“:(”

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #85 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was disappointed when I asked to be upgraded to a spa room to find a poky little bath tub.... We were woken before six am by garbage trucks. The shower head was broken, the bath robes where like sand paper.... But the room was beautifully furnished and clean, I was not given any info on time I could check in. The guys in the car park were hard to understand and rude because we didn't know the procedure.... It was our first get away in over three years and it was terrible. :(

Room Tip: Photos on the website showing bathrooms and location within the hotel would help, info pack sent to...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikki R
Lisa_Parker_Rydges, Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I'm surprised you did not receive a confirmation email advising of check in time and hotel facilities once you'd made your booking. We have several room types available giving various bath and spa options. Our front office staff should have explained these options to you prior to you choosing an upgrade room type.

I'm pleased you found the room to be beautifully furnished and clean (as it shoud be). It is however, disappointing to read your stay was not a positive one and for that I apologise.
I will follow up with housekeeping regarding the bath robes as they are usually soft and fluffy.

I hope you consider staying with us on your next visit to Melbourne.

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,327)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed recently for the first time - asked for an early check in which they organised straight away. They were friendly and quick with their service. The hotel room was pleasant and the bed v comfortable. Concierge was wonderful and v helpful. Aircon was a bit difficult to handle but that was a very minor issue. Has quite a few good bars nearby, is close to the gardens and a five minute walk to the main shopping strip. On whole, was happy with the service and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a nice hotel in a great location but we were without hot water for 2 out of 3 days we stayed there. The food was also fairly average and it was very noisy due to work being performed across the road, including early Sunday morning

Room Tip: Get a south facing room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The Location was great, the room was dirty, the air con so old and noisy was a joke for the price we were charged rip off, the so called manager Travis should never have a job working with the public.

Room Tip: go some were else.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle99255371

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I'm sorry your expectations were not met on this visit.

Your comments regarding our Manager on Duty Travis shock me as we receive many positive comments on how helpful and professional he is.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel for a more positve experience in the future.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I recently stayed in a Deluxe Twin Room on the tenth floor for four nights.
The reception and main areas are nice and the rooms are fine but nothing fancy. The staff were very friendly and housekeeping was kind enough to sens an item my sister left behind by express post to her after we left.
Location is great, just a couple of blocks up from Bourke Street mall and a couple of blocks over from Flinders Street station and all that that entails.
The pool on the roof is handy with a good view of the city.
There were a couple of disappointing items though which I feel I must mention:
- The beds, while being comfortable, the base/fitted sheet wasn't actually fitted to the bed so it rode around which I slept and I found myself lying on the bed itself which was not ideal in any hotel;
- The hot water was out for one morning and also in the evening. When I asked reception staff about it in the mid-morning they said that it would be back on, then in the evening I went to use it again and it was still out. While reception were polite about it, no apology was offered which I found disappointing.
- Because there is no ventilation in the bathroom (that I could see) a lot of the towel handles etc are coming away from the walls, and a hole in the surface of the bath was a bit off-putting.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

It is pleasing to read your positive remarks on our friendly and helpful staff whilst in-house and also after check-out.

The solar heated roof top pool is very popular throughout the year and is surprisingly quite given we are in the city.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused to you as a result of the loss of hot water. Indeed, our staff should have apologised on the day. Thank you for advising me of the towel handles. I will ask our maintenace team to check these rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Acknowledging staff (Michelle) & colleagues who assisted at the point of entry & departure.
Staff at your Exhibition Address are most obliging and ensure that they deliver on requirements of the customer. I enjoy staying at Rydges particularly because of the staff and their attitude which is a delight.

Room Tip: Ask for a good quiet location.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was really looking forward to my night at Rydges, and left feeling disappointed. The room was tired, and the toilet was on a strange angle so you couldn't open the door fully, along with a tiny bath and shower. The air conditioner was very noisy, and even on the 18th floor I could hear the street noise.

After paying for my room there was suddenly an additional amount taken out of my credit card - I emailed to enquire what it was for and didn't receive a reply. I then rang and was told it was for the mini bar. I have never taken anything from the mini bar in my life! I now have to call back when the accounts department are open and apply for a refund. Sigh. A lot of work and hassle for a mistake the hotel made.

All in all, I will choose somewhere else next time I am in Melbourne.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo