“Very Average......”

Ranked #78 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Very Average......”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a quick shopping trip as we wanted a little bit of luxury, unfortunitately we didnt find this. Poor customer service. Wasted half a day waiting for our luggage to arrive, only to find out it was delivered and signed for early morning and bags were sitting in lobby waiting to be brought up to our room. Very disapointing. Gentleman didnt want to listen to me when i tryed to explain situation and instead hung up on me with no Goodbye or apology. Good beds and location but thats it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MelbManager, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Apologies for the way we handled this situation, certainly something that I will be taking up with the team. Great to hear though that you enjoyed our Rydges Dream beds and the super location we have in Melbourne CBD. Regards Troy Cuthbertson / General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The room I had on the 15th floor was adequate for me as a place to stay while visiting Melbourne as a tourist. The room and bathroom were clean, and reasonably sized. The bathroom size was fine for an average size person, although the position of the toilet in relation to the open door can seem awkward. The in room amenities (e.g. closet, iron, hair dryer, clock, TV, and media hub) were all okay. The heat & air were tricky to figure out how to use to get the temp I wanted.

It was quiet throughout the night and evening hours with the exception of when the people in the room on the other side of the adjoining door spoke. I could hear them just as clearly as I could if they had been sitting in my room with me. The noise level from outside was minimal, although Melbourne must be an early rising city, because there was loud construction noise starting around 6am.

The location is fine, as there a good number of things to see that are within easy walking distance, and the free Visitor Shuttle has a stop on the same street and the free City Circle Tram has a stop a short distance away on Spring Street.

Checking in and out was quick and easy. The person at the reception desk was fine with calling and arranging my hotel pickup for the Skybus. The breakfast buffet at Locanda was good, although unnecessarily confusing with both placement of all the food and such and also the checking in protocol. I would agree that when they weren't just standing around having long conversations among themselves, the service people seemed to find some reasons to scurry about, but none of the reasons seemed to involve actually providing any service to anyone. Loose management.

I had a deep discount rate and with that it was a good value.I would stay there again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: The door between adjoining rooms didn't lessen the sound from the other room very well.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jothmas
Thanks for the detailed review of your Melbourne experience, sounds like we more than met all your needs. Regards Troy Cuthbertson / General Manager
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed @ the Rydges Melbourne over a course of 4 nights. My husband had a conference there so I had done a bit of research on this establishment before our arrival. My husband had stayed @ Rydges last time for another conference and told me not to expect too much. So upon our arrival they offered us an upgrade which I was glad we accepted. Our room was quiet spacious with a distinct area for the bedroom and another living area with a seperate lounge and TV and desk. The bathroom was quiet large and included a bathtub but only one basin. It was clean and spacious for only another $40 per night. Since I was by myself when my husband was in his conference I found that the Rydges was in a very good location to walk to most places. It was only a couple of blocks from the Bourke St mall, which lady can't lose themselves in a mall over a few days....Anyway, while it wasnt the Intercontinental Melbourne The Rialto, I found that the Rydges suited the event and the location. I think its relevant to mention that we had a great hot buffet breakfast every morning. I think the only down side was that there was quiet a bit of street noise early in the morning. I believe I was woken up a couple of times with the sound of bottles being collected. But we are in the city!!

Room Tip: Make sure you pay for the upgrades.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel Roz. Sounds like you had a great time while hubby was conferencing. Melbourne is a city you can easily get lost in for a few days regardless of your activities. Regards Troy Cuthbertson / General Manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Check in made a request for daily paper never showed, No Gym closed also Pool could have said so upon bookoing, No onsite shop as stated in compendium breakfast coffee is lousy buy a decent cup separate to breaky Rooms bathroom very dated rooms not cleaned properly.
Bar staff & Breakfast crew very helpful at the end of the day its the little things that count

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great Melbourne Location. In the heart of the Theatre District, this Hotel offers a great starting point to explore Melbourne. The breakfast was especially good. Word of warining the Bathrooms in the standard rooms are very small, clean and adequate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
canberra
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a great view from the 22 floor with a glimpse of the Yarra River and South Wharf. The room was lovely and comfortable - very modern, clean and a reasonable size. As other reviewers have mentioned, the bathroom was extremely tiny (awkward closing door to sit on toilet!!!) and a bit tired. Check in was efficient and friendly, bar was good with cheap drinks during happy hour. Only disappointment was a strong smell of cigarette smoke for an hour or so each afternoon - we queried the front desk about it the second day it occured and thankfully they must have fixed the problem because it didn't occur a third time. We also encountered strong cigarette smoke at the bar (from the smokers outside through the automatic doors - and we weren't sitting next to these doors). Would stay here again depending on the deal/rates.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 22 floor facing the Yarra.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MelbManager, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thanks for sharing your experience, its great to have such a central location like ours that is close to everything but still be able to get up high and take in the city views. Regards Troy Cuthbertson / General Manager
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Like many hotels in Brisbane, Rydges has the feeling of being once posh and new, now declining into a comfortable, charming spot in the heart of the city. Our room was on the top floor which meant lots of runs up to the pool in my cossies. Loved the option to use the nearby gym for free, which I took advantage of most days, and it was beautiful to swim on the roof watching the sun rise and set. The room was small, but clean and comfortable, with a lovely sinking soft bed. We experienced the brekkie buffet the last morning, and it was everyone you could want - muesli and fruit and smoothies and lovely cooked food. I'm vegetarian and I didn't feel deprived in the least.
Definitely going back

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
It certainly is a great view from the rooftop pool, sounds like you made the most of it Jenna. Breakfast at the hotel sure is one of the many highlites and I'd go as far to say it's right up there as one of the best in Melbourne. Not to be missed when staying at the hotel. Thanks for the feedback. Regards Troy Cuthbertson / General Manager