“Average stay, average price, good location”

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #84 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Very good location in the heart of Melbourne. The building is a bit old and showing its age, even though the rooms have been done up. They are small, but comfortable. The price is very reasonable for the location. Service is good, as expected really. So if you need a good place in the middle of Melbourne, at a great price, and are happy to not have something flashy, but just 'average', and unless you are going to spend a lot of time in the hotel room, then this place would be ok.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review David. It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed the great location of Rydges Melbourne and the endless number of entertainment and dining options within the area. We are currently in the process of renovating the exterior of the building as well as a number of areas within the hotel, so we do hope to welcome you back so that you can enjoy the new changes.

Wishing you all the very best for the year ahead.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

It started rocky which I'm not used to actually. I usually find the staff really helpful and nice, very accommodating as well.
Upon check in we were served by Claudia. I can't say I felt we were greeted warmly and the slight purse in her lips did not make us feel any better. I gave all the information necessary and thought that just like the last two times we stayed we could go up stairs promptly and settle in. However this time we were asked to pay a bond on a credit card. We questioned the bond and we were told new policy meant we had to pay one and that this had come into action in the last 6 months. Two of our stays had been in the last 5 months........ Policy is policy but neither my partner nor I were happy with the way it was handled. Being brushed off is not pleasant. Finally we were checked in and this time unlike the other stays we were left to lug our own bags up stairs. Lets say I headed up stairs with a little rage in my system which took me a bit of time to relax from.
The room was neat and tidy aside from a condom wrapper under my bed and the dust and dried liquids I found on the glass shelves in my bathroom.
We had dinner at Locanda on the first night. The service was BRILLIANT. I wish I could remember the lovely girl who took care of us I think she was managing that evening. While there were no tables she booked us in for 8 meaning a short wait and had our food cooked and ready for not long after we were seated. The food was really good and very tasty. I look forward to eating there again. It was the highlight of our stay.
The rest of our stay was pleasant enough. The check out wait was really very long compared to other stays where I went up said I was checking out and left. I guess policy has changed on that too.
DON'T make the mistake of drinking the mount franklin bottles of water on the side table. We found them both on a side table with NO SIGNAGE and so assumed as with 4 star hotels that they were complimentary. The charge to my credit card begs to differ and the reception staff member i spoke to about it once i noticed the charge seemed somewhat uncaring about the mix up. Even if you don't think you can do anything sometimes you should at least try to or find out if you can.
Until now I really sung Rygdes praises to everyone but this experience has changed my view and where I was once really happy about the membership and using Rydges for all my stays this experiance makes me hesitant.
If we stay with Rydges again I hope next time I can write a better review.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your very detailed review Kitty. Firstly, I would like to apologise for not providing the service that Rydges Melbourne prides itself on. Customer satisfaction is so important to us and it is disappointing to hear that the level of service provided to you on some occasions did not echo this. I will pass on your feedback regarding the front office service to our Manager and ensure that this is addressed immediately. It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience in Locanda and the staff and Chefs will be thrilled to hear that it was most enjoyable. Kitty I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again in the near future and ask that you contact me prior to making a reservation so that I can personally handle your booking. Wishing you a very safe and prosperous 2014.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We booked through Wotif and the price was very reasonable. As we were unfamiliar with Melbourne our choice was based on price. However, we found the location to be excellent. Staff on the reception desk were friendly and Amy (concierge) managed to get us excellent seats for King Kong on the evening we arrived.

Although the fixtures and fittings seemed dated (particularly the bath), everything was adequate, although will need refurbishing shortly.

Tip: Housekeeping may not make up your room until at least mid-afternoon.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It was very pleasing to read that you enjoyed prime positioning of Rydges Melbourne and were even able to enjoy a musical whilst in town! I will pass on your feedback to Amy, she will be thrilled to know that you were happy with her fantastic service. We are currently in the process of updating some of our rooms so we do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future to enjoy the changes. Wishing you all the very best for 2014.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We got a special deal on a room here whilst visiting the city, we only stayed for one night out of three planned as it was not a great experience. The main problem was a couple in the next room started to have a big fight in the middle of the night and woke us. In the morning we asked to change rooms if they were staying anymore nights. The guy on the concierge abruptly refused our polite request as it was not his fault. We would have risked another night but the rooms were not up to much and looked a little tired. Are bathroom was a little dirty also. Hope it was just a one off but. Well located though.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review Carrie. Firstly, I would like to apologise for not being able to provide you with the stay that you had hoped for and that we aim to provide. Your feedback regarding the front office staff is most concerning and I will ensure that management address this immediately. It was pleasing to hear that you found the hotel to be conveniently located. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and ask that you contact me so that I am able to handle your booking personally. Wishing you a safe and prosperous 2014.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family came over from Malaysia and stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. We were pretty disappointed to say the least. First of all, we requested for a set of connecting rooms but did not get one even though we were convinced during booking that we will get it. It was difficult for my family of five to spend time with each other having to walk across the corridor to go to each others' rooms. Second of all, the reception staff were NOT the most welcoming people. As someone who has stayed in hotels in Washington DC, Pittsburgh, Singapore, Hong Kong, New Zealand and London, I have to say that Rydges Melbourne's staff was the least welcoming and least hospitable! It was as if they didn't want us there! Thirdly, they forgot to make-up one of our rooms during one of those nights and when I called Reception, they were not very reassuring in terms of sending one of their staff up to clean up immediately. I am not sure if this was due to the high labour costs in Australia. Fourthly, there were inconsistencies in terms of facilities available in both rooms. One room had a safe while the other did not and we paid the same price for both! To make things worse, the only safe available was low in battery and when I called reception to fix it, their reply was: 'We can't guarantee that we can fix it during your stay'. What sort of answer is this? Rydges staff are digging their on graves in terms of marketing themselves. Fifthly, the televisions were lousy! It took 3 seconds to change from one channel to another. Ironically, both rooms' television sets were consistent in this case! Finally, when we checked out, they did not even say things like: 'We hope you enjoyed your stay' or 'Come back soon'. They probably anticipated we will never ever do that again!
In conclusion, I think Australia/ Melbourne/ Rydges needs to buck up if they want to strive to be competitive in the international hospitality arena. From this experience, it gave me the experience that they don't give a damn! NO free newspapers, NO free breakfasts, and NO free or discounted parking for hotel residents! It is bad enough that Melbourne/ Australia is the MOST EXPENSIVE places to visit/live. This made matters worse! BUCK UP!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review K C. I do apologise that we were not able to provide you with an enjoyable stay and we do sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding this. It is not at all acceptable that you were made to feel as though staff were not welcoming or hospitable and I will personally discuss this with relevant management to ensure this is addressed promptly. I am also sorry that you were not made aware of our complimentary newspapers located on the ground floor. We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to Rydges Melbourne so that we are able to provide the exceptional level of service that we pride ourselves on. Please contact me personally prior to booking so that I am able to handle your reservation. Wishing you and your family all the best for new year.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here overnight when we saw Grease across the road at Her Majesty's theatre. Great location for the theatre- a few hundred metres away. We got a great deal on wotif and whisker the room and bathroom were small (especially the bathroom) it was perfect for an overnight stay. The buffet breakfast had heaps of choices and they layout if the restaurant made it feel less busy that the breakfast at many others.

Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your feedback Gillian. It was very pleasing to read that you enjoyed Rydges Melbourne's close proximity to Her Majesty's theatre (just across the road!) and a number of many other entertainment and sporting venues. It was also great to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable rooms as well as the delicious offerings at the Rise Buffet Breakfast. We do hope to welcome you back to Rydges Melbourne when you are next in town.

Happy new year and best wishes for the year ahead.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

worse place i have ever stayed,apart from an english hotel accross the road, with people fighting, yelling until the early hours.not sound proof windows, street cleaners start at 5 am.
room old, not what booking.com had stated,we were meant to have a spa in the room and a bath.
the fold out bed was like sleeping on a rack, no support, the quilt with the queen bed had more spaces in it than filling, air conditioning was freezing hard to change.
had to ask for tea bags etc we bought our milk as they didnt replace the tiny amount they gave. pool on top,gym = 2 bikes +1 walker

Room Tip: dont go here pick another hotel.