“Chitty Chitty Bang Bang & Chinese New Year”

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #78 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Hobart, Australia
“Chitty Chitty Bang Bang & Chinese New Year”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I took my daughter to Melbourne overnight so we could see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. We had a twin room which was very comfortable for a short stay. The bathroom was small but well appointed and we loved having access to the roof-top pool. We couldn't have been closer to the theatre if we tried and our stay coincided with Chinese New Year so with Chinatown on our doorstep we could hear the drums and crackers typical of the celebration! Would definitely consider staying here again and liked that I could use my Entertainment Card for a discounted room rate too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Mornington, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Had visitors from N.S.W. decided to take in a show and stay in town. We booked a "City high dinner package" what great value. From the moment we entered the foyer we were greeted with smiles.The check in was faultless. Young man who served us lunch in" Locanda" was so professional with such a pleasant manner.In fact any staff member we came in contact with couldn't have been more impressive. The icing on the cake was at dinner in "Locanda" food was excellent with wine and pre-dinner drinks with our deal.We were taken care off by "Mister personality" Mani Bedi.His title is Guest Relations. On this night I think he was helping out.So professional and so funny.He made our night.
We are regular Rydges stayers. But we do 5 star regularly here and overseas.This would have to be one of the most pleasant stays we have experienced in a long time.We may have just been lucky.But somehow I just think this Hotel is very well staffed and managed.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at the Rydges Hotel in early January for a quick break came in on the train from Sydney for couple nights before going back to Perth.

Our room was on the 15th floor and we had a great view across the city. The room was a typical size for a hotel lovely comfortable king bed couple seats and the normal table etc. but everything was spotless. The bathroom is a little tiny and u have to close the door to go to the toilet but everything u could ever need was supplied.

The best thing about the hotel was the staff and the breakfast. Breakfast was amazing absolutely every thing you can imagine was provided, hot food, pastries, cereals smoothies, omelettes toast bread sausages, bacon etc etc it was all cooked to perfection crispy bacon soft eggs just perfect.

The staff I can't speak highly enough of there was nothing to much trouble. They helped with directions and even had a HDMI cable so we could hook our laptop into the large tv to watch our own movies and look at photos of our trip on.

Right outside the hotel is a spot where taxis park that pull across to get you as soon as you nod or wave, it's within walking distance of the Melbourne Museum and right next to Chinatown and His Majesty's Theatre where we went to a theatre show. It really is the most perfect location. You can easily walk into the shopping district or within an easy stroll is the tram train and bus stops.

Would definitely recommend this hotel ask for a room on the highest floor for the best views.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up for the best views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Duc696chic
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here almost 2 years ago, and what an improvement, the rooms look absolutely amazing now. i generally travel on business with Rydges, however i was in town and decided to upgrade to a the jacuzzi suite for the special occasion, i am with the priority guest, so i ended up getting breakfast dinner carparking some drinks and upgrade room for roughly $380.00, which was great for before the show dinner and the room was ridiculously large, it was only my partner and i, but she absolutely loved it.
Service was always with a smile, look forward to my return, appreciate the lovely stay Rydges, well done!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt L
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at the Rydges for the Australian Open and chose that hotel because it was in the city within walking distance to the event and I was a Rydges Member which meant I got a discount on the room rate. I stayed in a deluxe queen room 1006. The room itself is quite nice, the beds and pillows are always my favourite part of staying at Rydges - they are divine. The list of improvements I would suggest are - bigger minibar fridge (I was staying there for 7 nights and it was not big enough to fit in much else that a small juice and yoghurt), bathroom is small, with limited storage space, shelf in shower is nowhere big enough to fit anything on and be prepared to sit right up against the wall when nature calls. The tv or the tv reception was pretty bad - I at least thought they would have had HD tv's in all rooms but mine wasn't good, they also don't have a channel guide to tell you what network is on what channel, it got very annoying to not have that and they didn't even have all of the free to air channels available - no 7TWO. I did order room service one night and was willing to pay the price of $19 for a hamburger and chips but didn't know they were going to charge me $4 for the tray, also it wasn't a gourmet burger, the bun was something you could by from the supermarket in a 6-pack. Also the equipment in the 'gym' needs to be desperately updated, the eliptical machine creaked so loudly that I was too embarressed to use it. Obviously I still did enjoy my stay in Melbourne, but it was mostly because of the reason I was there - not necessarily the hotel (and for the price I paid - avge $208 p/n - I expected slightly better on my return on investment)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

just spent a quick overnight stay at rydges Melbourne and I have never in my life experienced such stellar customer service. Ian in the bar is fantastic but über-special mention must go to Bonnie at the reception desk... informative, bubbly and just had a "no request is too hard" attitude towards her role and guests. 6 stars to her and Ian.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

The staff all deserve high marks for their quality of service. Had a great time and they could not do enough for us. Manager Travis and desk staff Michelle M. displayed top professional attitude and high quality service to us throughout our time at Melbourne Rydges.
Very enjoyable stay.