Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #85 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 1, 2008

I add my voice to the other reviewers here.

I've stayed regularly at Rydges Melbourne and have found it to be great each time - until I made the mistake of booking a queen suite spa.

A warning to anyone thinking of booking here - do not book the 'spa' suites. They are on unrenovated floors that can only be described as absolutely foul. We're grateful staff quickly moved us to a room in the renovated part of the hotel, but very annoyed that there was no mention when booking that the rooms were utterly substandard.

Only other warning - don't bother booking breakfast at the hotel. It was terrible and we were both ill the rest of the day. It isn't the standard we've seen at other Rydges. Better to wander up the road to Pelligrini's for a real coffee and panini.

But I can recommend the Executive rooms, especially the King Rooms. They are really nice and have great views over the city. And if you like to be near China Town, the hotel is in a great position.

Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank CanberraOn_a_holiday
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2008

Thank you for your feedback on you recent stay at Rydges Melbourne. Your comments have been taken on board and will be discussed to endeavour to address your concerns - in particular that breakfast was not of a good standard considering the focus on this area from the hotel.

Opinions are quite subjective, there is a considerable percentage of guests who utlise the attractive rates offered for the large rooms on the lower floors that quite enjoy them.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,327)

Reviewed November 5, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from a 5 weeks vacation to Australia and spent our last night a Rydges on Exhibition Street in Melbourne.

We found:
1) The bathroom door was hanging off its hinges
2) The metal plate to the toilet flush was hanging off the wall
3) when the toilet seat was lifted the toilet was flushed & if the seat was left in the "up" position water just continued running.
4) It was only possible to sit almost sideways on the toilet because it was partly under the wash basin console.
5) The towel rail was hanging off the wall
6) The noise from the lift ventilation system was constant and intrusive
7) The foyers were rowdy
8) The staff were unconcerned and unhelpful.

My wife and I would only recommend this hotel to anyone who was desperate as it was by and far the worst experience we had in Ausralia where we stayed in 19 hotels.

I would counsel extreme caution before using this establishment

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank David P
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2009

Thank you for your feedback it was very much appreciated. The items you have noted have been raised with housekeeping and maintenance to rectify.

We apologise that this experience was the wrose you had in 19 hotels when you were here in Australia.

Regards

David

Reviewed September 15, 2008

I dont know if I am allowed to refute my previous glowing review but I am afraid that I have to ..I cannot in all honesty let other travellers read my review and think that this is THE place to stay as it so obviously isnt and it is only the beds that have kept me coming back ...but not for much longer.

Before I go on I want to stress that if I really llike something I give credit where credit is due and I review accordingly but the deterioration in service and quality at this hotel has moved me to refute my original review in order to make sure that other travellers are warned.

Since I first discovered this hotel in early April I have been a frequent return guest - back at least every two weeks for 3-4 days at a time and sometimes coming back week in week out. During this time I have seen the service at the front desk go down, the food in the restaurant DEFINITELY deteriorate to the point that I cannot eat here any more and the rooms I have been given gradually slide down the scale to the point that I am thinking of checking out tomorrow even though I am booked in for the week and I have nowhere else to stay (I only just arrived tonight). I am just so annoyed with the service and the standard of the rooms now that I am a regular. As for the food.....I stupidly ordered room service tonight even though I vowed last week I wouldnt order anything here again and as I write this my meal is still sitting here - totally inedible. I think the more frequent a guest you are the worse you get treated to the point that today with the dreadful room I have been given I have decided that this is the last time I stay here and I recommend others to try elsewhere. When I was first staying here I had nice rooms, away from the garbage trucks, with nice views. And so I thought all of the rooms were nice and that's how I reported about this hotel in here ....but beware....some of the floors are quite horrible and the rooms equally so. Some of the rooms have so little space to move around in ie the room I am currently in has barely enough room to work in comfort or move around in because when I sit at the desk the chair back touches the bed. This is not good when you have to use the room as a place to work in. I cant get up and down or move around without bumping into something. I am also on a lower floor even though it states in my profile that I like to be high up because I cant sleep if there is any noise - I am dreading the garbage truck chorus tomorrow morning.

