“nothing special:(”

Ranked #79 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“nothing special:(”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice. The rooms are quite small but clean. However at our last stay I found a bug on the pillow just as I layed down, looked like a cockroach which I was not pleased about. I spoke with a manager who was apologetic. We had dinner at their restaurant which is overpriced for what you get. I had the worse oysters kilpatric, could barely taste anything except tomato on them. We ate quickly and left.
Its at a great location to see the city, theatre etc. Probably one of the best locations. There is plenty of choice for restaurants in the city.
Reception staff were pleasant. Breakfast was very good, pancakes were great.
Our first experience was better than the second. Not sure if I would stay again. Nothing stands out as being exceptionally good, nothing that would really draw me back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
It was disappointing to read you had an average experience on your recent stay and that there was attention to detail lacking in the cleaning of your room. The food in the Locanda Steakhouse is normally of a good standard and the menu is reasonably priced for the meals. The oysters Kilpatrick are also normally well patronised and the recipe has not changed in the years we have had them on the menu, I can only imagine they did not prepare these properly from your description. The recipe is unique, it’s not the normal bacon and Worcestershire sauce that some restaurants do, however this in itself has been very popular. I will certainly review this with the kitchen. Sorry you generally found the stay underwhelming, but can assure you we do try to make all our guests very comfortable and feel they have had good value for money.

General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I generally stay at the Rydges for both business and personal reasons when travelling to Melbourne and have always found the rooms clean and tidy. The bed is very comfortable and while the bathrooms are small they are always clean. I have always found the staff helpful and friendly. The last time I stayed there I left behind a sport shirt that I was particularly fond of. Upon contacting Rydges I was put in contact with Ken from housekeeping. As promised he contacted me when he had found my shirt and then proceeded to express post the shirt back to me without charge. He was very helpful and thorough in recording my details to ensure I received the shirt promptly. I was very impressed with the level of service and Ken's ' can do' attitude . Will definitely stay again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank appycampa W
It was really pleasing to see the procedures for lost property worked and Ken was able to locate your missing item and get it off to you without incident..I can imagine it is always a little anxious when you leave something behind and that you may doubt you will ever see it again. Glad we were able to assist and hopefully see you back with us again...

General Manger
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Upon reading some reviews I was quite worried on what our experience might be but I have to say I will definitely stay at this Rydges again without any hesitation. Apart from the bathroom being a little on the small side our room was spacious, comfortable and clean with pleasant city views. We were also pleasantly surprised to receive a bottle of red wine to help celebrate a special day. Location is tops as it is walking distance to theatres, shopping and many fine dining restaurants.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the higher floors very quiet and private.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pepster57
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Was really pleasing you had a positive stay and that any concerns you may have had were unfounded with the experience. I am glad we were able to exceed your expectations with the service and facilities provided and also added to your special occasion with the small gift.

Gold Coast
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Only stayed here for an overnight stay. Had a twin bedded room and it was quite small but ok for what was needed. As mentioned in the previous post the bathroom was exceptionally small - tiny even!!!! Our room was clean (obvious wear and tear in the bathroom). Noisy sheets!
That all being said the location of this hotel is excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience and appreciate your comments on the hotel. I certainly understand if your found the room and bathroom tight for your needs, we do try to maintain the rooms in a good standard to ensure cleanliness and presentation. The location is a positive aspect of the property, close to most shopping and other points of interest. I hope we see you back with us again.

wooloomooloo
Reviewed October 24, 2012

As an Australian, I would like to be more supportive of this local brand, but I find this extremely difficult. For starters, everything is overpriced, from the room rates to the communication charges (especially the slow and unreliable wifi) to the restaurant downstairs. Don't even start me on the ludicrous minibar prices. OK, so the idea of a hotel gouging for these things is not new; but 5 star prices should at least match the quality of the hotel, which in this case it doesn't. The rooms are small - unusual for an Australian hotel - and the bathrooms are particularly tiny, with little room to manoeuvre and no space to put anything. Decor is outmoded and a little tired in places, while the colour scheme runs the gamut from brown to tan. While I am glad that some guests have reported excellent customer service here, I found the few staff members that I encountered to be uncaring and clueless. I have been generous in my personal rating of this hotel because some people like the 'lived-in' look, and, it must be acknowledged, the location is excellent, very handy to the theatres and some of Melbourne's best bars and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dr_iggy
Firstly it was great to see you choose to support Australian companies, as the largest Australian hotel chain, we certainly appreciate this attitude. It is however, disappointing to read you felt you didn't receive value for money and that some of the items you purchased were over-priced. The WiFi in the hotel has just been installed and we have had very positive comments on it's speed and ease of use, the charges at $18 for 24hrs also is competitive in the Australian market, as a Priority Guest you also get 50% off this cost. We have also recently increased the pipe speed in and out of the hotel from 4-4 to 30-30 to ensure great speed. Up to 100 users can use the system at the one time in a meeting at any one time. The in room bar prices are also not cheap I agree, but are normal retail pricing. Was also concerning to see you found the guest service not to be of a good level with your experience, clueless as a description of my team doesn't seem altogether accurate as we do try to ensure they are trained effectively, and from other traveller comments, you would note that they do show signs of caring and going out of their way to ensure guests have a good stay. I apologise that you had a poor stay with us, it certainly is not a reflection of the Rydges brand and hope you still choose to select Rydges in your future travels.

Yours sincerely

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is undeniably well located. The main negative was the room - they were old, the toilet didn't flush properly and the carpet was dirty. And don't get me wrong, this wasn't even the cheapest room - this was a suite! Breakfast was fairly standard, but serviceable. At the pricing of suites, I would probably suggest against staying here given the luxury just wasn't there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I get what you are saying and am confident there will be a big difference with the suites from next week with the upgrade starting and I am very grateful that there has been a lot of patience from our guests in the meantime who have enjoyed the space but not so much the standard we have portrayed. Your comment on breakfast was a surprise as we have had very favourable feedback from our guests after we improved this area with the new Rydges Rise breakfast. I can only imagine when you came to the venue the team had either been slammed with demand and had not replenished the stock. I am hopeful you will journey back here and have a better experience with the improvements we make.

Mildura, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We blew in from the country covered in dirt with a trailer in tow. Rydges staff found us a special car park without so much as a raised eyebrow. Our room was cosy and comfortable. When there was a glitch with our key card, staff member Mani went the extra mile to compensate for our slight inconvenience and covered our 3 day parking fee. Look out, Rydges, this guy may get headhunted!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I love reading stories of experiences that relate to exception service, as you may note from other reviews, our man Mani the Concierge gets quite a few mentions! He is a great asset to the hotel and I get your point on the head-hunting, but am confident knowing Mani, he just loves working here with the team and wouldn't be swayed elsewhere, why would he when he has such a good rapport with our guests?....