyed that there was no mention when booking that the rooms were utterly substandard.

Only other warning - don't bother booking breakfast at the hotel. It was terrible and we were both ill the rest of the day. It isn't the standard we've seen at other Rydges. Better to wander up the road to Pelligrini's for a real coffee and panini.

But I can recommend the Executive rooms, especially the King Rooms. They are really nice and have great views over the city. And if you like to be near China Town, the hotel is in a great position.

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank CanberraOn_a_holiday
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2008
Thank you for your feedback on you recent stay at Rydges Melbourne. Your comments have been taken on board and will be discussed to endeavour to address your concerns - in particular that breakfast was not of a good standard considering the focus on this area from the hotel.

Opinions are quite subjective, there is a considerable percentage of guests who utlise the attractive rates offered for the large rooms on the lower floors that quite enjoy them.

london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from a 5 weeks vacation to Australia and spent our last night a Rydges on Exhibition Street in Melbourne.

We found:
1) The bathroom door was hanging off its hinges
2) The metal plate to the toilet flush was hanging off the wall
3) when the toilet seat was lifted the toilet was flushed & if the seat was left in the "up" position water just continued running.
4) It was only possible to sit almost sideways on the toilet because it was partly under the wash basin console.
5) The towel rail was hanging off the wall
6) The noise from the lift ventilation system was constant and intrusive
7) The foyers were rowdy
8) The staff were unconcerned and unhelpful.

My wife and I would only recommend this hotel to anyone who was desperate as it was by and far the worst experience we had in Ausralia where we stayed in 19 hotels.

I would counsel extreme caution before using this establishment

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank David P
Thank you for your feedback it was very much appreciated. The items you have noted have been raised with housekeeping and maintenance to rectify.

We apologise that this experience was the wrose you had in 19 hotels when you were here in Australia.

David
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2008

I dont know if I am allowed to refute my previous glowing review but I am afraid that I have to ..I cannot in all honesty let other travellers read my review and think that this is THE place to stay as it so obviously isnt and it is only the beds that have kept me coming back ...but not for much longer.

Before I go on I want to stress that if I really llike something I give credit where credit is due and I review accordingly but the deterioration in service and quality at this hotel has moved me to refute my original review in order to make sure that other travellers are warned.

Since I first discovered this hotel in early April I have been a frequent return guest - back at least every two weeks for 3-4 days at a time and sometimes coming back week in week out. During this time I have seen the service at the front desk go down, the food in the restaurant DEFINITELY deteriorate to the point that I cannot eat here any more and the rooms I have been given gradually slide down the scale to the point that I am thinking of checking out tomorrow even though I am booked in for the week and I have nowhere else to stay (I only just arrived tonight). I am just so annoyed with the service and the standard of the rooms now that I am a regular. As for the food.....I stupidly ordered room service tonight even though I vowed last week I wouldnt order anything here again and as I write this my meal is still sitting here - totally inedible. I think the more frequent a guest you are the worse you get treated to the point that today with the dreadful room I have been given I have decided that this is the last time I stay here and I recommend others to try elsewhere. When I was first staying here I had nice rooms, away from the garbage trucks, with nice views. And so I thought all of the rooms were nice and that's how I reported about this hotel in here ....but beware....some of the floors are quite horrible and the rooms equally so. Some of the rooms have so little space to move around in ie the room I am currently in has barely enough room to work in comfort or move around in because when I sit at the desk the chair back touches the bed. This is not good when you have to use the room as a place to work in. I cant get up and down or move around without bumping into something. I am also on a lower floor even though it states in my profile that I like to be high up because I cant sleep if there is any noise - I am dreading the garbage truck chorus tomorrow morning.

So this is really a warning to people - that you may well end up getting a grotty room and regret your stay ...or you may end up with an ok room and enjoy your stay. It is a lottery which sort of room you get and it looks like it is a lottery that the loyal guest misses out on.

PS: I havealso returned the Guest "Your Impressions" cards a couple of times with comments about my increasingly lousy stays but to date not one person has bothered to follow up even though "impressions are [supposedly] important" to them. It will be interesting to see if anyone bothers to respond to this review

• Liked — The beds
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank BrisCaz
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2008
It was disapointing to read the note you submitted on the hotel. The hotel team do their best to accommodate your individual needs, including spending time with you one on one at guest drinks to discuss your oprinions on the food and hotel.

The last lengthy guest impression card you completed I undestood my second in charge who you got along with, spoke with you personally on your comments. It is certainly not the policy in the hotel not to respond to guest comments, and we take their feedback on board. The menu will be changed this Wednesday and I am sure will be well received.

It is unfortunate to read that you have chosen to go elsewhere and trust you will enjoy your time at the new property you have selected for your accommodation.