Rydges Melbourne Hotel
$195
$176
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$208
$93
Radisson
  • Restaurant
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$158
$240
$210
  • Pool
Alto Hotel on Bourke(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$95
$90
$147
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$179
$104
  • Room Service
$252
$162
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$182
$143
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
2,522 results
All reviewsqueen spa suitelocanda restaurantexhibition streether majesty's theatrerooftop poolbuffet breakfastclose to china townlate checkoutan upgradebed was very comfortablebourke streetcar parkinglocation is excellentcentral locationcbdmcgcheckin
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Stayed at the Rydges for a conference in July and I am really puzzled by the negative reviews. It pretty much is what I would expect from a 4.5 star hotel. I was on the 18th floor and the room was huge, very clean and really well appointed, although it would be good if the TV wasn't fixed in 1 direction, so you could watch it in bed. The bed itself is probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in, it seems to be one of those pillow top type beds, which you sink in to - fantastic. The room was quiet and had a good view of the CBD and room service was good and came right on time.

The reception staff were also top notch, it took no more than about 5 min to check in and about the same to check out, without any fuss at all. Had breakfast as part of the package and apart from having the slowest toasters in the world the food was great and it is really good to get real coffee offered as part of the service.

A great hotel, with good package deals that I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Coatsey
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann - General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2008

Thank you for your feedback. The positive feedback is most welcome. The LCD's have just recently been installed and unfortunately the brackets for some of the rooms that needed to swivel were not ready in time, but should be completed in September. Appreciate the comments on the Dream Beds, they generally receive favourable comments and I know when I travel interstate, I look forward to going to bed knowing that it will be a great, comfortable bed.

I apologise about the toasters, I agree they were very slow, we have recently replaced these and believe the new units are a lot quicker!

Thank you again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 2, 2008

I have stayed at Rydges Melbourne on several occasions prior to this. I have stayed in a Deluxe Twin Room and Deluxe Queen Room and they were lovely - in particular the Queen room which had a stunning view of the parliament house and was very spacious.

This time I decided to try the Executive Spa Suite. With this being the most expensive room in the hotel I had high expectations... and boy was I wrong! Such a disappointment.

My first observation was the carpet in the hallway of the floor we were staying on (5th floor). The carpet was old, warn, and wrinkled/rolled up in places.

The door to our room was old and chipped.

Inside the room there were several large (and obvious) bleach stains on the carpet. All of the wooden furniture was either stained, cracked, chipped, or all of the above.

The two-person shower was a great idea but under one of the shower heads the tiles were extremely rough and worn as if the cleaners had used the wrong kind of cleaning fluid and stripped off the surface. Very unpleasant indeed! The other shower head wouldn't point in the right direction - it insisted on turning to the wall so I had to hold it in place to use it.

The blinds were automatic and operated via a switch on the wall which would have been very nice if it worked properly, but there were wires running horizontally along the window (I assume so that back in the day when the windows were allowed to be opened, guests couldn't fall out the window?) but some of the blinds got tangled up in these wires. The middle blind was torn at the bottom (perhaps caused by these very wires?).

The Rydges website states that the Executive Spa Suite is "pure indulgence" but I think it would be better described as "purely outdated" or "pure disappointment."

Next time, if I decide to stay at Rydges Melbourne, I think I'll downgrade myself to a Deluxe room and save myself the bother (and expense) of the supposedly luxury room.

Having said that, I have always found Rydges Melbourne to be an excellent hotel when I stayed in the Deluxe rooms. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, and the hotel is in an excellent location. I hope in the future that the Executive rooms can be modernised because they probably would have been nice a decade or so ago. They have great potential with the corner spa and spacious lounge, but in their current state they're really not worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank drusinator

Thank you for your feedback on the accommodation at Rydges Melbourne. I have reviewed your comments with our maintenance team and we will action these items raised. It is certainly disapointing to read that your experience was tarnished by these areas in what seemed to have been an indulgent weekend away. Please contact me direct if there is anything further I can do to assist.