So this is really a warning to people - that you may well end up getting a grotty room and regret your stay ...or you may end up with an ok room and enjoy your stay. It is a lottery which sort of room you get and it looks like it is a lottery that the loyal guest misses out on.

PS: I havealso returned the Guest "Your Impressions" cards a couple of times with comments about my increasingly lousy stays but to date not one person has bothered to follow up even though "impressions are [supposedly] important" to them. It will be interesting to see if anyone bothers to respond to this review

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank BrisCaz
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2008

It was disapointing to read the note you submitted on the hotel. The hotel team do their best to accommodate your individual needs, including spending time with you one on one at guest drinks to discuss your oprinions on the food and hotel.

The last lengthy guest impression card you completed I undestood my second in charge who you got along with, spoke with you personally on your comments. It is certainly not the policy in the hotel not to respond to guest comments, and we take their feedback on board. The menu will be changed this Wednesday and I am sure will be well received.

It is unfortunate to read that you have chosen to go elsewhere and trust you will enjoy your time at the new property you have selected for your accommodation.

Reviewed August 28, 2008

Don't bother going...I booked 30/7/2008 to stay from 30/8/2008 for 4 nights to 3/9/2008 and had booking confirmation 30/7/2008 with total cost of Queen Size Bed, 4 Breakfasts and 4 Dinners for 2 persons on confirmation given...Then 27/8/2008
the Bookings Manager, then the Duty Manager said 3 days beforehand, what I had booked was really the $299 per night package and sorry we are no longer honouring your booking despite confirmation...

So instead of using good public relations and customer service skills to overcome this situation, for the sake of 4 breakfasts and 4 dinners for 2 people-hardly a costly out of pocket sum for Rydges; and honour the booking contract, they used poor judgement and said: "Sorry, no! "

Then the Duty Manager had the cheek to demand, I let them know
straight away, while on the phone or certainly at least 24 hours hours before; otherwise they would charge my credit card given in good faith for the booking confirmed by them 4 weeks before!

"Hello!?"

Who would want to stay at a place like this?

So, now I am counting the cost both financial, stress wise and personal, and as a Minister of Religion, have never been treated like this before at any hotel; anywhere in the world.

Stayed: August 2008
6  Thank TheMinister
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann - General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2008

Packages loaded on the Rydges Website are quite clear on what they include as is the area where you book room only rates.

The hotel procedures are to check any reservations and in particular anomolies such as what you have described. If a conflict room rate vs comments etc is picked up, the hotel tries to confirm what you actually want when you book a room only rate but make notes in the comment line that you wanted dinner and breakfast included.

The confirmation you have elluded to is an automated confirmation; this was confirming what you booked, ie. a room only rate over the dates requested. The auto-confirmation does not pickup any comments that may have been made, as it is generated from a computer.

The hotel is generally quite open to discuss honouring rates if the hotel or staff have mis-quoted a rate, however on this occasion, the website states quite clearly what is a package and what is a room only rate.

I trust this has cleared this matter up for you.

Reviewed August 12, 2008

Rydges, Melbourne.
My partner and I stayed at Rydges for a night in July 2008. When we arrived we waited 25 minutes to check in as the football was on that evening and people were everwhere. Whilst we were waiting, 2 separate families complained that they had been given the wrong rooms with not enough beds. They were advised that all of the rooms were fully booked and they were unable to make any changes.

We finally checked in and were glad to leave the noisy foyer which also smelt of kerosene or something similar from the fake fire that was burning in the foyer. The fumes were terrible.

We entered our large room which was an older part of the building that had been partly renovated. The heater was ancient and made a lot of noise and the furntiure was worn and quite grotty. The TV was huge but could not be watched from the bed due to being fixed to a side wall. I wanted to leave but we had booked through Quickbeds.com and our rate was $250 - non refundable.

