“King Room”

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #82 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Restaurant food was excellent, good location, Room was clean and neat... a little bit on the small size but good if you are literally there to sleep/change/shower. Didn't have to wait around long at reception and the pool upstairs was also nice for a dip when it was hot.

Room Tip: If you want a bit extra space I suggest a larger style apartment room if available.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rydges Melbourne Hotel

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Our company regularly uses the Rydges hotels for corporate travel and this hotel has always rated as one of the best ones and I can see why.
I arrived on very short notice to stay for 2 nights recently.
The hotel staff were a little scruffy at reception (shirts open a little too far) and I had to wait a good 10mins to check in as they were changing the toner in the printer!
Apart from that, the room I eventually received was exceptional.
Very spacious, quiet, comfortable, clean etc...
Room service was prompt but food when it arrived was a little cool, and it took me a whole day to find the fridge!
The complimentary water sitting by the bed was a lovely touch.
The hotel location is in an excellent location to use the free tram around the city circle, and there is car parking on-site (I did not use).
Upon check out I was asked if I enjoyed the pool... pool? What pool? Apparently there is a roof top pool. That would have been good to know in 35C heat!
Also, I asked the girl at reception to book me a shuttle and not only did she not know what a shuttle was, but when she figured it out she booked me on one that would have got me to the airport too late for my international flight!
Luckily I was able to hold me bag there until late afternoon and I checked the time to the airport with someone else who then promptly ordered a taxi for me.
My overall impression of this hotel is very good, although I think there is a training issue with staff when it comes to local information and presentation (did I mention the staff member chewing gum behind the reception desk or the un-ironed shirts?)

Room Tip: Book your own travel arrangement to/from the hotel & try & find the pool... I didn't kno...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I bought the CityHigh package for a great price for my boyfriend's birthday and we had a great stay on the weekend. Although the staff weren't overly friendly, the complimentary parking was straightforward and we checked in straightaway. We really liked our Deluxe Queen Room - it was a good size and the armchair was a good alternative than having to sit on the bed all the time to watch tv/read the newspaper. The aircon was a godsend (and not that noisy!) given the hot weather and the curtains shut out the light brilliantly (so much so, that we napped on the Sunday until midday!). The bathroom was a little small but as there are two additional mirrors (incl a full length one) in the main room, this wasn't an issue in getting ready for example. We had a great couple of hours by the pool but agree with a previous reviewer that it's a shame we couldn't enjoy a drink up there given the no-glass rule. The included 2 course dinner was really nice, as was the complimentary bottle of house red, but the service was very poor. Gave us something to have a giggle about but given the lovely romantic location, it did take away from the experience. Bed was incredible comfortable, buffet breakfast was amazing and we really appreciated the late checkout of 1pm. Brilliant location and perfect to complement our White Night adventures in the city.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 22nd floor and the aircon unit wasn't noisy. We had a room a decent distanc...
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was extremley dissapointed with the room. Was not good value for money. Website advertises it alot better than it actually is. I stayed in the queen spa suit and website advertises it as huge room with spabath. The room was tiny and really dissapointing. I have stayed at this hotel before in a standard room and the quality of that room was alot better. Really dissapointed i wasted my money

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Although the hotel is near the tram, it's already close to everything - business facilities, food, shopping and the theatre. Queen Victoria Markets and chinatown areboth nearby.

The rooms are small, but the beds are VERY comfortable. I stayed in a deluxe queen room, which is probably bottom range but was still well appointed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great place to stay, cleanliness of the rooms was to a high standard. Bathrooms are fairly squishy but not bothered by it. Great location as it was so easy to get anywhere within the city.
Overall had a great stay and made the weekend for my partner and I that much more special.

Room Tip: Just had a basic queen room had asked for a higher floor as the view is better higher up.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for one night and the hotel was perfectly adequate for that, but the room was quite small and the finishes were a little tired. The airconditioner was effective for such a hot day but noisy. The saving grace was the great location within walking distance of so much that Melbourne has to offer.