Reviewed July 16, 2008

Once upon a time the Rydges was a comfy family friendly hotel rated 4.5 stars. (no way) As a Farmers Federation member we would get a great discount and head to the city for the football theatre or shopping and Rydges on Exhibition was our home away from home. It was an institution for country folk.

We were booked in for 3 nights in a Queen Spa for 4 and ended up changing on the last night to the Windsor our stay was that
horrible. Previously we had stayed in a King Deluxe (despite booking the Queen Spa) during the renovations. That stay was pretty miserable but we put it down to the renovations.

Where do I start?
The windows no longer open.
Although the beds are new they are lumpy.
Two bathtowels for 4 people.
Mould in the shower.
Toilet flush button was hit and miss.
Broken lampshade.
Tired decoration so soon after renovation.
Had to have housekeeping come up with linen and make up the sofa bed.
First day waited 20 minutes for a coffee at breakfast, 2nd day 30 minutes.
Dinner in the restaurant is overpriced. Ordered the duck it was overdone and was not offered another dish and still had to pay for it.
If you smoke, forget Rydges, the only rooms available to you are way up on the 10th floor and just standard rooms. Or you have the choice of taking 2 lifts to get to the swimming pool or stand on the street to smoke.
On checkout at least 6 groups trying to check out with one receptionist.

The responses from management are a cop out. Just because you have changed the beds and given them a name does not mean they're fantastic. The renovation is not a full renovation either. A change of soft furnishings and partial change of furniture does not make a full renovation.

Management needs to take on board the bad reviews and improve. Not defend the bad comments with excuses or quote that the majority of travellers enjoyed their Rydges experience. Thats what a good business does.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank jovilawi
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2008

Thank you for your notes on your recent stay.

The hotel management does its best to respond to all reviews taking on board subjective opinions and constructive feedback and does not try and 'cop out' on any issues raised. It takes these comments very seriously and it is discussed with the hotel team.

Firstly it was very disapointing to read the content of your review. Rydges Melbourne have been a long time sponsor partner of the VFF and although you have stated the hotel is not worth the price, it is deemed a very competitive deal for the VFF members. I will make sure we pass on your comments to the VFF to reassure them we are taking your feedback seriously (although anonymous).

In response to the items raised, I have responded below to the points made for other viewers.

1. The windows no longer open - the windows are never supposed to be open, they should be locked as the outside balcony area is for window cleaning only and not for guest use due to safety reasons.

2. Although beds are new they are lumpy - the beds are approx 18 mths old, they may be deemed 'lumpy' or 'soft' by some guests due to their design, they have a soft pillow top that may not be seen as comfortable by all guests, however beneath this layer there is a strong firm mattress that will support the body quite comfortably, the pillow top is designed to let the spine lay normally with support.
3. Two Bathtowels for 4 people - seems to be an oversight by HK, as the rooms are designed for 2 people normally, as noted on our website, they should have extra towels etc when more people are allocated.
4. Mould in shower - this is again a housekeeping issue and will be addressed.
5. Toilet flush button hit & miss - will need to get maintenanc eto inspect this as I am not sure what that means.
6. Broken lamp shade - Maintenance will need to inspect this and replace if necessary
7. Tired decoration so soon aftwr renovation - the suites have not been renovated. the ground floor was and some furniture items have changed but no renovation.
8. Sofa bed not made up - again seems an oversight or booking issues with the extra 2 people in the room - to be discussed with managers.
9. Coffee delays in restaurant - agree this is way too slow and will take this up with the DImattina management as to how this can be rectified on busy weekends.
10. Dinner pricing and the duck issue will also discuss with Dimattina management to review.
11. Smoking issues - The hotel is now totally non-smoking, there is a comfortable al fresco area outside the restaurant for smokers, it is preferred people don't use the roof, but this happens.
12. Busy check out - weekends are quite busy with guests leaving generally at the same time. The reception team do their best to get through this rush. There is always more than one receptionist on hand, I would guess that the others were either assisting guests or helping with luggage. There is express checkout facility for those people willing to completee these froms.