I decided to run a bath and noticed that the shower screen had been puttied up really badly and the grout around the bath was falling out in chunks. As the bath was running, a large chunk of grout fell off into the bath. I abandoned this idea and grabbed one of the robes from the wardrobe and put it on. I stuck my hand in the pocket of the robe and found a used tissue. It was obvious that it had not been through the wash at all, which meant that the robe had not been washed since the last person wore it!

We went out to China town for dinner and came home quite late, unable to watch TV in bed, unable to have the heater going due to the noise it made, and annoyed at the whole situation.

I must admit though, that the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!

We have written to the Manager but, at this stage, have not heard back regarding our complaint. We will not be returning to Rydges and do not recommend anyone else do either. We will also not be using quickbeds.com as we have used them twice and both times have been given dodgy rooms!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sherabyl
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann - General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to communicate the issues with your recent stay at Rydges Melbourne. I apologise that the room was short on delivery with regard to a good impression. I take on board your comments and will address with the maintenance and housekeeping teams. If you'd like to contact myself direct, I maybe able to assist with future stays.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed August 4, 2008

I took my girlfriend here for a romantic weekend and we ended up making six calls to reception between 9pm and 6am regarding wild parties and noise in the rooms down the hall.

Ironically, we were never the first caller as every time we called to complain, the reception told us that someone had just rung and that the manager was already on her way up to let them know.
The walls and doors were paper thin and we were 4-5 doors up from the offending party. I feel for the guys shacked up next door to them.

On leaving, the hotel staff admitted that there were up to 10 people staying on one of the rooms and the whole thing culminated in a 60 minute shouting and swearing match with police whilst they were being evicted and asked to pack their things at 5:30 in the morning.

To make matters worse, the only staff on all night were a female receptionist and female duty manager. They made a bunch of calls during the night to police requesting attendance but it didnt stop the noise until the point they were evicted.

Easily the worst nights accommodation I have had and I spend about 150 nights a year or more in different hotel rooms across the globe.

Oh yeah - and when I complained, the "Customer Service" rep offered me a 20% discount off "that nights accommodation" - a saving of $40 to give up a nights sleep!

I have never written an online review or complaint letter/e-mail in my life and expect that some hotels will be better than others and not all hotels will always have the things they promise.

In this case, our experience was so bad and the hotel staff's solution so pityful that I felt compelled to warn fellow travellers about this bunch.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PerthPhil

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Rydges. It was very alarming to find that there were a young group of party guests on the floor and I believe after much communication from the hotel team needed police to remove them from the property. As explained to you directly after I received your first comments, the hotel procedures on these types of events on weekends is generally quite strict, unfortunately due to the intimidating nature of this group, the front desk team were not strong or quick enough to remove them from the hotel without the disruption you experienced. This has been addressed and hopefully should not happen again.

Reviewed August 3, 2008

Stayed at the Rydges for a conference in July and I am really puzzled by the negative reviews. It pretty much is what I would expect from a 4.5 star hotel. I was on the 18th floor and the room was huge, very clean and really well appointed, although it would be good if the TV wasn't fixed in 1 direction, so you could watch it in bed. The bed itself is probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in, it seems to be one of those pillow top type beds, which you sink in to - fantastic. The room was quiet and had a good view of the CBD and room service was good and came right on time.

The reception staff were also top notch, it took no more than about 5 min to check in and about the same to check out, without any fuss at all. Had breakfast as part of the package and apart from having the slowest toasters in the world the food was great and it is really good to get real coffee offered as part of the service.

A great hotel, with good package deals that I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Coatsey

Thank you for your feedback. The positive feedback is most welcome. The LCD's have just recently been installed and unfortunately the brackets for some of the rooms that needed to swivel were not ready in time, but should be completed in September. Appreciate the comments on the Dream Beds, they generally receive favourable comments and I know when I travel interstate, I look forward to going to bed knowing that it will be a great, comfortable bed.

I apologise about the toasters, I agree they were very slow, we have recently replaced these and believe the new units are a lot quicker!

Thank you again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back.