“Outstanding service Rydges - Preston”

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #84 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I recently stayed one night at Rydges in Preston as it is close to Austin Hospital and I was visiting my brother.

I realised after Ieft the hotel and Melbourne that I had left two boxes of chocolates in the hotel mini bar.

The chocolates were very special not able to be purchased in Australia and I had bought them for my brother.

I contacted the hotel / housekeeping and the chocolates could not be located and they said they would call back.

A week later I had given up all hope and the housekeeping staff called me to say the boxes had been located in the fridge door.

I was very taken aback that they had gone to this trouble to followup. Not only that, the supervisor personally delivered the chocolates to my brother in hospital.

I think this is outstanding service, honesty, and generosity.

I would like to wish Rydges housekeeping staff and supervisor a wonderful Christmas and New Year 2014.

Jillian Clarke

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,327)

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here last week, and found the hotel to be convenient to public transport.
Bourke street and Collins street are an easy walk for trams that will take you to any Melbourne attraction easily. Chinatown is really close for a variety of great meals.
The hotel breakfast buffet is great- such a great variety of food and nicely laid out with plenty of papers to read on the weekend. My room service burger was delicious on Monday night.
The theatre precinct is close by, but as I was travelling alone I did not want to walk the streets at night.
My room was large, although the bathroom was small & shower recess ridiculously small. There is no where in the shower to put toiletries, & I had to resort to using the toilet seat. There was no bench space available in the bathroom for basic toiletries or applying makeup either, and the light in the queen room was poor.

Despite those things I'd be happy to stay here again as overall this hotel provided what a needed, including location, comfort & security.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Peta T
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for your detailed review Peta. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotels fantastic location and the great eateries and entertainment venues that we are surrounded by. It was also great to hear that you were happy with the breakfast options (it certainly is very impressive!). I will pass on your feedback regarding the Queen room, we appreciate hearing this as it helps us to continually improve our offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Melbourne.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Great location in the heart of Melbourne, with an easy walk to shops and theatres. The hotel is neat and tidy, although some aspects can do with an upgrade. Service is first class, and the restaurant is a must. Can be a bit pricey at times, so watch out for specials that include meals & parking.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rudi_van_Zyl
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thanks for your review Rudi. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and the high level of service offered by our hard working staff. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed dining at Locanda Italian Steakhouse. Our Executive Chef and his team work hard to produce a menu that we are extremely proud of and they will be thrilled to hear your feedback. Our packages certainly are a great way to get the most out of your stay and often include breakfast, drink vouchers, dinner or car parking. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you to Rydges Melbourne again in the near future.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Have stayed here 3 times now and have been happy with the service.
Very professional and friendly staff. The secure parking underneath is great, and has been free in the last 2 visits.
This business though where hotels hit you with a surcharge for using a credit card, which they do here, is a pain and has to stop.
Would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barrycc

Hi Barry, thank you for your review. Firstly I would like to thank you for your continued loyalty to Rydges Melbourne. We certainly pride ourselves in offering a very high level of service and it is fantastic to know that you are continually happy with our service. The parking is certainly a big benefit to guests who may be arriving with or hiring a car and allows multiple entrants and exits for those wanting to explore the city surrounds. Thank you for your feedback regarding the credit card surcharge, I will pass this on to management for you. We look forward to welcoming you to Rydges Melbourne when you are next visiting.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I found the staff at this inner city hotel to be friendly and efficient. I found the location to be excellent ad many shops, cafe's bar and restaurants surround the area including some world famous names such as Guy Grossi around the corner. An early check in wasn't available but my bag was in the room on my return and my request for a higher floor was met and exceeded as I was placed in a room on the top floor. The bathroom wasn't large but I didn't experience any of the space issues mentioned in previous reviews and i'm a big man. Yes the tub/shower was more off white than snow white but it wasn't dirty it was just old. I found the bed to be comfortable and the pillows nice. The arm chair was a plus too. This is a very good property and next time I'm in Melbourne on business it will be on top of my list.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the Bourke street side for some views
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nicktaz

Thank you for your very positive review Nick. It is so pleasing to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel including our friendly service and great location. Rydges Melbourne is lucky enough to be surrounded by some exceptional eateries, shops and entertainment venues and we are so glad that you were able to make the most of this. It is also fantastic to hear that your request was met and were able to enjoy the views over this magnificent city (we really do love it!). We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Melbourne when you are next in town.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I usually stay down near Swanston St but in future will return to here. Typical upmarket business travellers hotel. Good room - decent size, nice to have a chair to sit in to watch TV, comfortable bed, choice of pillows, clean bathroom, nice toiletries etc etc Check in staff and concierge were both good too. Nothing to complain about - a comfortable nigh'ts sleep.

Sure, there could be free wifi but unfortunately, in Australia, it is not offered as standard. Guy Grossi's 'Florentino' is just around the corner if you're after a good meal,George Colombaris' 'Gazi' on the same St and also good to eat at, very close to Spring St, the museum, on the edge of Chinatown, handy trams to Fitroy & St Kilda in the cross st. Short walk only to the Mall.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ryanpiller
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for your review Ryan. It was fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Rydges Melbourne is conveniently located within walking distance to some of Melbourne's best shopping centres, entertainment venues and restaurants and it was great to hear that you were able to experience some of this! It was also pleasing to hear that you were happy with the room offerings including our very comfortable 'Rydges Dream Bed' (www.rydges.com/dreambeds). Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in town.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We were quite surprised how nice but small this hotel was. We were able to check into our room a little earlier that the original check in time. The room was really neat and very comfortable. We found the room got very warm during the evening and upon turning the air conditioning on, it was very noisy throughout the night.
The staff were very good and extremely helpful when needed. We will be returning again as we did enjoy ourselves.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris T
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for your review Chris. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the service received throughout. Although we do have 363 rooms we do aim to provide a personalised service to each and every guest, and it was great to hear that this was the case for you. Regarding the air conditioning unit, I will pass on your feedback to our maintenance department to ensure this is looked at, thank you for making us aware! We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Melbourne when you are next visiting.