Agree with you last comment that it is not a full renovation, as it wasn't and we have not claimed it to be, as noted earlier.

I take on board your advice to improve as we always do and hopefully the suites will be better than this at some stage down the track,

Thank you once again for the time to submit the feedback, obvioulsy not a plesant experience and was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at the Windsor.

Please contact me direct if you'd like to discuss this further.

Reviewed June 2, 2008

What an experience. I organised accommodation at this hotel (even after reading some of the bad reviews) for a group of 15 people (7 couples, 1 single). 1 couple stayed 5 nights, 3 couples and 1 single for 4 nights and 3 couples for 3 nights. Now you would think that between 7 couples and 1 single we could come up with at least a few complaints like some of the other reviewers had. Well............ I'm sorry we can't. After arriving separately from Perth over 3 days we all flew home last night on the same flight discussing our stay in Melbourne. We have all been to Melbourne a few times and all stayed in different Hotels but this is the first time we have all stayed together. Some points made in previous reviews are slightly valid however I think over the top. Yes noise is heard (but that is everywhere) and some furniture outdated, but the beds, location and staff most certainly make up for that.
We all arrived at the same time (around 8.00am) over 3 days. A room was available there and then for each booking and much appreciated after flying all night. (very rare and rightly so as check in is clearly 2.00pm). The front staff were extremely professional and helpful. We had a range of rooms booked, 1 Queen Deluxe 21st floor (yes bathroom small but jeez some ex reviewers must spend a lot of time in there to actually complain), 5 Executive King Rooms (I didn't see them but all said were great), and 2 Executive Queen Spa's (one of which my husband and I had and was fantastic).
Most had breakfast each morning down in the Locanda Cucina Bar (located on ground floor) and WOW we couldn't wait to get down to it every morning. Absolutely beautiful. A chef at hand to cook eggs to your own liking. Now onto the staff in this restaurant. Breakfast staff (especially both egg chefs) were brilliant. The waitresses were lovely and catered to your every need. After breakfast each morning we all ventured out for the day and met in the afternoon down in the Bar at varying times. The bar was attended by the best staff (generally male). These guys were absolutely brilliant. They had professionalism, (quite a few business people attend this bar and obviously expect professionalism) but also personality. Never without a smile and constantly at your service. One special mention is for Walker. What a great guy. They have the best cocktails and range of drinks along with an excellent bar menu for the day. The staff in this restaurant are an asset to them. The Hotel in all is great and yes I/We would definitely recommend it. Thanks Rydges we will be back for sure.

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank teznlisa1972
RydgesMelb, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Rydges Melbourne on the TripAdvisor website and especially taking the time to read other reviews and our management responses. We spend a lot of time responding to each and every comment and appreciate the time our guests take to leave their valuable feedback.

All of the staff at Rydges Melbourne aim to provide the best possible service to our guests. As you mention the attitude of the staff can really have an impact on your visit and I am glad that you found our staff friendly attentive and eager to help.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Melbourne soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 24, 2008

We stayed at the Executive Spa Suite. Having read all the previous TripAdvisor reviews, and with seemingly every one of them regarding the Executive Spa Suite being negative, I was hesitant about booking the room, especially as there was only a short description of the room and no pictures or floor plan on the hotel website.

The car park under the hotel was full when I got there, and I had to leave my keys with the car park attendant, which I've never experienced before in any other hotel. The lifts up to the reception were new and fast and check-in was extremely fast and easy. To get to our room, we then had to use a separate set of lifts, which unusually were far older than the lifts from the car park. These sets of lifts, as mentioned by other reviewers, had buttons that were occasionally unresponsive and were quite bumpy when it came to a stop, though I still never found the lifts to be particularly slow throughout my stay. After getting into my room, less than 5 minutes later, housekeeping knocked on my door and asked whether I needed my mini-bar restocked. I told them that I had just checked in, but they said they still needed to check whether the previous guests in our room had used anything in the mini-bar, which they had, so they then needed to replace what was missing. That seemed very disorganised; that sort of thing should have been taken care of long before I got into the room, especially as I checked in late. The room itself had dozens of small flaws, which would go mostly unnoticed as individual flaws, but when put together, the problems really stack up.

Good things about the room?
- The bed and desk looked new and very clean, making them stand out from the rest of the older and dirtier furniture.
- The bed is comfortable as other reviewers have mentioned, but we've definitely had better at other 4 and 5 star hotels.
- The double shower was very nice, and it's the first hotel we've been to that has had this.
- Having a spa behind the bed is pretty impressive, despite its flaws.
- Overall, the suite is very spacious and there is a good view of the city from two sides of the buildings.
- I did not find the bathroom to be cramped like other reviewers have mentioned, though it's not spacious either.

Bad things about the room?
- Nearly every piece of furniture (apart from the bed and desk) seemed old and had at least a few flaws or tarnishes. The couches had stains, the tv had some piece of tape falling off it, and the wooden furniture either had weird marks or were slightly broken. Some reviewers had mentioned cigarette burns, but I didn't notice any. I did notice cigarette butts on a ledge outside the windows though.
- Other reviewers have commented that there was hair in the spa . I couldn't believe it but there was hair in the spa when I was there too (how is it possible that hair in the spa has been present so consistently for so many of the guests who have stayed there?), and the spa was already wet.
- The blinds were slightly broken.
- Oddly, 1 of 4 chairs for the table had a cushion backing but the other 3 of 4 chairs had no cushion backing.
- As other reviewers mentioned, the button to flush the toilet is placed inconveniently behind the toilet seat, half-obscured, so you have to move the toilet seat to flush the toilet.
- The light switches next to the bed were obscured partially by the bedside desks. Meanwhile, the lights above the bed were different colours, and one of them kept flickering on and off throughout the night.
- As for the heaters, they were effective but a bit noisy, especially the one in the bedroom which kept randomly making abnormally loud sounds.
- The entrance to the bathroom from the living room had a slightly elevated floor level, so it was easy to hit your foot on the bump on the way in, which happened to us several times.
- The windows in the bedroom had wire crossing horizontally across them.
- The information booklet and the information menu on the TV needs updating, it mentions 2 restaurants that no longer exist in the hotel.
- The LARGEST flaw is the lack of sufficient sound-proofing. Other reviewers have mentioned it, but I thought it would be fine since we were on the 9th floor. However, we could clearly hear every car horn and every drunken idiot yelling out at night (which they did frequently all the way up to 5 a.m.), as well as sirens of passing police cars and ambulances (of which there were 3 on the night), and in the morning we could hear jackhammers from construction work! We had to use the already overly loud heater in the bedroom to obscure the sounds coming from outside. The final result? It was absolutely impossible to have a good night's sleep. The hotel was not responsible for any of the noise but the room desperately needs better sound proofing, I don't know how guests on lower levels could possibly cope with the sound.

Despite the MANY flaws of the room, we still were able to relax for most of the day. It would still have been a reasonable experience if we got a decent night's sleep, but it was impossible with the noise. It is disappointing that the room is so bad, since everything else seemed pretty good. The service was friendly and efficient, the hotel has a good location, and the restaurant had good food and friendly service too. The price of the room is about $300 without discount, and for an additional $100, you can easily stay at an equivalent room in a 5-star hotel with none of the previously mentioned problems. If they improved the room dramatically (especially the sound-proofing), I would stay there again, but unfortunately, it just doesn't seem reasonable to stay there again otherwise.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Jerax
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2008

Thank you for your response from your recent stay at Rydges Melbourne. Your constructive feedback is important to us and have passed on the shortcomings to the hotel team. Hopefully the suite side room furnishings will be replaced at some stage in the future.

The suites are are great size and the bathrooms roomy with the exec suites enjoying a double shower and seperate spa bath. The hotel is also going to be looking at sound proofing the windows and will trial one room shortly to see the difference from the noise levels currently experienced.

The hotel will also be replacing all TV's with new LCD units hopefully by the end of June, early July. This will not only create more space but also allow new technology and better TV viewing for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time in Melbourne.